voice recognition

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by gjackson78, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Tired.Monkey

Tired.Monkey New Member

My VR works very well, even outside or in the bus.

But... I got sick 2 days ago ans since there, i have some problem to use it. Like if my Q dosent understand me anymore. I hope it will be ok when my voice will come back.

I wonder if the Q "learn" automaticaly when you use voice recognition? Anyone know that?
  2. shpritz

shpritz New Member

Tired.Monkey how do you turn it off???

How do you actually turn the voice recognition off of speaker and directly through the handset???
  3. mfpreach

mfpreach New Member

My Voice Recognition doesn't work at all.
    I'm too lazy to do a hard reset but does anyone know how to make voice recognition work again? For me it loads and asks for the command, when I say something it just kicks me back to the home screen.

Would rather fix it than hard reset, don't wanna install all these apps again.
    Let me know!.
  4. chatmaster20

chatmaster20 Member

I bought 3 Qs for my company. 2 of them worked great and VR was excellent. My Q was terrible, it would not even come close. It had some other problems with reception and synchronizing, so I called Verizon and they sent me another unit. This one does not have any problems with VR. I think it just depends on the unit.
  5. gilbertja

gilbertja New Member

Mine doesnt work well either, using my Bluetooth or handset. It will dial a phone number pretty much flawlessly, but when I ask it to call someone it is horrible. I will say "call dad" and it will want to call my friend Betts, or my bro Matt. When I ask it to "Call mom" it sents me to the applications. I have trained the numbers, but is there a place to train the voice? I have looked but I cant find it.
  6. bobbenedetti

bobbenedetti New Member

Names too short

None of the voice recognition programs that do not need training (ie do not use tags) do not like single syllable names. Try using the full name or at least a more complex version for example call mon mother
  7. nacnack

nacnack New Member

My only issue with VR is that when I'm using my BT device it takes forever to pop-up. I realize that depending on the BT headset, the ability to speak clearly can be an issue but to press the button on my BT headset and wait 10-15 seconds for the VR to que-up seems like a very long time. I've currently shut my BT off to save battery power and think I'll just go with the speaker and see how that works for a time.
    I use the plastic phone clip that came with the phone on my car visor and just use the speaker phone vice BT for my car. Time will tell.
  8. prome

prome New Member

Voice Recognition work fine for me, specially when I am driving

After I bought Q, the most important feature for me is voice recognition to make call through my bluetooth earphone since I drive a lot. But after installes several apps it begin appear error of voicesignal.exe... pitty
  9. fmkjr19

fmkjr19 New Member

Size of contact list impacts the time too

For me I noticed the larger my contact list is the longer it takes for the "first" time for the VR... However, if I make a few calls in a row with it I noticed the speed is very good.

I also found a few third party aps were seriously slowing down my Q... I removed a few aps from my Q yesterday and immediately noticed an increase. The main culprit (for me) was newswatch. I did like it but as soon as I removed it I noticed a serious speed increase. :)

frank
  10. inf3st

inf3st New Member

Mine can't tell the difference between YES and NO.
  11. fmkjr19

fmkjr19 New Member

my kids were that way too when they were young :)

my kids were that way too when they were young :)

I also find some adults the same way... ha ah... sorry...

Yes, there are times when it will act up but usually it's ok.

frank
  12. bobbenedetti

bobbenedetti New Member

Most likely you have a third party app that is conflicting. Try removing them starting with the most recently installed to figure out which one is the culprit.
  13. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Yes & No

That's my biggest issue with voice recognition, too. Many times, the VR program correctly picks the name that I want, but asks "Did you say...?" Saying "Yes" almost never works. You can train the digits, but not "Yes" and "No". :angry:

To be fair, my Motorola V710 also had the same problem with "Yes" and "No", but I discovered a useful shortcut for that -- pressing the headset button was taken as a "Yes". That made my voice dialing useful again.

Unfortunately, on the Q, pressing the headset button terminates VR. However, if you press the OK button (or the scroll wheel straight down), that works. It's not as convenient when driving, because I keep my Q in the holster it came with, so I have to adjust things just right to get to the scroll wheel. If I had a case, I might be out of luck. (Hmmm, I was considering buying a case, but I just realized I'll have to make sure it allows easy access to the scroll wheel or OK button....)

Another "trick" to using voice recognition is to say the name as stored in Contacts. If you used full names (first middle last), say them all. I store full names, but found using just first and last gave errors trying to call some contacts.

One thing I wish they'd add that my V710 supported was a "Redial" command. It makes it much easier if you're having trouble getting through to somebody. Instead of having to say "Call John Doe Mobile" over and over, saying "Redial" saves time. (This is also very useful for radio call-in contests.)

Steve
  14. teechur

teechur New Member

On my Jabra bluetooth if you hold the activate button down a little longer than normal it redials the last number.

Your tricks are right on. I also found that giving someone I call quite often a "unique" sounding name really helps. Oh, and screaming "YES! I @#$^@ SAID YES!!!" doesn't work very well.
  15. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Screaming

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: True, but it feels good.

Steve
  16. mjkunz

mjkunz New Member

Voice Command 1.6 is compatible with the Q

Voice Command 1.6 is compatible with WM5 smartphone. It also works through a bluetooth headset. That is a new feature. I have used VC for many years and it has always been the best performing voice recognition software in my book!
  17. bubbatex

bubbatex New Member

Do you have to purchase 1.6 - or is there an upgrade path?
  18. acarter00

acarter00 Member

My voice command works like a charm. I do have all of my contacts sync'd from Outlook into my phone with first and last names to help distinguish syllables, so that may be the reason it works so well. I speak normally thru my Q or Motorola H700 headset and it always dials exactly who I state. :laugh2:
  19. mjkunz

mjkunz New Member

Voice Command 1.6 Works!

Voice Command 1.6 for Smartphone is compatible. The only problem is when you try to initiate VC through a bluetooth headset it always starts up the built in voice recognition software. So far the only way to startup VC is with a speed dial key. If there was a way to remove the built in voice recognition software then Voice Command would work great! I don't know how the rest of these users have their contacts setup but I cannot get the built in voice recognition software to work either. I have just been using Voice Command by hitting a speed dial button. If I find a way to remove the built in software I will post the information.
  20. mjkunz

mjkunz New Member

No upgrade path!

There is no upgrade path that I am aware of. I had 1.5 for Pocket PC, but had to purchase 1.6 for 39.99 as well. There are 2 versions of it on Handango. One for Pocket PC and one for Smartphone. If you purchase the CD copy from a store it might have both. It works perfectly I just need to find a way to delete the Voice Signal from my Q!