Verizon Q9c GPS Hack

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by jmorisey, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjallard

tjallard New Member

Ok, so I'm a total n00b and I've been watching this thread for a long time, hoping and praying that someone would figure this out. I have Verizon and hate that no one can get around this. I wish I had the tech know how to contribute and help but unfortunately I don't.

I did have an idea though...what if a gps chip was pulled out of an old Q that actually did have gps, and popped into the Verizon Q. I have no idea about how to do this or if its even possible, just wanted to throw it out there so that someone much smarter than I am, might be able to do something along those lines.

just a though.

2. dkim36

dkim36 New Member

Well, I kind of gave this up, hoping that someone will unlock the gps. So, I have a garmin 10 bluetooth gps. I was able to get google map to work on my phone. It works great. The only downside is that I need a data plan. It needs a data plan to download maps. Anyways, I've been looking around for instructions and apparently no one gave specific instruction on how to get it to work. Here's the instruction.

1. Make sure you set your network gps to location on, not 911 only.
    start/settings/Phone Settings/Network/GPS: Location On

2. I have a garmine bluetooth and pair up the bluetooth gps into your phone.

3. Install google map: which ever you prefer to install it in. I would install it into my 16gb minisd card.

4. After installation is finished, turn on your bluetooth and start your google map.

5. On google map, go to menu/options/GPS settings and set it to manually. I know it's on com1: and 4800. Then press ok.

6. Then go to menu/use gps. Then it would ask you where to link the bluetooth and you should click to your bluetooth gps. Then it should be all set.

So, it works pretty good. I dont need to use this stupid vznav and pay monthly. It's free. It's the data plan you have to pay for. So, I just use my garmin map and they work great too. Either way you prefer to us.
  3. corwin

corwin New Member

<sigh> Workaround

I have done this too. I bought a used BT GPS reciever and installed WLS (Windows Live Search) it hooked right up to my GPS (on COM1) and it does give me turn by turn and as long as I have a network connection pretty maps (aeral or political maps)...so, I guess this is the way it will work. Maybe VZW will loose a customer (in a year) if AT&T could get some kind of signal here in my town. I have already tried $print and they are not getting any more money from me.

Thanks all!!!
  4. Brent372

Brent372 New Member

From engadget mobile....

Verizon relents, promises to open GPS on some WinMo phones next year

by Chris Ziegler, posted Dec 16th 2008 at 5:50PM
    [​IMG]Okay, so maybe the unlocking of the GPS on Verizon BlackBerrys wasn't an accident after all -- and maybe hell has frozen completely over. WMExperts is reporting an official statement released by the carrier claiming that GPS has remained locked down on many of its models simply because it hasn't met Verizon's "performance goals," which granted, sounds like a crock -- but to Verizon's credit, they're the ones getting the phone calls when things aren't working smoothly, not the phone's manufacturer. Still, when you consider that VZ Navigator runs a pricey $9.99 a month for WinMo devices, the financial motivation was certainly there to keep it locked down, so maybe customer dissatisfaction with the policy has reached a boiling point or Verizon is simply realizing that they're not milking enough money to bother. Specifically, the Touch Pro, Saga, and Omnia have all been mentioned as getting fully unlocked, standalone GPS via firmware updates in the first half of next year.
  5. craiggiarc

craiggiarc Active Member

Nice find and great news. I would imagine that even if they don't release a GPS firmware update for the Q9c's it should be easier to hack!

Craig
  6. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

That would be enough to keep me on Verizon and not jump our 10 vzw lines to our business Sprint account. Despite that Sprint's Data plan is $25 vs $30 on vzw. The Touch Pro is a nice phone. I know it has half the memory of the Sprint version but I'm sure it can be optimized to work. The VGA screen is super crisp on the touch though side by side the Q screen "looks" like the same physical size despite the different quoted spec. Despite the wider keyboard the phone seems more awkward to hold than the Q. I'd have to hold one for a while. The touch screen is awesome for surfing the web.
  7. BoylerQ

BoylerQ New Member

Stand alone GPS?

POST #1.. (yup... a noob)
    Just got a MotoQ. It has WM5 for an OS from Verizon. My friend did the iphone thing and is selling it cheap. So, here is my question. Has anyone completely wiped off all the Verizon added programming and reloaded the WM5? In doing so, is it possible that drivers could be found to activate all the hardware (including the GPS) and make it a stand alone gpsr? Alright, I know, but let me explain. I don't need another GPS navigation, and I don't want to pay for the data plan, but I figure I could have a fully customizable portable GPSr to use in my hobby (geocaching).
    A nice garmin (non-nav style) GPSr goes about $400+. With so many of these smart phones out, the residual value is quite low.

Any thoughts on this.... I don't have any documentation on the phone, but it does have GPS 911 ./ location on option, so i figure it has the basics.

Thanks for any responses.
    BoylerQ
  8. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

the Q1 doesnt even have gps in it to lock down or to even attempt to unlock

this is for the Q9's

-Sent from my Q9c
  9. vwmofo

vwmofo New Member

10. bheidemann

bheidemann New Member

11. vwmofo

vwmofo New Member

Nada. :( I set everything up and tried GoogleMaps. My phone locks up while Initializing the GPS.

So, obviously something is doing something causing it to crap out... I'm gonna try the com3 file and see what that does.

*edit. The com3 file doesn't work either. Seems after some more reading that it doesn't work with WM6.1. Anyone still on 6.0 want to try it?
  12. abreeden

abreeden New Member

i had no luck with these also. running 6.1. man! i was so excited that we might of had this licked. maybe there is a 6.1 cab from the same deveoper?
  13. vwmofo

vwmofo New Member

I read something on the modaco site about needing to use something that enables the GPS first with WM6.1. I'm not really all that keen on forking over any more money to VZW to test that though.
  14. Tyler Lillie

Tyler Lillie New Member

My guess is that the fix that you came across works for Q9cs that are not linked to Verizon (e.g., Sprint). Good try, though!
  15. vwmofo

vwmofo New Member

Well the fact that the programs lock up when trying to access the GPS tells me something in this patch is doing something. Maybe because Verizons GPS data is encrypted?

Who knows. But I do know that the Sprint Q9c's GPS is fully functional out of the box, so this patch doesn't apply to sprint.
  16. bheidemann

bheidemann New Member

I know this patch doesnt work but just courious... I installed it but I cant find a link for it on my phone. how do you activate it?
  17. abreeden

abreeden New Member

live search seemed to try harder than google maps to connect (at least on my device). tried all ports and nothing. lets just hope they open the floodgates after the new year as a previous post spoke of
  18. Tyler Lillie

Tyler Lillie New Member

The first part of my theory (see earlier postings) is that the chip in the Verizon Q9c cannot communicate directly with satellites because it is not NMEA-compatible. What I don't know is whether that can be cured through a flash update of the chip or whether it requires chip replacement.

The second part of my theory is that Verizon VZNavigator works through assisted GPS that communicates with satellites through a server controlled by Verizon.

If I am right, there is no software fix - but I encourage all to keep trying and prove me wrong!
  19. bheidemann

bheidemann New Member

Has anyone tried different com/baud combinations with this patch? Maybe it changed in 6.1?
  20. abreeden

abreeden New Member

live search seemed to try harder than google maps to connect (at least on my device). tried all ports and nothing. lets just hope they open the floodgates after the new year as a previous post spoke of
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.