Verizon versus Sprint, AT&T unlimited Data plans

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by MBK2, Nov 24, 2007.

1. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Verizon versus Sprint, AT&T unlimited Data plans

I've been inquiring from Verizon regarding why their unlimited data plan with EVDO is $44/ month while some members here are claiming that Sprint or AT&T is only $15 or so...

But they informed me that the others don't offer equivalent data plans for that price.
    I looked online at AT&T and Sprint I could only see an unlimited data plan that costs $59 bucks or so.
    Where can I see this $10 or $15 data plans listed, that allow you to connect to the internet unlimitedly with your Q on EVDO?
  2. K3SRK

K3SRK New Member

Sprint's official price on unlimited data is $59 on top of the regular plan price. See this.

I know someone who weaseled a $20 data plan out of Alltel but I think that was a total mistake on their part.
  3. regression

regression New Member

Are you referring to using the data on the Q, or using the Q as a modem? If you are just wanting to use unlimited data on the Q, I am with Sprint and am paying $10 a month.

I looked on Sprint's website and couldn't find anything but the plan for using the Q as a modem. Sprint's website isn't the best.

I signed into my account and took a screen shot of the section listing my data plan. I guess you will have to trust that I didn't photoshop it ;-)

Attached Files:

4. GldnBear

GldnBear New Member

K3,

You are looking at the price of a data plan for a broadband card. I pay $15 a month for unlimited data with my phone. I see a lot of people have unlimited data for $10 a month. I need to figure out how to get Sprint to drop my data plan to $10.
  5. regression

regression New Member

GldnBear, I wish I could tell you how to get the $10 / month plan. I was paying $15 a month, then in May of this year, it changed on its own to $10 a month. I didn't call or email or anything. I guess you could always give Sprint a call and see what they say when you ask for the $10 a month plan....
  6. cash459

cash459 New Member

i am with sprint also, and also paying $10 a month. I got mine that way, from talking to a rep & explaining that since the "picture mail" aspect doesnt work ccorrectly, that i shouldnt have to pay full price for the data package. after some back and forth and standing my ground, i got them to drop it to $10 a month.

Worth a shot...what do you go to lose? :wink:
  7. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

Yeah, I called Sprint complaining about not getting Sprint TV and the rep dropped my plan from $15 to $10/month. Can't hurt to try. I understand that with the Q9c you have to have the $25/month plan which still cheaper than Verizon!
  8. SpotsPhiLL

SpotsPhiLL New Member

Has anyone ever gotten unlimited data usage from Verizon for under $40? I haven't tried asking/complaining about the high data prices yet, but I was just wondering if someone else has had success in their inquiries/complaints.

I remember one time I called BellSouth complaining that my DSL price was too high and that I was going to switch to Comcast. They saw that I was a loyal customer (4+ years) and they knocked off $15/month from my bill AND bumped me up to a higher speed.

I tend to think Verizon wouldn't do such a thing. Let me know...
  9. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Thanks for the feedback guys... Yeah I have talked with Verizon complaining about the higher unlimited data plan, and that's why I posted this thread. I was inquiring about whether they plan to drop the price to $34.99....

I see that the $59 is for the broadband card access, as well as using the phone as a modem. But I couldn't find anywhere on their website about the details of what Sprint offers for that $10/$15 price.

What is the Sprint $10 unlimited plan exactly? Using PIE or Opera on your Q, unlimited and with EVDO?
  10. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Hey regression, I checked out your Power Vision Access Plan on Sprint... this is what I got...I first chose a voice plan, then a Q, then it took me to this page...
    [​IMG]

Don't see anything about unlimited data for $10/$15????
  11. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

I don't know where to look on the Sprint website to see about the $15/month unlimited data plan. But for $10 I can surf the web using PIE and EVDO (not quite sure what that is but I have it).
  12. trentonmac

trentonmac New Member

I have sprint and for 15 bucks you get unlimited data on your phone. for 39.99 you get unlimited data on your phone and the phone as a modem. the big advantage of sprint is unlimited is unlimited. verizon caps out at 5gb a month. i had the csr from sprint ask her manager to verify that if i use 40gb a month it will not cost a penny more. and it does not. im at 13gb this month so in that way sprint is ALOT cheaper.
  13. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

I actually found some info about the Power Vision Access plan that's $15 and forwarded it via eMail to Verizon. Basically letting them know that I was dissapointed that I pay so much for basically the same thing.

I have PDANet, so I don't need the tethering plan... but the unlimited data plan of web browsing and downloads/uploads for $45 compared to $15, is in of itself making me rethink my association with Verizon.

I did get the Q for $19 bucks though, and I know they'll want it back, plus the $175 early termination fee. But my voice plan alone is $89.99/month for 1400 mins /2 lines, and that coupled with the $45 /month is around $140 / mo that they would lose.... I just may convert over.

I'll keep you guys updated. :wink:
  14. cryptk

cryptk New Member

wow, with a bill like that, you could recoup the losses from the $175 early term fee in just a few months... I would switch, and soon.

