VZ wireless sync question

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by jskinvest, Apr 3, 2008.

1. jskinvest

jskinvest New Member

VZ wireless sync question

Is it a good idea to use VZ wireless sync for email? Are the emails pushed in real time? What are the advanatges and disadvantages? Thanks.
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

personally i did not like it, but that's me... one of the advantages is that there is only data transmitted when there actually is mail, "regular" email polls regardless if there is mail or not.
  3. doogald

doogald New Member

Well, I have been using it. I am using my gmail as a mail catcher for all of my mail accounts (as the WM mail client is missing SPAM filtering - big omission for me), and I have the VZW Sync Server set to fetch my gmail account. Basically, I get pinged with new messages within 15 minutes of them hitting my gmail account. That is good enough for me.

My only gripe is that when I reply I cannot set a reply-to address. Otherwise, it works perfectly well for me.

The software on both ends (web interface and the WM client) are pretty ugly, though. Pretty bad UI.

For me, the advantages are that my device isn't wasting battery checking every x minutes/hours for new mail - they get pushed instead - and you can set a schedule, so that it will only push between, say, 7 am and 11 pm. I also know that my contacts and calendar can be synced to the server so that if my device hard resets or something I can get those things back within a pretty short period of time.
  4. jskinvest

jskinvest New Member

What do you mean by: "My only gripe is that when I reply I cannot set a reply-to address."
  5. firecracker37

firecracker37 New Member

When you send an ougoing email it comes from your vtext account (xxxxxxxxxx@vtext.com) instead of coming from the email addess that the mail came into.

So far that is also my only major issue with the progam as well.
  6. doogald

doogald New Member

As I said, I am using gmail to collect e-mail from several e-mail accounts, and the VZW wireless sync software collects mail from that gmail account. So the mail that gets pushed can have been originally from any one of four e-mail accounts. However, if I send a message from mail, whether a reply or a new message, the mail comes from my gmail account.

This makes sense, though it would be nicer (for me) if the mail client had the "reply-to" address header field available so that the default could be changed to something else for a particular e-mail message.

It's a minor gripe, and only because of the way that I have it set up. The software is stable; I have had no issues with it at all. When you install it on the Q9m it sets up a hideous looking "home" screen, but you do not need to use that home screen - the software works fine with any home screen.
  7. doogald

doogald New Member

Actually, if you log in to the wireless sync web server from your PC and go into the general user settings you can set your e-mail address to be something else.