Want to buy Q but don't want an internet plan

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by A_wax, Dec 5, 2006.

1. A_wax

A_wax New Member

Want to buy Q but don't want an internet plan

My phone plan with verizon is up in about a month and I want to upgrade to the Q from my very junky Motorola V265 phone. I want the Q for its phone and pda functions, not necessarily for internet and email. I carry a PDA and a phone and want to combine the two.

When I spoke to verizon in MA, they told me that I could not get the Q without a voice and data plan which would add way too much cost onto my current plan. I asked why I had to get the voice and data plan and they said it was because the texting/sms would not work properly if I just had a regular plan.

Is this true, because I go to school in CT and 2 of the stores down here have said that I can get the Q on a regular plan. Let me know if I absolutely need a voice and data plan or not. Thanks!
  2. fmkjr19

fmkjr19 New Member

I do not see why you could not get it without the data plan... txt msg and data show up as two different line items on the bill...

They might be telling you that to push the $100 instant rebate on the phone but?

frank
  3. ddrouin

ddrouin New Member

You do not need a data plan. BUT, you will push buttons, accidently or on purpose, that will cause the Q to go online. You will get socked with per/minute charges for data. The CT guy is correct, but the MA guy is watching your wallet.
  4. wmscottmc

wmscottmc New Member

I just purhcased a Q and also want the phone and pda functionality, but am not interested in paying $50/month to browse the internet - thats more than I pay for 3 computers broadband access at home for a month.

I am surprised that so many people are willing to pay this much for internet access on the Q. It would be a cool feature if it were free, but Im pretty sure that the novelty would wear off after about a week for me.

I talked to the VW sales guy he told me that I had 2 options.
    1) pay for a data+phone plan and get the phone for $99
    2) pay $199 for the phone, and a phone only plan

I chose option #2 (bought a used ebay phone).

Do most users find it worth it to pay $50 or more for a data plan on one of these smartphones? Ill do it once the price comes down to $20/month or less.
  5. wmscottmc

wmscottmc New Member

one more thing - somebody correct me if Im wrong - but I believe that text messaging works with the phone plan, picture messaging works with the data plan, so if you dont send pictures you are only using the reg. phone plan.
  6. A_wax

A_wax New Member

What is the smallest data plan availiable from Verizon, is it still the 450 per month? If that isn't the smallest, how many minutes is it and what is the cost? Also, are there any student discounts available trhough verizon for this type of thing?
  7. troutseth

troutseth Guest

I wish the data plan was cheaper. However it is worth it to me because I travel so much for work. The cost of internet at hotels (not all are free), cost of internet at airports (most are not free unless there is a presidents club) and the random hot spot cost (even with a T mobile account) was more than 50 bucks. I chalk it up to paying a premium for better service. I have had Sprint and ATT/Cingular over the past three years and while they both have cities with great coverage I would travel to some places with NO coverage. and I do mean none. That was unacceptable for me. So here I am paying a little more.

EDIT I went on verizon's site and they have a bundle of 1350 minutes and unlimited data for 109. The plan for 1350 is 79 without data. That means the data is only 30 bucks if you use this many minutes? Anyone on this bundle?
  8. JeTDoG

JeTDoG New Member

VZW reps are full of it...

Nah, the MA guy is watching HIS wallet... they tried playing that same game with me in OH, and after I explained to them (repeatedly, almost to the point of walking away from the sale) that, yes, I know what DATA is, and I don't intend to use any of the DATA functionality at this time, they finally acted like good little sheeple and just sold me the friggin' phone.

It's YOUR choice, you could even buy a Blackberry with a voice-only plan if you want (thought that would make NO sense).