I also have a Sprint Q, with the $15 unlimited data plan, the only hitch with it is that you aren't supposed to use your phone as a modem with this plan. It is truly unlimited as in the amount of data though, just no to the phone tethering. (but if you use PDAnet they will never know, lol.)
  15. regression

regression New Member

Hey MBK2, it is out there somewhere, Sprint's website can be hard to navigate sometimes. The screen shot I posted was after I signed on to my account online.
  16. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

I actually found the info about it...
    Here is what the last two exchanges with Verizon has been...

"Here is a quote about the Sprint Power Vision Access plan...
    "Sprint offers up five tiers of Power Vision pricing. For $15/mo, users can get the access plan, which includes unlimited web browsing from your phone, a few basic channels of Sprint TV, and Sirius' Hits channel. For $20/mo and $25/mo, you can grab the Plus and Ultimate packs, which include more channels of Sprint TV, unlimited Sprint Picture Mail (which includes video mail), and a music store allowance, though the Ultimate plan only provides four tracks a month, and the Plus a mere single. The Business Pack, for $25/mo, provides unlimited web access on your phone, the Weather Channel app, plus live news and radio (which, for now, is only ABC News and Sirius Hits). Finally, Sprint offers an inclusive Unlimited Data Plan for Phone as Modem, which gives you only a basic set of Power Vision TV options, but allows you to connect your phone to your laptop for tethered modem support on Sprint's EV-DO network."

As you can see, for unlimited web browsing, it is only $15 dollars... a full $30 less than what I am paying with Verizon.
    As I have stated, I have been completely satisfied with Verizon for the most part. But this basically bugs me, why I am paying sooo much more for the same services??

My hope is that Verizon considers making their price more competitive."

" Thank you for providing the pricing information for the Sprint Power Vision Access plan. My name is Veronica, and as mentioned within our prior response, unfortunately, we are unable to comment on the products and services offered by other providers. However, please make certain that you are reading any 'fine print' associated with this plan.

Michael, our Worry Free Guarantee shows our commitment to Customers and stands behind our products and services. Our test men and women conduct more than 3 million voice and 16 million data tests annually, across almost 1,000,000 miles of roadway nationwide, to continue to provide America's Most Reliable Network, and based on your loyalty over the years, and your previous comments you have been pleased with your service thus far.

We are however always looking for ways to enhance customer experience to better meet the needs of our customers, and your feedback provides us with the perfect opportunity to hear exactly what you think, and often leads to improvements you will see in the future. Thank you for taking your valuable time to contact us with your comments.

Michael, we value your past business and we would appreciate the opportunity to continue as your wireless service provider. Thank you for using Verizon Wireless products and services. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely,

Veronica
    Verizon Wireless
    Customer Service "

I plan to email back Verizon to state that I want to stay with them, but they need to make it worth my stay...
  17. MattB

MattB New Member

I dont understand your bill. Verizon's unlimited data and 1350 voice minutes is $109. Their 1350 minute voice plan alone is $79.99, making the data an additional $30 not $45.
  18. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Actually, that's a good question. But I think it has to do with the family share plan I'm on.
    I am going to call right now... because if I could simply add an additional line to the $109 plan you're speaking of, it still is only $119 compared to $89 + $45 = $135
  19. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

I just got off the phone with them and a couple things...

First is that the voice and data plan is only for single lines, and if I did a similar amount of minutes with an additional voiceplan phone as well, it would be $99.99 for 900 minutes and unlimited data and $39.99 for 450 minutes on the second voice plan. So $140 for an equivalent amount of minutes for both phones and unlimited data for my Q.

However, I'm still wondering why my data plan is higher, and that I have an ongoing contact via email.

So what Sprint offers is that I could get a similar family share for two lines @1400 minutes, unlimited data for my Q, free long disatance nationwide as well as free nationwide roaming. ....All this for $89.99 + $15 ???
    Is that correct??

I'm asking because I may calculate the overall differences for the next two years should I decide to convert over to Sprint.
  20. Whizzer

Whizzer Member

SERO Maybe?

To the OP.

I have 5 separate lines with Sprint SERO. Each has 500 minutes, unlimited data, unlimited text, 7 to 7 nights, unlimited mobile to mobile, with no tricks or hidden fees. Unlimited means umlimited, within the T's & C's. After taxes (Kansas) and $7 insurance per line the bill is a smidge under $220 each month, or $43 a line. That's $30 for service, $7 for insurance, and about ~$6 in taxes. The minutes do NOT pool on SERO, and Phone As Modem (PAM) is not included.

There have been no surprizes since signing in July. Customer service is not too whippy, but *might* be improving some. After initial setup and the "new carrier learning curve", Customer Service is not often needed. I dumped 6 lines with Alltel and 10 1/2 years continuous years of service for Sprint. I am QUITE happy so far. Coverage in Rural Kansas is pretty good.

3 Dead Q's have been happily and quickly replaced with refurbs from the store. 4th time's a charm, so far.

Stan