Voice Recognition application not working 100%

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by fusion1, Sep 4, 2007.

1. fusion1

fusion1 Member

Voice Recognition application not working 100%

I find lately it is hit or miss. I am using a Motorola HT700 (I have 2 of them) and I have tried an additional Ativa BT210 headset.

I click the headset to bring up the voice recognition software and the standard prompt: "SAY A COMMAND" occurs. I would say, "CALL xxx". For some reason more often than not, the program's voice will repeat, "DID YOU SAY CALL XXX?" If I say yes it will move to the next contact. Very frustrating.

I notice this occurs more often if you say the name unsure or in the form of a question. Sometimes it works normally if you yell the answer like you are going to kill the person.

Is this happening to anyone else?
  2. fusion1

fusion1 Member

Is it just my phone experiencing this phenominon?
  3. MattB

MattB New Member

Yeah, I've found the voice recognition to pretty much suck.
  4. redtop91

redtop91 New Member

Unfortunately no voice recognition app is foolproof. It comes with the territory.
  5. I have yet to get the voice recognition to go to anything I say. It's not even close. Let's keep in mind that this phone, though it's in the smart phone arena, isn't even close to being anything more than a cute package of crap.
  6. DrQ

DrQ New Member

I find the voice recognition to be the same as most others I've tried. It's not trainable so the user has to adjust rather than the software adjusting. I and others have noted the problem with it understanding "yes" but do find I use it to call contacts. My choice is usually the first one on the list and I have to make sure I distinctly say yes.

As for my cute package, I bought the Q to combine my palm Tungsten and my phone, understanding that I would lose the touchscreen. I have found so many other uses through the forums. I just returned from a trip from Boston to Vegas where I did all the following, plus some, with my Q: made a phone calls, checked email, listened to music on the 5 hour flight, tethered my laptop saving $12/day hotel WiFi charges, got directions with WLS, routed with my BT GPS and watched my home analog TV while waiting for the flight home, all the while remaining cute and fun to use.

Did it do these all perfectly? No, there were a few reboots and battery changes. WLS isn't like a dedicated unit and I learned I have use it a supplement to my map and brain and not to be relied on solely. All that being said I still love my Q and will stick with it for the next couple of years till my next move which would like a Mogul like device with a little thiner form factor, WM 7.0. But for now I've got my Q and I'll find ways of managing it's use on EQ.
  7. Perahaps you are willing to settle for something that doesn't do what half the others will. Mind you I've come from using a palm treo. Therefore I am quite used to what a smart phone can and will do. I am also familiar with what most low cost throw away phones will do. Most of them will allow you to make a setting such as the ring profile, and it will stay the way you set it, without having to change it back after a call... Perhaps you noticed while in Vegas you had to change your time zone... To suggest it's acceptable to have it not change time zones on it's own, is way out there. Like I said, sure it will do a few things.. however it will never be anything close to what it can be unless they update some things that are far from even good.. let alone perfect
  8. DrQ

DrQ New Member

No I didn't have to change time zones.....the Sprint signal set the local time when I landed and mt appt reminders went fine. I'm not sure of what your "ring profile" difficulty is but when I set some thing it stays set, except for BT profiles. The WM 6.0 software does need alot of user tweaking and 3rd party help. I did look at the treo 700's when I got my Q in January but didn't like the price or the bulk. The new 755's seen sleeker. I'm not sure what the others can do that mine isn't doing. (I'm not a gamer and don't care about the low res phone cameras) I lack your experience and am interested in what I'm missing.

(I don't IM....I know other like the IM's and threaded text.....what else?)
  9. I'm not sure what you've done to make the time zone change, but it certainly doesn't work on mine. The sprint signal hasn't changed mine yet... I go through time zones daily. All I want is for it to change time zones and the ring profile to stay put. when answered with the bluetooth, it goes to handsfree, now it won't ring. If those two things were right, I'd stop blazing Moto...
  10. DrQ

DrQ New Member

I don't know why my phone changed. I turned the radio off (flightmode) while on the plane then turned it off and back on when I landed. I did change the battery and maybe that did something.

As for the Hands Free profile change I'm not sure what you're describing. I leave mine in Normal and when I turn on my BT it switches to Headset then back to Normal when I turn it off. If I'm in a meeting I use meeting. When you go into Headset Profile/Edit are you set as ringer type "ring"? I'm assuming you are saying "Headset" when you say "Handsfree"

Hope you solve your problems and if you have other things your other devices would do for you, please post them as we all love getting our Q's to do new things.