That being said, now that I've had some time to play with mine (just passed 15 days, sent the $100 rebate form in today), I like it A LOT. I may get on a data plan after January, if I can convince my boss to shoulder the incremental cost. I'm a website manager, and this will allow me to prototype mobile versions of the sites I manage, as well as give me 24/7 update capability, so it's to their advantage to subsidize me.
  9. mgrosser

mgrosser New Member

I had no trouble getting the Q for $99 (after the $100 rebate) with only a voice plan. After I told the sales rep that I did the same thing with my previous smartphone, he didn't argue a bit. I have been able to send and receive text messages with no problem, although I don't recommend doing it regularly if you didn't pay for unlimited text message.
  10. artificialmaps

artificialmaps New Member

The question was essentially answered already, the answer being - no, you do not need a data plan. I don't have one. The other members are correct in saying that you might accidentially press a button which needs to utilize the internet, etc. For this reason, I had Verizon put a "data block" on my account, and they'll do this for no charge. Essentially, it blocks web use and picture messaging, but allows regular text messaging (I have a plan for text messaging).

Oh, and btw - just because you have the "data block" doesn't mean you can't recieve picture messages, your phone will just direct you to -
    http://vzwpix.com - which allows you to view your picture messages, for free!

HTH, take care,

--
    Shane H
    shane@NOSPAMavenuedesigners.com
    http://avenuedesigners.com
  11. A_wax

A_wax New Member

So even though I have a text/picture messaging plan, I still can't send picture messages without a data plan?
  12. fmkjr19

fmkjr19 New Member

You do not need the data plan for pix

You do not need the data plan for pix msgs...

try to send one...

frank
  13. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

On the Q you need data for mms. Most phones don't work this way.

You have several data plan choices at verizon though they don't like to admit it:
    Blocked
    Pay per kb
    $24.99/mo for 10MB
    unlimited for $45/mo
  14. A_wax

A_wax New Member

And an mms is what exactly, and how is that different from an sms?

15. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

mms is multimedia message service to send pics. It requires a phone with data capability. On a non vcast phone like a SP verizon can't control what you use data for and has to charge for any data. On a vcast phone they can control mms charges and separate them from internet due to the brew intrface.

sms is short message service text only and only requires an sms capable phone. It uses audt or whatever signaling through phone system like when the phone alerts you to new vm. It can be separately monitored/charged.
  16. trent_duke

trent_duke New Member

Where are you getting $50 a month for internet/data?

I was paying $39.99 for 450 on my reg phone(most people I call or call me are on Verizon or I use during off peak. In 2 years I have yet to go over). I bought the Q and their cheapest combo plan is $79.99 which is only $40 for the internet. And one does not just pay for the internet or the option to surf. You are paying to get timely delivery of info via email also. Also allows some downloading via net.

If you have the Q, you can just get it for the phone. If you wanna text and/or send pics you should get a txt/pix plan. I pay $5 for sending 50 outside and unlimited within verizon customers. I never have gone over.

Good luck, got my Q Sunday and still learning...

Trent
  17. vzw7

vzw7 New Member

I just got off the phone with VZW through #611 and your right you can block the data feature if you request it. The store proably won't tell that but you can. Also anytime you have a problem with your phone or service dont't handle it through the store - dialing *611 you will get better service and they will listen to you and your problem to work it out.
  18. kalikat0403

kalikat0403 New Member

sorry i'm just a bit confused here. so basically i have picture messaging but i can't send or recieve pictures bc i don't have a data plan?! thats B.S. I am going to have to investigate more into this when I get back from NJ visiting my sister. I love my Q and think its awesome but I'm annoyed with VW racket for their data plans.
  19. trent_duke

trent_duke New Member

I thought one could send and receive pics via phone to phone but apparently one cannot like on a regular phone. When I go to txt/menu/insert...picture is there but not in bold as an option. Anyone know as to why?

It seems as though one must do it via an email... :gasp:

Trent
  20. vzw7

vzw7 New Member

Hope this answer your question

trent I'm not sure why either but i believe that because you can get internet on a non smartphone it would work the same way. If you have questions, I would dial *611 and ask them. I wouldn't go to the store for help because they are useless after you bought your phone. The people at *611 are good because that what they're are there for "support" and seem to know alot more then the store people.