Vista not detecting moto q

Discussion in 'Windows PC and Moto Q' started by q5485, Jun 6, 2008.

1. q5485

q5485 New Member

Vista not detecting moto q

I have read the previous threads on vista not detecting my moto q. I tried all the solutions in that thread (such as enabling/disabling advanced network funtionality, uninstalling WDMC a million times and reinstalling it, trying to update the phone software using motorola software update) but nothing works. When I plug in my phone, the pc detects that something is attached to the usb port and it tries to install a driver for the phone.
    It always "fails" and it cannot install the driver. When I go into my device manager on my pc, I see the Windows mobile device in it and under properties, it says" This device cannot start: Code 10".
    Before trying to install the motorola software, I was told to update my usb ports using http://support.microsoft. com/kb/941600 . Even after installing that update, nothing has worked. Apparently some of you have been successful in getting wdmc to work. FIrst, it does not launch when I plug in the phone. Sometimes, it does launch and I can see the name of my phone on it but it just freezes on "connecting" and after few minutes the WDMC window says "error".
    It seems like the phone and the pc can detect each other but they are not talking. How can I install the correct software on my vista machine and have the phone started (so that I don't get code 10).
    Everything worked so fine with activesync 4.5 on my xp pro machine. But this vista machine is making me very mad, as it is faster, more storage etc but I can't get my q to sync. I do have outlook 2007 on it but it does not even let me "explore" the phone or even see it.

I would appreciate if someone has a good solution.
    I have searched the fora for a solution but am at my wits' end.
    Thanks
    K
  2. ogormask

ogormask New Member

I had no issues ever with my q and vista until recently now my office pc works fine but my home pc is having almost the same exact issue. It will charge using usb but I cant synch it no matter what I do. I have tried everything but have had little time to complete my work. I will see what I can find out today and then if i do find a fix report back here.
  3. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

this may sound silly but I had the same issue. Ended up uninstalling the USB port on pc and rebooting. After it reinstalled itself.. works flawlessly
  4. coolingoutofhabit

coolingoutofhabit New Member

I just got my phone and was having similar issues in Vista. Vista did an update for me and found the device drivers, but the real culprit was my firewall. I'm using AVG Internet Security 8. I don't what you are using but it could be the problem. AVG has instructions on their site on how to enable WMDC.

Hope that helps

Jared
  5. pussy69

pussy69 Guest

Goto: 'Settings' > 'USB to PC' > and uncheck 'Enable advanced network functionality'.

That should do the trick.
  6. Zinja

Zinja New Member

Nice handle. wtf?
  7. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

have you tried Vista Dashboard?
  8. ogormask

ogormask New Member

USB to PC advanced whatever was the trick!

Thats the dumbest f-in thing i ever heard but it suddenly worked the minute i unchecked that!

Thanks so much!
  9. That One Guy

That One Guy New Member

where is the USB to PC setting located.i cant finds it anywhere

never mind i found it shortly ofter posting this

works great now.that is gay how they have that set up.IMOP
  10. eatkins

eatkins New Member

Stupid question as to what you posted above. Is this on the phone where you are changing the setting? I am waiting on my Q9H to come in and run vista on my laptop which is what I will use with the Q9H.

Eddie
  11. coolguy827

coolguy827 New Member

Try restarting the Q and your computer. Might not work but you have nothing to lose :) and instead of a restarting the Q, go ahead and the battery out for 10 secs.
  12. bballrob

bballrob New Member

This was the solution!!!

I've had a Q since last October. Up until 2 weeks ago, getting the computer to recognize it was like playing the lottery. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. I tried everything.

That Q died a couple weeks ago, and I got a new Q, thanks to the warranty. This time, I decided i was determined to make the connection work properly. I came to the forum to look, and came across this post. It has connected on the FIRST TRY, EVERY TIME now!!!

Thanks Q Forums!!!
  13. Geekster

Geekster New Member

And you searched? You did?
    You get a blue ribbon and a glass of TarHeelsRule Kool-aid! Glad everything is working out now!
  14. wb3v

wb3v New Member

It does work!

I had the same problem that was fixed by unchecking the block BUT only after I removed what turned out to be a damaged mini SD card.
  15. speicte

speicte New Member

I had trouble getting my Q to sync the first time with win2k. once I ucnhecked that, it worked great. thanks.
  16. jpxx02

jpxx02 New Member

where do i find the settings thing at? is this on the pc or phone?
  17. jaccsi

jaccsi New Member

I was having the exact same problem. I could sync at work but not at home. Unchecking the "Enable advanced network funtionality" fixed the problem for me. Thanks much!!!:smile:
  18. tzilayaz

tzilayaz New Member

Windows Vista sucks with WM devices. I tried many times to share my dsl connetion between Vista running PC and Q, it failed. Also I can't access the Win directory of Q with Vista.

If you want to use your internet connection on your WM device and grant access to windows directory through sync, you better use Active Sync on Windows XP.
  19. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

to acces the windows directory of your Q through WMDC you need to unhide the hidden files on your Q. I haven't done anything with sharing a PC's internet with my Q because I have a data plan. But I believe that it is possible.
  20. mattdick

mattdick New Member

Still nothing

I've had my Q for roughly ever. It's running WM 6.1, and I've had every problem in the book getting connections, getting ActiveSync working, getting PDANet working, and I've fought through them all. So until I got Vista, everything was finally working as it should.

Now with Vista (32), I want to connect via the USB. Device Manager can see the phone, but WMDC will not do anything but occasionally show me a splash screen. Sometimes it doesn't even do that, it just spins the pointer for a few seconds and silently dies. I've uninstalled and re-installed. I've power cycled the phone, I've uninstalled the USB drivers and re-installed them. I've unchecked the Advanced Network Properties. I'm at my wits' end. Anyone have anything beyond what I've listed?

Thanks,
    Matt