VZW 6.1 Follow-Up - WM6.1 available.

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by Brent372, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Facade is a great front end home screen organizer that is very flexible and you have a wide variety of configurations to suite just about any taste.

SK Tools lets you REALLY control your WM phone with a minimum of registry hacking.

I don't have the links handy but I think that both have trials. You can't loose that way for sure. Google them, the sites are there.
  2. brandi1026

brandi1026 New Member

Exact same thing is happening to me so I feel your pain. I've tried it on my laptop running Vista, another laptop running XP but it won't even download because the internet connection gets interrupted, and am going to try it on a family member's laptop tonight. Motorola said if it doesn't work I would just have to send my phone in, and I really don't want to do that. Good luck!
  3. mbrevard

mbrevard New Member

Crap I am having the same issue. I am like you though I do not want to send it in!
  4. marmarinou

marmarinou New Member

It sounds like a PC-dependent issue. Can you try it on someone else's PC?
  5. rgn2000

rgn2000 New Member

have not idea why it worked, but after the 5th attempt it updated and now I do have 6.1. I tried a different USB port, but I really don't think that was it. Keep trying it will eventually work.
  6. marmarinou

marmarinou New Member

I think you're on to something here ... USB ports do matter ... the "guidelines and instructions" PDF doc linked on the Motorola Support site says not to use a hub or docking station ... if anyone else is having this problem, try using a different USB port and let us know what happens ...
  7. brandi1026

brandi1026 New Member

I have tried way more than 5 times in every USB port, 3 computers and no luck. I just wish I knew what the problem was, it's so frustrating! Maybe I'll just have to send it in, I'm stopping by Verizon tomorrow and see if they can offer any help, but that's doubtful.
  8. monkey050

monkey050 New Member

I'm about to upgrade with the official solution (after having a hell of a time with Sprite Backup and Archie to get my stuff backed up. sheesh. phone wouldn't reset itself properly.) and I'll let you know how it is. One of my friends has some other Pocket PC phone on Sprint and had 6.1 for who knows how long already...

I welcome the arrival of threaded texting. And isn't there supposed to be 3 clock alarms now, right?

I'll let you know how my upgrade was after I finish.

Fake edit: Wow. I just had my second BSOD on Vista in a half hour. Probably bluetooth driver issues. Grreeattt... Another thing to worry about.

Edit1: First try, got to 50% and mysteriously stopped and asked me to reset or re-plug-in the device. Nothing worked. Took out battery and started again.
    Edit2: Looks like it's going now. Talking about an SOL. I hope it's the good kind of SOL. :D

Edit3: I'm making a note here... HUGE SUCCESS!
  9. dondoola

dondoola New Member

question

if i have a sprint q9c and want to load the vzw upgrade(i have cricket).. would that work?
  10. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

I know for sure it will on an USC phone but not sure about Sprint. I DO know that the Sprint 6.1 upgrade will not work on a VZW Q. Also, even if it will work - you'll have a VZW branded phone.
  11. Miata492

Miata492 New Member

make sure that you have hard reset / master cleared your phone before attempting the upgrade. sometimes you can do it without it, but you really should do a hard reset before any rom or mol update.
  12. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

why?
    the update does that for you
  13. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

The Motorola update?
  14. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

yea the ROM or MOL update erases the phone
    so my question to Miata492 was why master reset the phone before an update
  15. monkey050

monkey050 New Member

I didn't master reset either with the manual upgrade either. It only hiccuped that one time but I don't think it was related to not doing a master reset. I've got 6.1 running fine and dandy.
  16. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Gotchya !! I suppose that it wouldn't hurt anything if you did, though - just take less time to flash. Thanks.
  17. Miata492

Miata492 New Member

i cant say if there is a specific reason why. i started doing that back when i did my very 1st rom update - on my samsung i730 (from wm 2003se to wm5) and if you didnt do a hard reset 1st, it either would not work or it would take longer. so when i did my 1st mol update on my old q and my new q9, i have always just done it. i have done mol & rom updates for a lot of people and when i have forgotten to do a hard reset 1st, the updates did not work. so i dont think it is a rule set in stone, but i think it is just good practice and makes the update go smoother. maybe it might have something to do with 3rd party programs or reg hacks - not too sure!
  18. monkey050

monkey050 New Member

Hm. There's no more txt message confirmation screen for me. Not even a sound. That sort of bothers me. I need some confirmation that it sent.

I also wish the font size could be reduced a bit for the threaded texting. (Can it? I can't seem to find any options for that anywhere.)

Edit: And I think they should have made it so that if you're on your home screen (ie. not doing anything with the phone) and you get a txt, the panel should switch to the message panel so you can preview the "intro text" for the message.
  19. Brent372

Brent372 New Member

It's called SMS Bubbles.
  20. monkey050

monkey050 New Member

Yeah, but now that they have the sliding panel that can show some of the message, it would be nice if it just automatically slid to that panel.