***virus warning***!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by beats, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Can y'all say "MEDIA HYPE?" Shades of Y2K, eh? :) -Q
  2. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

I agree... even CNN was hyping this thing. It really shows you how desperate they are for news stories these days. Basically the whole thing preys on people that aren't computer literate enough to understand viruses and such.

The whole problem, and I didn't really understand this up until recently, is that there are a majority of computer users out there that have no computer maintenance skills whatsoever. - literally, none at all. They don't update windows or download service packs, they don't run firewall and antivirus software, they don't run regular full disk scans, and they don't practice common sense.

What's common sense? common sense is *NOT* clicking on that giant flashing banner that says "Spank the monkey and win 500.00" ... that's *NOT* installing 50 different toolbars from companies who's products have no conceivable use for a toolbar except to harvest information from you.

It always baffled my mind how all these viruses get spread so quickly and do such damage, and it really dawned on me... people are quite stupid when it comes to computer security. I mean really stupid. It's almost a joke. They just turn their computers on, do whatever they want to them, and expect them to just work like an Xbox or something.
  3. EQBob

EQBob New Member

The problem has more than just a single root cause. You've identified one. Most people are woefully uninformed about computer security. They essentially treat it like their TV...after all, your TV never gets a virus and you can click on anything and change to hundreds of channels and pop in DVD's, etc.

Speaking from a Windows standpoint, MS is horribly at fault. They've created a system that is so kuldgy (technical term) in terms of accomplishing things that there are 50 ways to do something, 48 of which a common user doesn't understand. Not to mention things like creating a protected core that malware couldn't penetrate. Control Panel? Services? Security Center? What's That? Registry? There's little to no credible mechanisms for teaching this stuff to the woefully uninformed and they get thrown to the wolves.

The wolves are the portion of the population who prey on others, if for no other reason than they can. They create malware, fake malware, scare people, try to take over things, etc...

Then there are the corporate wolves who do not have the consumer's best interests at heart, because if they did, they'd have a serious cash flow reduction.

It's not just people being stupid. It's people being greedy, money hungry, obnoxious, ignorant, thinking only of themselves, malicious, etc. In general, people are being people.

Give me animals any day. Far more majestic than the low-lifes much of the human race has become.
  4. EQBob

EQBob New Member

The media hype contributed greatly to Y2K being the non-event that it was. To savvy users, media hype is overblown, because "we already know all this sh*t". To the woefully uninformed, that may be the only palce they hear about it.

I'd rather have CNN out there giving decent, easy to follow verbal and visual instructions on how to check to see if you're infected with Confickr (as an example), than to have them ignore it.
  5. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

The Conficker Working Group has a lot of information regarding this worm. It even has this great "eye test" that uses the worm's own self-protection to its advantage. Since Conficker blocks access to many anti-virus sites, the "eye test" uses image links from a few major sites to see if you are possibly infected.

The Eye Test

Conficker Working Group

PS: The CWG Homepage seems to load slowly for me, possibly because of all the other people who are accessing it now that the worm is active.
  6. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

I SOOOOOOO agree with you here !!!! Yeah, yeah . . . they SHOULDN'T ignore it . . . just NOT present it as if it were some sort of Armageddon. Heeee :) -Q
  7. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

Couldnt have said it better myself..I have heard of a BSI however fortunatly I have never had to deal with it *crosses my fingers*

not to argue with you, but by definition a "worm" is not necessarily a "virus". Not to say that a worm is no less lethal....for some reason im remebering the movie "Hackers" (with Angelina Jolie oliolioli lol). The true hackers of that time were so angry about how that movie portrayed them and that the data was not correct that the site was nuked out of anger lol.
  8. EQBob

EQBob New Member

9. beats

beats Member

the original computer is the human mind. if the mind is infected, so shall its actions be....

...don't ask.. :) :) :)
  10. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Quite true. I saw that close up through most of 2008.
  11. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

12. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Nah. I just knew the Marine in charge of IT in an 8-state district through the networking community (Banyan Vines). That's all. nothing mysterious.

And that was a looooooooooooooong time ago <G>
  13. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

do you know what you could do with that program now?! lol
  14. EQBob

EQBob New Member

not much if there aren't any BSI viruses floating around <G>
  15. EQBob

EQBob New Member

16. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

17. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Not sure what you mean. If you're talking about the current actions of the virus, I would suspect it is only the beginnings. Based on it's ability to spread rapidly, and reinfect numerous times, (even after patching), and mutating, it is one of the most well-written viruses ever seen.
  18. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

The fact that it is know to have "hatched" so to speak means that thus detected can be dealt with. It's what you DON'T see that'll getchya, eh? I'm not going to debate this, just follow closely and you'll further understand exactly what I "meant." :) -Q
  19. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

I think it was just an April 9th thing...this too shall pass :)
  20. Tech.erella

Tech.erella New Member

You know what would be funny? If someone made a line of underwear that had the message "**Virus Warning**" put on the front of them....they wouldn't sell but it would be hilarious to me.

/threadjacking