Want to buy Q but don't want an internet plan

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by A_wax, Dec 5, 2006.

1. vzw7

vzw7 New Member

No Data plan - no pictures

kalikat0403

Hi, When I called VZW that what they told me - I will not be able to sent or receive pictures but everything else I still would get. So if you don't want the data plan and want it blocked, just remember you will also be blocking out pictures as well.
  2. dblakester

dblakester New Member

I purchased the Q for the same reason, to use as a PDA and phone only. I pay an extra $10 a month for text and multimedia messages which include pictures and videos. The unlimited plan is much too expensive.
  3. inf3st

inf3st New Member

If you get the data block. that picture messaging plan won't do you anygood. You have to be able to use data to send MMS. I would drop your $10 plan to something else. They should have done that 4 you when you got the Q.
  4. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

Running - or attempting to run a Q, with its EVDO connection - without an unlimited dataplan is a potentially costly mistake. As previously suggested, if you are going to do it, go with a data block. Do not attempt to manually "limit" yourself on data usage - its not safe, and the cost for using data without a plan, or using more than the 10MB limited plan will be far, far more than the monthly charge for unlimited data. Consider that my Q, with EVDO coverage will download 10MB of data in less than one minute.

I think one mistake that people make when evaluating the cost of unlimited data is that they look at it as $44/mo vs nothing, when in reality it is the DIFFERENCE between the nondata plan (exorbinant when you use it) or the limited plan ($24/mo) and the unlimited price. Is watching your internet use like a HAWK or risking a bill tack-on of between $50-$300 because someone emailed you a link to a streaming video that you mistakingly watched, or you downloaded a couple of PDF files, really worth the savings of $10-$15?

I will be the first to suggest that data costs too much, especially through Verizon. That being said buying a Q, or similar smartphone and THEN thinking about the cost of data is alot like buying a new BMW and leaving it in the driveway because you can't afford the insurance...
  5. A_wax

A_wax New Member

So what plan do you have exactly.....the one you have sounds like what I want. Do you have a data block and still send text and picture messages without being billed for data?
  6. dblakester

dblakester New Member

I had the Verizon rep put a block on the internet usage which I imagine is the same thing as the data block. So with the $10 a month plan I can send and receive multimedia messages and text messages and I won't accidentally use the internet because it is extremely expensive. The plan I have is called "Unlimited IN 500 MSG Camera" on my bill. Let me know if you have any other questions. With this plan I can send and receive unlimited text and multimedia messages with anyone on Verizon and 500 messages with people on other carriers like Cingular and Sprint, etc...
  7. kalikat0403

kalikat0403 New Member

ugh.... i'm just so confused. I don't want the internet, I just want to be able to send and recieve text and picture messages. I also have the Mobile Web 2.0 and used it with my LG VX 6800 to check my email. But I am not sure that is even really applicable with my Q. I know its only 5 but it'll add up.
  8. dblakester

dblakester New Member

It sounds like what I describe above is what you want. You just won't be able to go on the internet.
  9. kalikat0403

kalikat0403 New Member

i just called 611 and they told me they can not put an internet block on my phone because if they did that I would not be eligable to recieve picture messages.
  10. dblakester

dblakester New Member

Well they did it on mine but that was Verizon Midwest and I've noticed differences from the different areas of the country.
  11. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

Unfortunately the Mobile Web 2.0 feature is NOT available with the Q, or any Verizon smartphones. It doesn't seem fair that they essentially make unlimited data usage available to regular (BREW) cell platforms for $5/mo, but that they have the $44/mo unlimited plan as the only EFFECTIVE option for the Treo, Q, and other smartphones.
  12. wmscottmc

wmscottmc New Member

I wonder how many people are paying $45/month for internet access? It is way too expensive for personal use. I like the phone but mainly use it for a phone and pda - an Im ok with that.

Unless I used it for business I would never pay for a $45/month dataplan - thats more than I pay for all my home pc's broadband access per month. Its a nice feature but not worth the price (to me). I would be like VW saying that you can use the nice camera on the phone, but for a monthy charge of $25. I just wouldnt use it.

Im on the internet enough on my home and work pc's, I can live without it while Im not at home. If the price comes down to about $20 month Id sign up, but until that happens I wont pay almost $50/month to browse the internet.

What does Cingular and the other companies charge for a dataplan?
    Is there any hope of the dataplan price coming down anytime soon?

Thanks, Scott
  13. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Cingular charges $40. Sprint charges $15. You can escalate the Sprint price by adding SprintTV, etc.

If it becomes a major factor in decision to go with one provider over another, then the wireless providers have no choice but to compete on price. My concern is that Sprint will raise its price, rather than Cingular and Verizon lowereing their price. Having two accounts with VZW, it would be great if they lowered their data plan pricing.
  14. bigmisiu

bigmisiu New Member

Verizon Wireless requires a data plan before they activate your phone. Here they are:

Ala cart (charged per kb) - expensive!!
    10mb (overage chages apply)
    Unlimited (email) - $45 month

The ala cart isn't really a data plan but they want to make you aware that if you use (which you will) you will get charged.

-D

15. wmscottmc

wmscottmc New Member

you dont need the data plan for texting, but you do need to send picture messages.
  16. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Data block is available ie. No data plan. Maybe it can't be done until after activate but many other users both in this thread and many other threads I have read this year have used it to protect themselves from unwanted charges.

Although I originally only wanted to combine my phone and PDA there are so mant other things I do with my Q that I wouldn't want to be without unlimited: WLS/GPS, Slingplayer, email, weather, stock market, etc

One other word: SERO
  17. ermax

ermax New Member

Yep.. Google SERO. You will be shocked. If only I knew about SERO before I signed a contract.
  18. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Me too...but I got lucky...I ended up getting my wife a Razr on SERO and the rep suggested I call a regular CSR and tell them I wanted to switct my Q over to the same plan rather than swap phone nos and phone then dropping data on the regular line and the rep did it now 2 Sero plans for what I was paying for one w/data. Didn't take effect till the next month start date but it's definately in effect.
  19. wmscottmc

wmscottmc New Member

SERO looks like a great deal. Its surprising that VW is still charging something like $45/month for a data plan. You would think that they would have to lower this soon to compete. I have a data block now, due to a few very high monthly bills.

I would probably pay $25/month for a data plan but no more. Im not going to pay more for my phone dataplan than I do for my pc broadband. Even though it would be a cool thing to have, Im surprised that so many people are paying for this very expensive monthly data plan.