***virus warning***!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by beats, Apr 1, 2009.

1. beats

beats Member

***virus warning***!!!!!!!!!

DON'T OPEN ANY UN RECOGNIZABLE EMAILS AFTER MIDNIGHT 3/31/09 AND INTO 4/1/09. SOME NEW VIRUS IS SUPPOSED TO STRIKE MICROSOFT SYSTEMS WORLDWIDE STARTING APRIL FOOL'S DAY.

ANYBODY HAVE A LINK TO FREE SECURITY SOFTWARE?POST THEM.THANKS IN ADVANCE:2cool:
  2. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

This site has lots of Instructional materials.. Along with some tps by the pros.

:)

Most anti -virus company's have some sort of free online pc cleaner that should take care of it.

*edited for stupidity*
  3. beats

beats Member

why can.t smartphones get sic.they are computers aren.t they?(not that I mind)
  4. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

there haven't been any viruses discovered that target windows mobile (at least yet). If you're worried, look into the flexillis beta. ans this is the 4th or 5th version of this worm to come out since last year, it's not exactly new. if you have any kind of decent antivirus on your pc (and don't already have the worm you'll be ok
  5. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

APRIL FOOLS!!!! Sheesh!
  6. EQBob

EQBob New Member

No offense, but there's a bunch of misinformation in this thread, so let's correct it. Nothing below is meant as a statement against any poster.

First off, the term "virus" seems to nowadays be used to refer to anything "bad" on a device (PC, phone, whatever), although there are several types. The more generic (preferred?) term now used is malware and the specifics of what type (virus, worm, trojan, etc) focus on what actions the malware takes. Note that different sources use different definitions.

Second, there are indeed and have been WM "viruses". The first one targeted WinCE back in 2004. Even within the past year, there have been Windows Mobile "malware", such as the WinCE/InfoJack "application" which sent information from your phone to the site of that application author. It was not widespread in the US, but they do exist. Note that just because virus companies still call it a WinCE virus doesn't mean that it only attacks old versions of the WM platform.

While many many more malware apps have been reported for Symbian devices, the continuing proliferation of WM devices and the continued evolution and capabilities of malware authors may lead to an increased rate of development and infection on WM phones. A blanket statement of cell phones don't get sick is misleading and wrong. Look at the apps that people no do on phones involving credit card transactions, banking, etc. I would bet people will go after this platform--especially because it may be easier and not nearly as high up on the radar screen.

Third, with respect to the specific PC malware application scheduled to hit on April 1. ConfickrC is not a joke, nor an April Fool's hoax. It's real and has been observed--but it's impact appears to have been muted largely due to the efforts engaged in fighting ConfickrA and ConfickrB. The calculation methods vary, but ConfickrB infected millions of PCs and did so repeatedly in many cases. The statement that you'll be ok if you have virus potection, in the case of ConfickrC is probably correct because it uses the same hole to get in as did A and B. That won't however, stop the the next virus (malware) that uses a different type. Virus protection is largely reactive, not predictive. Many products that use prediction or heuristics to "catch" new infections have many disappointed users and high numbers of false positives.

And yes, there have been any number of malware apps released over the years that target April 1 as their kick-off date--mostly controlled by now and certainly well known, but they do exist. For that matter, there are any number of application Easter Eggs which only occur on 4/1. Adobe Photoshop used to change the splash screen on April 1. However, those aren't really malware.

The best defense against malware is awareness and protection.

Protection is best when it's a muti-faceted apporach of a firewall, virus protection and spyware/malware protection. There are several free tools and they are best used on a regular schedule with automatic updating.

Awareness can take many levels, but being an ostrich isn't one of the approaches that's liable to help much.

As always, if you feel I've stated something incorrectly or misinterpreted a statement made by others, please correct the information.
  7. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

agreed on all counts. an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
  8. tygern8r

tygern8r New Member

EQBob, thanks for an articulate and logical post. It made for a refreshing and informative read.

:thumbup:
  9. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Time to switch to Mac....
    WHO SAID THAT?!
  10. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

Well I am offended. Not at you though. Your post was a very well thought out and informative response. My offence is with my own post. I was up way past mybedtime & wired on coffee. Honestly I'm not sure what my train of thought was at that time. Gotta quit drinking so much (coffee) :)
  11. EQBob

EQBob New Member

LOL....we've all BTDT. It all depends on your circadium cycle as well. I'm more awake and alert from 8-11 pm than any other time. 7AM...not a chance <G>
  12. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

well i had been up for over 26 hrs at that point..still feel it alittle today
  13. EQBob

EQBob New Member

yeah...uh you do know the human body and brain aren't built to take that, doncha? <G>
  14. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

thats what they say... Thats why I have taken it easy today, to try and recover some. 3 days is about my max and still be able to function.

/ on topic

Next year or so we may start seeing nasty softwares circulating. I expect it to follow similar to how pc's were affected. Only at a faster pace.
  15. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

I still have a hard time believing this virus was real.
  16. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Well, 2 points. One is that the virus name was never mentioned in the original post. I assumed ConfickrC since it was targeted to go off April 1. Two is that many viruses in the past have been targeted to go off April 1.

If you want to read more about ConfickrC which is real and which is/was targeted for April 1, here are a few links.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/theme.jsp?themeid=conficker_worm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conficker
    http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archi...zed-information-about-the-conficker-worm.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/viruses/worms/conficker.mspx
    http://www.ca.com/us/securityadvisor/virusinfo/virus.aspx?id=77976
  17. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

well thank you sir. :) I have always been leary about these so called "super viruses". Mostly due to the fact that I have gotten numerous emails over the years from my parents who forward stuff like this to me in the hopes that I wont get infected, which is especially ironic because forwards like this sometimes contain viruses. Telling me there is a "Super Virus" is like telling me theres going to be the so called hackers "firesale". Which is entirely improbable.
    -my 2 cents-
  18. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

the firesale can happen, but John McLane can stop it :)
  19. EQBob

EQBob New Member

The less computer experienced are certainly prone to the "OMG, there's a new virus, it'll poison your coffee, piss on your flowers, color your dog pink *and* destory your hard drive, just by virtue of you breathing" routine.

Snopes and patience and gentle explanations are generally the best ways to handle much of that. My parents did the same in the beginning of their computer days, but I now have my Mom educated to the point where she can pretty much tell a real one from a fake one. (alert). My sister on the othere hand still clicked on the link to change her ebay information even tho' she's never been on ebay....sigh. You can only teach them so much....<G>. I also have my Mom educated on TightVNC so whenever she's really concerned, she fires it up, I pop in, and take a look.

The media hypes viruses and gives them monikers like "Super". Virus companies and professionals don't do that. Just because somebody attaches a description to something doesn't make it true...but it also doesn't mean it isn't real and you shouldn't pay attention to it to make sure you are protected.

The worst virus I eve fought was a BSI (Boot Sector Infector) called Monkey. Now that was a true PITA. I lost half the drives in the lab i was running at the time.
  20. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Why beleive anything hackers say? At the basic heart of the matter, they're doing something illegal, despite the protests they usually spew forth of ...for the people, ....against big business, ...free from the tyranny of government, ....fighting for your rights, etc. They're in it to either make money, claim bragging rights, or get something for free. There are few, if any, pure motives in that crowd. I have zero respect for hackers and anything they accomplish. You don't like the business rules, don't pay...doesn't mean you have to be a thief.