VZW full homescreen help

Discussion in 'Q Home Screens and Wallpapers' started by hellogoodfriend, Feb 21, 2008.

1. hellogoodfriend

hellogoodfriend New Member

VZW full homescreen help

I'm trying to remove the "News" and "Get Applications" line from the VZW full layout and i've been looking through the code of full.home and i can't figure out which line(s) to remove. does anybody know which lines or just point me in the somewhat right direction. sorry for being such a noob! :laugh2:
    thanks!
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

look for the plugins that have webaddress's in them
    its probably towards the bottom of the code
  3. hellogoodfriend

yeah that's where i'm looking and i'm having no such luck. am i even correct in looking through the full.home.xml? i've looked through it and there is not one line with a web address in it.
  4. stockspeed

stockspeed Member

If you are talking about the Verizon home page the file is vzw.full.home.xml

This is the plugin.....

<plugin clsid="{79C2BAE5-81F2-40ab-88B1-2458EE17DDF2}" name="VZW_SHORTCUT_PLUGIN_2003">
  5. Der Alta

Der Alta New Member

Stockspeed is correct. Deleted this plugin:
    and reload it to your Q.
  6. hellogoodfriend

i can't find such a file on my Q

i'm looking through: My windows mobile device> application data> home

the closest thing i have to the file you are saying is full.home and i couldn't find the plugin in that file. i can't find vzw.full.home.xml

am i looking in the right place or is it located somewhere else?

EDIT: i found it guys. its in a hidden and system file and my folder wasn't set to view those files. i got it now. thanks for all the help from everyone!
  7. stockspeed

stockspeed Member

That should be the right place. The full.home.xml is the 'Windows Default' home screen. Which is why you don't find the plugin. It's not the Verizon Home Screen. Maybe the Verizon file was renamed? One thing you could do is download all of the home screens from that directory to your PC, then edit each one and look at the fifth line down in the xml file. See below:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <home>
    <author>DAT Group</author>
    <contacturl>http://www.datgroup.com/</contacturl>
    <title lang="0x0409">VZW Full layout</title>

The name in that fifth xml line (in the example above VZW Full layout) is the name that will display when you go to Settings, then Home Screen, and then scroll through the screens to select from. The file name in the directory can be called anything. You could name the xml file Mombo.Dogface.In.The.Banana.Patch.xml and as long as that fifth line says VZW Full layout that is exactly what it will display in the settings home screen selection menu.

As I say, you can try to download all of the files and check the names in the xml. If you're seeing the Verizon home page on your phone then the file has to be in there, it may just be under a different name.

Good luck.

(Standard Stockspeed Disclaimer): Anything you do with your gear is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. This is a stupid idea that will probably ruin your phone, set your house on fire, bring the FCC to your door, ruin your crops, and send famine and pestilence across the land. And as the operator, it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to not take the word of some raving lunatic on the web like me. Your mileage will vary. I'm probably lying. You have been warned.:2cool: {disclaimer credit to o'reily.com}
  8. eko

eko New Member

you guys cant find it because it is classified as a protected system file. To see it you ahve to turn on show protected system files in your folder options.

I have attached a zip that contains the vzw home file. I have modified it so that my name is in the title so that you can select it and taken off the internet shortcuts. You should be able to edit the attached file to take anything else off like bluetooth ect that you dont want

Attached Files:

9. stockspeed

stockspeed Member

Right eko, but I didn't think that he/she would be able to see the full.home.xml if they still had the hidden files... Learn something new everyday.
  10. eko

eko New Member

yeah for some reason the microsoft ones arnt protected files but the verizon ones are, go figure
  11. hellogoodfriend

hahah yeah. i got it all set up now and my homescreen looks amazing. Everyone is so helpful on these forums. i love it here.
  12. eko

eko New Member

glad to hear its working for you and that you like it here
  13. mahoneys

mahoneys New Member

I have never changed my home screen before, but I would also like to get rid of the "News" and "Downloads" buttons. I tried editing the vzw.full.home.xml file on my computer and then moving it back, but it said that I did not have access or something along those lines.

Could anyone help a new person to home screen modification?

Thanks.
  14. Der Alta

Der Alta New Member

VZW locks the file as protected. You can't overwrite the original. What you'll have to do is rename the file on your PC (VZW.modded.full.xml for example) and then copy it onto your Q. You'll then be able to utilize the new screen.

Or you could copy Eko's modified screen and just load that to your Q.
  15. eko

eko New Member

additionall if you are going to rename yours in order to see it on your computer you will have to go to folder option > view > and then find and uncheck hide protected operating system system files then apply. You will then be able to go in and see the file you are looking for. Rename it on your desktop. Homescreen file name sturcture has to remain like filename.home.xml so whatever you name it make sure that it ends with home.xml I named mine ekovzw.home.xml. Anyways after you do that also you need to go to the file properties and uncheck the box that says read only other whise you wont be able to edit the file and then save it. Dont forget to go back to folder options and recheck the hide protected system files so that you dont accidentally delete something that windows needs :)

But like dr A said why not just the one I modified aleady and posted on page 1 :) You can dl it and modify it however you like
  16. stockspeed

stockspeed Member

And...as posted earlier in this thread...

When you rename the XML file, you probably should edit the fifth xml line (in the example below 'VZW Full layout') to the name you used for your new file (or a name that you'll recognize). This line is the name that will display when you go to Settings, then Home Screen, and then scroll through the screens to select from. The XML file name in the directory can be called anything. You could name the xml file Mombo.Dogface.In.The.Banana.Patch.xml, but the name that will display when you go to settings and try to select your new page will be the name in that fifth line. I always rename to something different than the original (i.e. VZW Full layout) because the original file is still there...at least I always leave the original. And to have two different XML files in the directory with the same name on this line is probably like "crossing the beams in ghost busters"... Doing so is really really bad. Just a guess. :wink:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <home>
    <author>DAT Group</author>
    <contacturl>http://www.datgroup.com/</contacturl>
    <title lang="0x0409">VZW Full layout</title>

...plus all the thing Der Alta and eko pointed out.
  17. mahoneys

mahoneys New Member

Thank you all for your help, I will try it out when I get a chance tonight. I appreciate all of the fast replies, and yes, I may very well just download the one you provided. Thanks.
  18. mahoneys

mahoneys New Member

Thank you all for your help. I re-named the xml file that I created so that it had a .home.xml on it, and it works great now.

Thanks all.
  19. tfolks206

tfolks206 New Member

ok so i tried reloading it onto my Q after i edited everything but it didnt work.

could someone please edit the VZW classic view. so it is everything that is on it currently except "get news" "get application" and "appointments"

or any help on what i can do to make it work i would appreciate

EDIT: NVM GOT IT!
  20. tfolks206

tfolks206 New Member

is there any way on the VZW classic layout to make the icons a little bigger and only include say 5 icons instead of the usual 10???