Verizon versus Sprint, AT&T unlimited Data plans

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by MBK2, Nov 24, 2007.

1. GreenTurtle

GreenTurtle New Member

Maybe the Power Vision is included. The plan's name is Sprint Power Pack Plans.
  2. bothersomeaunt

bothersomeaunt Member

yep, that is correct...

BUT....
    what was not explained to me,
    1) text messaging is an additional charge, you can get family texting for $20 a month (watch out they don't charge you $15 per phone - tell them you want the family texting)
    2) picture texting (which you now do on Verizon is WAY different on Sprint!.... and really really different on the Q on Sprint!!) and you have to have the vision plan... $15 a month per phone... although they did give me on my Q the $10 version (after lots and lots of complaining)

so...

$89.99 - basic plan
    $20.00 - family texting
    $15 - vision pac for 2nd phone
    $10 - data plan for Q

NOT a bad deal at all...

also, my personal favorite is that I can buy blocks of minutes if I watch our usage and notice that we are getting close and might go over.
  3. adams020604

adams020604 New Member

I have been with verizon for a long time. And enjoyed the time when we could use our plan minutes in order to use the wireless web browser on our phone. I wish we could go back to the good ole days where we could do that. Oh yeah! Sprint Sucks just like a Baseball team I like to remain unnamed ***cough...redsocks..Coughh...***
  4. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

My understanding is that many Sprint and now Nextel converted to Sprint customers get lots of dropped calls. Is that a fact?, and is that also happening when using PIE?

That is what Verizons' stance is, that their network is superior.
    I am currently trying to negotiate with Verizon on keeping my plan the price it is,, but adding a certain feature I'd like at no extra charge, because of my long relationship with them and to keep me as a customer instead of jumping to Sprint... We'll see what happens, only time will tell. All they can say is no, at which point I have to make a decision, whether to stay with them or go to Sprint.
  5. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

I don't have a problem with dropped calls but at least once a day when trying to access the internet it will tell me the call cannot be completed and I have to do a soft reset to get it going right again. Very annoying! But not annoying enough for the to switch to the overpriced Verizon.

Average bill
    $39.99 for 450 minutes
    $10.00 unlimited data
    $10.00 unlimited text
    $7.00 insurance
    $6.00 taxes

And truthfully Sprint customer services SUCKS!! I haven't found but a few that know anything about the Q even their so-called Advanced Techs. I have learned more about the Q on this forum then from any of the Sprint Techs I have had the displeasure of talking to!!

But again not willing to pay more for the same thing. So I stay and put up with less than stellar customer service.
  6. bothersomeaunt

bothersomeaunt Member

I live in Western Colorado, no EVDO :frown: and was with Verizon before taking the plunge to Sprint. Customer Service (and the wait time to get Customer Service) is beyond frustrating at times (for Sprint), but they have yet to disappoint me when they "finally" fix whatever "my" problem is. As for dropped calls? I almost never get any. I have family with Verizon still, and with ATT/Cingular.... I do have to say that I got better coverage on our recent trip to Southern Utah than either of them.
  7. cliffling

cliffling New Member

I've been with Sprint for about 6 years, and been using my Q on their network for about 6 months now.Do I have dropped calls? Yes. Not the norm, though. I have friends with Verizon and AT&T that also drop calls around town.

Let me tell you what REALLY pisses me off about Verizon aside from the fact that their unlimited data plans are TWICE as much as Sprint: they don't start free time until 9!

I pay an extra 10 bucks per month at Sprint and have all 3 lines starting free minutes at 6 oclock in the evening. And they start free time at 7 normally (AT$T also offers 7 free time).

What interests me about the letter from the rep at Verizon earlier in the posts is that she basically sidesteps the fact that you are paying more and goes on about how great their network is. Verizon has been playing catchup with Sprint as far as high speed network goes.

I think Verizon has no plans to change thier rate plans, and as of right now Sprint offers way better deals. Just so you know, here's what i have:

2100 minutes on 3 phones
    unlimited data on all the phones
    unlimited texting on all the phones
    free minutes start at 6
    free sprint to sprint calls

AFTER tax my bill runs 135.00.

took some talking with them to get me to that low a price, but
    it's there. That's the thing about Sprint is that they are willing to make deals while other companies are not.
  8. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

If you are about to go over your minutes, does Verizon allow you to buy a block of minutes rather than pay astronomical overage charges?

I only had 18 more minutes left to last me until 12/08, Sprint sold me 100 extra minutes for $5.00!! I could have bought as many minutes as I wanted for $5.00/each 100 minutes. If I had gone over my minutes by 100 minutes I would have paid .45/minute ($45.00), yikes!!

Their customer service is not always great but they do know how to try and make the customers happy on some issues. And now I noticed while searching the websites to see if I could purchase the minutes online Sprint is allowing you to make changes to your plan without renewing your contract.
  9. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Well I did get an email back from Verizon saying that they could not make the price concession to me at this time.
    Didn't hurt to ask... :wink:

After thinking this thing thru, I have come to the conclusion that I may be more satisfied staying with Verizon. I can't even remember the last time I got a dropped call with Verizon in my area, while some friends, family, and acquaintances seem to have a lot with Sprint and Nextel. And the fact that those with Nextel had the most in terms of dropped calls and merging with Sprint did not increase the dropped call performance for them, well that tells me something about Sprints network in my area.

I also seem to be getting anywhere from 400 kbps to 700+ with Verizons' EVDO coverage here. That is very important to me.

As for Verizons dealings with me, I have had several instances where they actually did make bill reduction concessions to me. A couple instances when my daughters were on our family share plans, and one daughter went berserk with minutes and the other went berserk with text messaging. Hundreds of dollars in concessions from them... That alone means something to me.

And the fact that I got my Q for only $19 bucks is another plus.
    I also was able to negotiate with them about getting them to offer my daughter an early phone upgrade on her account just based on my long term patronage with Verizon. She's the one who got the Voyager phone from them and at the upgrade price even though she still had another year before she qualified for the 'new every two' plan.

So all those things add up and means something to me. I have voiced my disappointment that my plan is higher than an equivalent plan from Sprint, so I hope they do drop their unlimited data plan.
  10. Whizzer

Whizzer Member

11. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

So you're saying that you get 500 voice plan, unlimited data that usually goes for $15, AND text messaging.... all for $30 bucks??
  12. Whizzer

Whizzer Member

Absolutely. For $30. SPRINT SERO. Snoop on Howard Forums for SERO. Or PM me.
  13. lacrosse00

lacrosse00 New Member

The price your quoting is for the data card service. Sprint is 59.99 for their broadband cards. I will say it is truly unlimited at that price. The speed is 1.5Mb up and 500 to 700kb down. Verizon and AT&T are far slower and much more expensive for a truly unlimited plan. As far as for phones Sprint's internet starts at 15.00(includes picture mail, email, basic tv and music store content, Access to TeleNav for 2.99 a day). Now if you want everything it's 30.00 a month. You'll get unlimited text, unlimited access to Navigation, premium tv and music store content, email and picture mail. Verizon and AT&T are more expensive for all of this content and the speeds of both are still slower.
  14. bobby-n

bobby-n New Member

yeah but i had no lick signing up fdor sero.. cuz im already in my contact
  15. heddle

heddle New Member

I have the Sprint $15 unlimited data plan. This does not include Texting. But I can use my phone as a modem both USB and Bluetooth. Anybody paying extra for the Modem service should drop it now! There are many places in these forums to get you connected. It is not a hack.