Visual Voicemail

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by cbusguy23, Jun 27, 2007.

1. cbusguy23

cbusguy23 New Member

Visual Voicemail

Has anyone found a way to have "visual voicemail" like the iphone? I guess there is a program called Simulsays but it appears to only work on the Blackberry Pearl and 8800.
  2. Benso87

Benso87 New Member

I don't really understand how this could work. At least not without phone companies changing the way their voicemail works, like I kind of assumed AT&T did for the iPhone.
  3. LE1010

LE1010 New Member

Visual voice mail? Like it displays what the person who left the message is saying in text?

Please explain I'm intrigued
  4. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

exactly that...from what i read about the Simulsays..basically it interprets your voicemail into text and shows you on your screen
  5. wjpooley

wjpooley New Member

Well first off there are two seperate applications available.

SimulSays and SimulScribe. SimulSays is an application that functions a lot like the iPhone's Visual Voicemail. SimulScribe is an application that converts your voicemails to emails/text messages to essentially read your voicemails.

I actually went looking for a Visual Voicemail application and came across this service this morning. I couldn't find the version for Windows Mobile so I emailed their technical support. The company has removed the link and apparently has plans to make the download available again this upcoming Monday.

I don't have much more information than that. I do know that I read somewhere that this service will not work with Sprint, but when asking the rep. he said that is was an issue with the Blackberry and the problem had been resolved with the Windows Mobile edition. (He says... I thought it was a network thing rather than a handset issue).

That's all I've got. Good luck. I think the visual voicemail idea is a great one, although I do realize it isn't that pertinent to everyone out there.
  6. n99hockey

thats good to know...thanks for the update!
  7. qwho

qwho New Member

I thought that the iPhone's "visual voicemail" feature was supposedly an improvement only because it has an image of the caller and their name, so that you could quickly identify who called, and who left a voicemail, as well as play it directly on the phone, rather than dial into a voicemail service. In the keynote speech, I recall this was what I saw. I do not remember actually seeing the text of the voicemail transcribed for the person receiving the message. I have *not* watched the latest iPhone video that walks us through new features, so correct me if that feature is now going to be offered on the phone.

A decent alternative to vz vmail is callwave, which sends you a text message with the name of the person who left you a voicemail. It isn't the text of the message, but it is nice, because rather than a simple notification saying "you have x number of voicemails" you can get a text saying soandso left an x-second message. That way I know which of my missed calls left me voicemail.
  8. n99hockey

do you use callwave...i was checking out there website and it looks pretty cool...
  9. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

Visual Voicemail on your iPhone works like this:

If you have, say 8 voicemails. Lets say you don't even want to hear 3 of them because you've already talked to those people or whatnot.
    Your screen will show you who those voicemails are from. You can then choose to listen to VM #5, instead of having to listen to them in order to get to the #5 as all other VM systems currently work.
  10. qwho

qwho New Member

Yes, I love it. I hate voicemail, and it lets me see just who it was who left them for me. Example: 2 missed calls, 1 from my girlfriend and 1 from my old room mate from college. I am going out with my gf that night, and I see one of them left a voicemail. With callwave, I can see which one left the message because it sends a text saying who left the message instead of sending you the alert. That way I don't waste my time dialing *86 to hear some ridiculous drunk dial voicemail from my old room mate.

You sir, are correct.

Callwave is like the poor man's visual voicemail. It actually replaces the vz mail. I guess it intercepts it. Try it out. It's free.
  11. n99hockey

good to know...thanks!!
  12. n99hockey

@qwho

another question...does it show up as a Vmail on your homescreen if you have a counter as well as the icon on the top of the screen?
  13. pekoe1111

pekoe1111 New Member

If I get a voicemail, it comes right away, plus I have a Home Screen with a Missed Call screen. With Callwave, you have to check your e-mail to have it show up on your Q, right?

Sure I want to see the record of the call in my e-mail, but not if it means I have to manually check my e-mail. Am I missing something?

BB
  14. 1983Q

1983Q New Member

Does callwave work on Motorola Q????
  15. n99hockey

yes it does
  16. Guerrilla

Guerrilla New Member

I have to check this out when I get home. Does it work with any service? Please tell me this works on an Alltel Q :D

-Posted on my Q
  17. n99hockey

it should work with any service
  18. 1983Q

1983Q New Member

it said Callwave does not work for sprint.
  19. kennybain

kennybain New Member

GrandCentral

I am using GrandCentral and it has the effect of "visual voicemail". I give out my GC number and when people leave a message, I can view who called from my phones browser (pocket IE). I can then choose which messages to listen to.

One caveat - the audio files will not play in Windows Media Player. You have to listen to them with TCPMP.
  20. Guerrilla

Guerrilla New Member

I had some problem setting up CallWave (No CallWave prompts when I called my number) and I haven't heard back from their support, but I should give this GrandCentral a shot. I like the idea of Voicemail via PIE. I do wish CallWave would work out (and be cheap after beta is over), but the PIE idea is nice as well.