Verizon Q9c GPS Hack

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by jmorisey, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L0c0

L0c0 New Member

could anyone who purchased vznavagator tell me if you sign up for an account when you buy it? like do you get a username and password or at any point do you enter your verizon account information?thx
  2. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

you can download the software for free through the verizon home page. you'll have to add the vznavigator service to you account either online like I did or call them. vznav does a check when you access the gps functions to see if you have it. mine was available instantly after I added it.
  3. L0c0

L0c0 New Member

thank you.

in that case from what i've gathered from this thread and various other tid bits of information, it would seem in order to access vz's gps server (what the sat's talk to to triangulate your position) you need access (valid account) to that server. sprint on the other hand has allowed all there gps enabled phone users access to their gps server.

if for some reason there were public access gps servers that could work directly with the gps on the phone. that would work. we (vzw users) would probably still need the sprint drivers for the gps on the Q.

what do you guys think?
  4. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

GPS is not provided by a server. There is a radio in chipset in the phone that can read GPS signals broadcasted by the GPS satellites in the sky. Verizon has simply modified the Windows Mobile drivers to not provide access to the radio directly OR they modified the Windows Mobile installation itself to disable access through the GPS Intermediate Driver and are using a proprietary driver distributed with VZNav. I haven't been able to get a hold of the Windows Mobile Development Kit through our current license at work to see what the options are. We only have access to XP Embedded.

Getting the Sprint registry and files is important since the GPS hardware is the same. We may be able to simply replace the provided driver, add ones that are missing or modify the registry in places that are also missing. Based on what Microsoft provides about the GPS Intermediate Driver it looks like we are missing the appropriate radio driver.

The GPSID plays interference between the user applications and the real driver and hardware. GPSID provides "Virtual" COM ports to applications for the "Real" COM port of the GPS reciever. This allows multiple applications to use the GPS radio simultaneously and gives them a common API to do so.
  5. L0c0

L0c0 New Member

I don't know, it's just what I read and it made sense to me.

gps vs. aGPS

limiting access to vzw's aGPS server would be the simplest solution since all the hardware and even wm6 is the same. They could also make some $$ to "provide" access to their servers. Like I said...it makes sense to me.
  6. L0c0

L0c0 New Member

If you can get vznav for free wouldn't you get the proprietary driver with it? But it still doesn't work until vz turns it on (enable an account setting)

I'm not trying to argue, I would love to get this thing to work as much as anyone. So I'm trying to help.
  7. n55rc

n55rc New Member

Before and After VZ Nav Registry

looking at the Reg files again I notice the
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk] [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\LBSDriver]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Program Files]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Program Files\VZ Navigator]

Sections have been added. The [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\LBSDriver] section has a large block of hex...... ????
  8. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

I noticed that too.

I found a ROM image of the GSM version. Unfortunately I havent found any differences yet. Its kind of hard to sort it all out.
  9. weinster666

weinster666 New Member

It is possible that the GPS chip in the phone can be flashed to only allow GPS functionality if aGPS through the phone provider (such as VZ Navigator) is active. Motorola would not tell me the make and model of GPS chip in the phone. They only told me that the GPS hardware within the Sprint and Verizon phoes was identical.

Qualcomm's gpsOne chips I believe are the most popular GPS chips within cell phones today. From QualComm's web site:

Integrated single-chip solution.
    Our fully integrated solution means wireless device manufacturers can offer gpsOne-enabled handsets while minimizing development costs and time-to-market. Space and power demands are also reduced, enabling smaller form-factor devices with enhanced battery life.

Complete coverage
    By using wireless networks and GPS satellites, gpsOne brings positioning capabilities to areas where cellular networks are not accessible. It works in all types of terrains and provides fast, turn-by-turn map positioning with a high level of precision, even in areas as difficult as shopping malls, parking garages, and dense metropolitan areas.

New opportunities for revenue
    gpsOne presents both product and service differentiating opportunities. Our technology enables a new class of mobile position-location applications and services, such as E911, navigation capabilities, zone-based billing, local weather and traffic information, asset tracking, mobile commerce and more revenue-generating solutions that create distinct opportunities for market expansion.

Flexibilitiy and standards compatibility
    QCT's gpsOne solution fully supports four modes of operation, including three A-GPS modes, standalone GPS and gpsOneXTRA Assistanceā„¢ technology, providing enhanced operation for Standalone-GPS, to ensure maximum performance and optimal support of various applications. Our ubiquitous position-location technology can be deployed on CDMA, GSM, GPRS and WCDMA (UMTS) networks.

