Verizon Q9c GPS Hack

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by jmorisey, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

I have a Verizon Q9c and have GPS working with Google Maps and WLS... ohh, did I mention thats because I am using a Bluetooth GPS...

OK, the real point of this post is to Thank everyone for there hard work and extend the offer to "break" my phone in any testing needed to get this damn thing working.

Jon

(p.s. I know that was mean, sorry)
  2. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

you don't know how close I was to saying f it. I find it kind of a fun challenge though.

lbsdriver seems to have 5 variables for GPSOpen whereas the gpsapi.dll wants 4.

...at the bar...
  3. weinster666

weinster666 New Member

I am very impressed by your work so far. Hopefully, you end up with an answer before I return the phone to Verizon, quit my contract, and switch to Sprint.
  4. n55rc

n55rc New Member

5 variables

It might prove difficult to replace gpsapi with lbsdriver since the function call is different. Might be able to build a intermediate dll to pad the missing var to the function call. FWTW

5. weinster666

weinster666 New Member

I'm hoping you guys are having fun with this, because for me I just keep getting more pissed off at Verizon and Motorola. I buy a piece of hardware (Motorola phone) and Verizon and Motorola conspire behind the scenes to hobble the phone so they can try and extract more money from me. Sounds like conspiracy, fraud, class-action lawsuit grounds to me.

Especially since Verizon doesn't even offer the service I need (direct input of GPS coordinates destinations for hiking and other off-road usage).
  6. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

I'm close. I need the driver, maybe even just the regisrty settings for the gps portion of the radio from a sprint phone to make it a clean fix.

In short what they have done is chose not to load the driver up for COM access to the gps. They have made their own GPSID workaround with the LBSDriver.dll. They are making the exact same calls that you would with gpsapi.dll to their own lbsdriver.dll that talks to motgpsapi.dll which talks to the radio.

VZNav -> GPSOpen -> LBSDriver -> oGPSopen -> motgpsapi.dll -> GPS!

I have confirmed with a tool that the GPS is indeed enabled for all access (GPS and aGPS).

Until I get what I want from a Sprint phone I am going to try using LBSDriver with Gmaps.

Being Fathers Day and all I had 0 time this weekend to look at it.
  7. weinster666

weinster666 New Member

Care to share that tool you used to verify the state of the GPS on the phone?
  8. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

9. MooseMan

MooseMan New Member

Let's go Bixcuit, let's go! {claps twice}
    Let's go Bixcuit, let's go! {claps twice}

I understand very little of what you are saying, but I appreciate all of your effort and I will help in any way I can.
  10. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

Will getting you to the bootloader menu still help you at all, or are you past that point? I think I can find a way to do this manually!

1.) Power off the phone
    2.) Hold down the "A" key and the "RETURN(enter)" key
    3.) While holding the the keys down, press and release the power button

VIOLA, bootloader screen

Jon
  11. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

You are the man. This should help.
  12. MooseMan

MooseMan New Member

What can you do from this screen?
  13. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

Well, for starters, you can really F'up your phone... that's about all I know... lol
  14. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

you can manually send AT commands to the radio and also reflash your phone if you need to. If you ever see the bootloader when turning your phone one then your phone is not truly bricked, it just can't boot the OS. Kind like the BIOS of your PC, but with more functions.
  15. L0c0

L0c0 New Member

Well I'll also send a thx to all who are working this!

cn: **I thought**GPS is working using windows live search using com9 on VZW

story:blah blah blah
  16. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

whoa!
    this is great....nice work keep us posted!
  17. laez

laez New Member

How did you change the GPS port to com9? Did you use a program to do it or reg edit?
  18. L0c0

L0c0 New Member

WLS>settings>[gps com9]

aaand I cannot get it to do it again. I know everyone was like yeah right.well. It doesn't help that I have really bad reception at home (1bar maybe2) very slow evo too.

I'm messing with it again and I actually looked my home city/state and was looking at the areal maps. I then selected [Menu]>[Center on GPS] and that's when it went right to my location. It said "getting position" and it got real close to where I was and stopped searching, like 2blocks away when I zoomed. Maybe it picked up the closest cell tower I was using?

\editing other post so not to raise any hope of the magical fix...sry =[

**edit. it still says getting position though. even in GM it says "470kb seeking gps satiellites(0)" it does not give me an error about the gps not working.

I also have vznav installed, gps doesn't work of course. but it is installed.
  19. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

Its so quiet in here, I think we need to wake some of you up!!!

If, "IF" I could figure a way to rename a file in ROM, which one would I want to rename and what would I want to rename it to?

i.e. rename gpsapi.dll --> LBSDriver.dll -- this way when it "thinks" it is calling the LBSDriver, it is actually calling the unmodified gpsapi.dll

I am not a programer, but I am just trying to see what it is that needs to be done. I have ways of figuring out the darnest things sometimes... mostly out of luck.

Jon
  20. Anthony.Selby

Anthony.Selby New Member

Any News ???

Hey,

I have a verizon q9c ... and I got the SDK ... started to look in to making everything work ... but I don't have any LBS or GPS dlls on my phone, I just got the think yesterday in the mail ... is there any news on this ... and can someone send me some files (anything would be a start but the files from a sprint phone would be great)

Thanks
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.