VPN Connect

Discussion in 'HTC Snap | Ozone' started by Peregrine, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

VPN Connect

Anyone get this to work yet on an Ozone?
    I set up the VPN connection but I can't for the life of me find the option to CONNECT?!?!?! Go into CONNECTIONS and all I can do is EDIT.

Tried a search but VPN is to short a term.
  2. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

well the vpn in these phones is really ph'd up. assuming you actually have a server that actually supports the miopic config, it works like this. did you configure the vpn for connects to work? when an app requests a resource that isn't a fully qualified domain name it assumes it is a lan resource and first connects the vpn.

let us know if you make headway. in the last seven years with wm i have never gotten it to work. i have numerous pc's configured for vpn into our net. i can browse our net file system with my phone when i'm local via wifi. i can copy files back and forth and even print to network printer from my phone.
  3. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

A few months ago I was at the bar and a buddy says "hey check out my new phone!". It was a Saga, not on Verizon. I notice it has VPN. I put in the numbers for my VPN server. (*Note I am the IT manager*)
    On the Saga it tells you how to connect. So I hit Connect. To my utter surprise it connected... and stayed connected. I enter my PC name into the Remote Desktop Connection... it CONNECTS! I am looking at my PC on the tiny little Saga screen.
    2 months later I get a VZW Saga pretty much because of that feature.
    Can't get it to work. Try again and again and am not able to repeat the success I had on my buddies phone.
    I ditch the Saga because of the horrific battery life and becuase I have never been a fan of the "Windows interface" on a phone. Now I have aa Ozone (which so far I love compared to the Saga) and cannot figure out where the CONNECT command even is!
    I wonder if VZW has anything to do with it not working because, as I said, it worked beautifully on my friends non-VZW Saga.
  4. chinch

chinch New Member

sounds like a firewall or setup issue.

Verizon Ozone comes with "remote desktop" installed (start menu) which works great too (assuming you properly setup your remote desktop PC/firewall).
  5. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

I know it has RD. What I cannot find is where to CONNECT the VPN.

START > SETTINGS CONNECTIONS > VPN > all I can do is NEW or EDIT EXISTING. My VPN is there. How do I CONNECT?
  6. larsdennert

I have a BS in Computer Science and I'm ashamed to say I can't figure it out either.

I think our VPN server just doesn't support the correct version of MSCHAP for PPTP and L2TP seems hopeless to configure properly on the phone.

Yes you can cheat and just expose 3389 and not tunnel for RDP. What's nice is if I'm local on our wifi, I can browse our network file system with the phone. If I could tunnel, I could do the same.
  7. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

Right!
    I have many certs and 15 years in the industry and I got nothing here.
    lol
  8. larsdennert

Hey I got it to work!!!

This thread really got me thinking again. My suspicion was always that my hardware vpn server wasn't compatible. So instead I tried the vpn server that's built into windows.

Follow this article
    http://www.aeonity.com/frost/howto-windows-xp-vpn-server-setup

Disable any other vpn servers you have configured on your firewall and make sure to forward 500 and 1723 to the windows box.

Now on the phone. Create a vpn connection (use pptp for simplicity) and use the username and password that authenticates on the windows box. By interogating the server I have learned that the phone uses MSCHAP v2 which our hardware solution didn't support. Anyway, make sure the phone isn't connected to an Exchange server or something constantly requesting the internet or it will immediately disconnect the vpn again. You can monitor the connection from the server side.

I was able to RDP through the tunnel but you have to use the server's internal ip 192.... LAN names don't seem to work (yet). I tried installing netbios on the server but haven't been able to get lan manger names to route.
  9. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

I think you are missing the point, though, Lars. I cannot for the life of my find the option to CONNECT from my Ozone. I go to connections> VPN > and all I can do is ADD or EDIT or DELETE. That's it.
    On the Saga you press and HOLD on the VPN entry and CONNECT pops up as an option. No such luck on the Ozone.
  10. larsdennert

I understand. Our only Ozone is in Hawaii at the moment so I can't help. At least I'm getting closer. I'm off to find a ping and packet inspector app to help get the connectivity sorted out though. I have a Q1 handy but it is missing buttons and a battery so I can't check to see how I used to do it.