This seems to imply a single chip that can be set to function in different modes, depending on the desires of the manufacturer. That might further imply that Motorola flashes the chip one way for the Sprint phones and another way for the verion phones. In that case, the only way to make it work would be to have access into the flash utility for the GPS receiver chip. :-(
  10. n55rc

n55rc New Member

GPS Detected

I was able to enter the sprint reg edits to allow com3 to be detected by GMaps. It seems the output from the gps back to gpsid.dll is being blocked. Still working on it. Anyone have luck getting the dll files from a Sprint phone?
  11. weinster666

weinster666 New Member

Which registry settings exactly did you add and how were you able to verify that com3 is working as stated? Did you use the com3 activator from modaco also?

I just want to make sure my phone as at the same state as yours.

Thanks,

W666
  12. n55rc

n55rc New Member

Com Settings changed

[HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer\]
    String name="DriverInterface"
    String value="COM3:"

[HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer\ActiveDevice\]
    String name="DriverInterface"
    String value="COM3:"
    DWord name="Index"
    DWord value="3"
    String name="Prefix"
    String value="COM"

[HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\GenericGPSDriver\]
    String name="CommPort"
    String value="GDD0:"
  13. MarkG121087

MarkG121087 New Member

Thanks for the post, Im trying out these registry hacks now. I have a Verizon Q9c and I can find DriverInterface in the 2nd chunk of hacks. I just created a new file and I'm gonna see how that works.
  14. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

I have the gpsid.dll from a Sprint rom and is the same. This rom that I have people have been using to load on to their HTC's and using GPS.

I started going down several different paths in this problem. The Q9c does have the gpsOne (amazingly so does the regular Q). Getting in to this would require getting to the bootloader. All I can seem to find with that is people who have accidentally found themselves in it.

I ran a registry watch on the vz nav program and I saw that is accesses motgpsapi.dll. I haven't found this in the other roms.

Still digging....
  15. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

Exports of motgpsapi.dll...

Section contains the following exports for MOTGPSAPI.dll

00000000 characteristics
    7DDDF593 time date stamp Sun Nov 30 17:52:03 2036
    0.00 version
    1 ordinal base
    22 number of functions
    22 number of names

ordinal hint RVA name

1 0 00005D68 oGPSCloseDevice
    2 1 00006560 oGPSEnableSecurity
    3 2 00006A8C oGPSGetBaseSSD
    4 3 000061AC oGPSGetDeviceParam
    5 4 000062CC oGPSGetDeviceState
    6 5 000071E4 oGPSGetEnhancedTBFAlgorithm
    7 6 00006FF4 oGPSGetFixDelay
    8 7 00006BF0 oGPSGetIMSI
    9 8 00006D20 oGPSGetLBSPrivacySetting
    10 9 00005F2C oGPSGetPosition
    11 A 00005AA8 oGPSOpenDevice
    12 B 0000666C oGPSReadSecurityConfig
    13 C 00006E24 oGPSResetAssist
    14 D 0000607C oGPSSetDeviceParam
    15 E 000070FC oGPSSetEnhancedTBFAlgorithm
    16 F 00006F0C oGPSSetFixDelay
    17 10 00006870 oGPSSetRandPeriod
    18 11 000078A4 oGPSSetSMSPrefixAppInfo
    19 12 00006954 oGPSSetShortCodes
    20 13 00006770 oGPSWriteSecurityConfig
    21 14 0000645C oGPSWriteServerConfig
    22 15 000076FC oMOTLBSTestCode
  16. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

motgpsapi.dll is certainly the driver that vznav uses. In the DLL I found "oGPSSetSMSPrefixAppInfo Cannot create file \Windows\MT_SMS_Prefix.txt".

So I started VZNav and looked for this file. Magic.. There it is.
    "//VZW-NAV00001 \Program Files\VZ Navigator\VZ Navigator.exe"

So VZNav definately has its own driver to use. Now back to figuring out how to use the GPSID API with the chipset :)
  17. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

LBSDriver.dll has the exports:

ordinal hint RVA name

1 0 00003790 GPSCloseDevice
    2 1 000035E8 GPSGetDeviceParam
    3 2 0000367C GPSGetDeviceState
    4 3 00003700 GPSGetPosition
    5 4 000034B4 GPSOpenDevice
    6 5 00003554 GPSSetDeviceParam

and also contains references to the exports from motgpsapi.dll like oGPSSetSMSPrefixAppInfo.
  18. bugme~

bugme~ New Member

perhaps create a dll that replaces and uses a (renamed) VZNav's motogpsapi.dll?
  19. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

My thought is that the lbsdriver.dll replaces the gpsapi.dll since it has the same exports. Its much larger and accesses some cryptographic api's.

So my thoughts are either:
    1. Make LBSDriver.dll get used for the GPSID API calls instead of gpsapi.dll and maybe that will make the calls to motgpsapi.dll which will access the hardware.

OR

2. Find the correct replacement for motgpsapi.dll so that there is access to the radio from a COM port with gpsapi.dll instead of API calls.
  20. bugme~

bugme~ New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.