Verizon's network extender (femtocell)

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless' started by mcdiver, Feb 25, 2009.

1. mcdiver

mcdiver New Member

Verizon's network extender (femtocell)

I have never had more than one bar when inside the house, but outside the coverage has been mostly good.

So yesterday, I ordered Verizon's network extender to finally give myself cell coverage when inside my house. The device, also known as a femtocell is designed to give you cell phone usage when inside your home. When you are within range, (They say it covers 5000 square feet which is probably a bit optimistic) it routes your calls through your broadband connection and out to Verizon's network. When You leave the range of the device, it is supposed to switch seamlessly to your local cell tower.

The package arrived today. It comes with the device, power supply, gps antenna extension cable and network cable. The gps antenna needs to be near a window for everything to work. Verizon states that the GPS is needed to assist with E-911 calls, and to confirm you are using the device in a licensed area.

Setup took all of 5 minutes and power-up and sync took another 30 minutes.

There are 4 lights on the device, all four lights need to be blue for it to work, Power, SYS, GPS, and WAN.

After powering the device on and plugging into my network PWR and WAN turned blue immediately, GPS took about 10 minutes to turn blue and the SYS light justs kept alternating red-blue. The documentation tells you the SYS light will be red (bad) or blue (good) but did not cover blinking. A call to Tech Support infiormed me that it could take up to 30 more minutes after the GPS light turned blue for the SYS light to follow. just as the tech finished telling me this, I got my blue light and my phone went from one bar to a full 4 bars.

Walking around the house, my coverage decreased as expected the further away from the femtocell I got, and dropped to 2 bars out in my garage on the opposite side of the house, Sound quality is very good.

The device does what it promised. It is not a perfect solution, but it solved my primary problem of little to no phone coverage in the house.

What it does not solve is full data coverage. For this I will need to add a wireless card.

This is not a cheap solution at $250 or possibly less if you beg, but missed calls to me can be even more expensive since I use the phone for business calls and we have multiple phones that will share it.

Time will tell how this solution works out, but so far I'm happy with it.
  2. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

yea...too bad it doesnt support evdo. verizon was going to send me one at half off but i had to inform the guy it wouldnt help my lack of evdo! he says...oh, your right.
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

then what the hell is the point...lol
    give you slightly better 1x signal in your house...i was excited to show this to my parents as apparently there house was built out of submarine parts and cant hold a cell signal unless you hand out the window (if you want to call from your bed room) or walk outside

i have to put the phone in flight mode when i go there otherwise the battery will be dead in a few hrs (luckily i can flip on wifi and use that)
  4. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

ya...its only good to increase voice signal for up to 3 handsets.
  5. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

baaaaaaaaaaaaah:angry:
  6. mcdiver

mcdiver New Member

I don't think they want us setting up our own cell network with them.
    supposedly, ATT is working on one that supports 3G due later this year.
    SPRINT sells the same one as Verizon for less, but charges a monthly fee to use it.
  7. mcdiver

mcdiver New Member

I think that's 3 handsets in a conversation through it at a time. You are supposed to be able to control who uses it or leave it open.
  8. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

yes...that is true!
  9. mcdiver

mcdiver New Member

OK,
    I've had this thing for about 48 hours now and I can say that the first 28 hours it worked great.

BUT.....the last 20 hours it has been an expensive paper weight because Verizon is "experiencing a nationwide outage with the network extender product."

I don't mind spending money on solutions that work and are reliable, but it seems that Verizon may not be capable of supporting this.
    Fortunately I have 30 days to return it for a refund. I may have to take them up on it.:embarassed: