Verizon Q9c GPS Hack

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by jmorisey, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkG121087

MarkG121087 New Member

I have tried the Modaco Com 3 and Com 4 hacks on my Verizon Q9c. The Com 3 hack worked a lil better, it was able to talk to the GPS chip in the phone, however, GPS Utilities was unable to receive any data back. If someone can find a way to allow outgoing data from the GPS chip we should have it working.
  2. igotaq

igotaq New Member

can you post the link to com3 and com4 hacks.
    thanks
  3. MarkG121087

MarkG121087 New Member

Here is a zip file of both the Com 3 and Com 4 Modaco Hacks. I havent gotten either of these to work with GPS Utilities or GPSvP.

Attached Files:

4. bobby-n

bobby-n New Member

if you guys need your spc code ( not sure if you do) then google GetSpc
  5. MisterTedster

MisterTedster New Member

hmmmm I wonder if we could get verizon Q9c gps to work by importing a sprint Q9c registry?

~from my Q
  6. MarkG121087

MarkG121087 New Member

That is a good idea, if anyone with a Sprint Q9c can copy there registry I would be willing to try it. The only problem I can see with this is Verizon may be completely blocking the GPS chip, which the registry wouldnt fix.
  7. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

I received my q9c this morning looking forward to using the google maps and/or WLS. To this point I've tried all the hacks for the Sprint q9c without any luck so I broke down and paid for vznavigator and magically it works. I'm going to do whatever I can to figure out what they are doing.

I'll test in a while to see if using the vznavigator enables me to use the Google Maps and WLS. I'm wondering if simply installing the vznavigator allows you to use it.
  8. MisterTedster

MisterTedster New Member

Do you mind uploading your registry to see if we can use it on other vzw Q9c's?
  9. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

Sure. I'll do that this evening. I tried GMap's with vznav running and it wouldn't connect. I did get a different message though. Instead of the "Seeking GPS satellites (0)..." I see "17kb Seeking GPS Satellites (0)..." like it is able to talk, but not download data.

Not sure it is registry at this point. I think they might be doing some magic in the app itself to unlock the radio. Still I'll get the registry for you guys.
  10. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

11. bluesneaky

bluesneaky New Member

We may be getting there - Verizon GPS

I am going to look at the reg file copies but as I do here is where I am getting my clues of where to look in the reg.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb202016.aspx

It Looks like a great source of info on the reg and GPS in and out parameters. Im a novice reg hacker so if someone else can take this and run with it the reusult will be a lot faster than my efforts.

Also could someone post some of the reg values from thier sprint 9c for the values listed on the above link? I think that will be a BIG plus towards getting us to a operating Verizon 9c GPS.

Thanks all!
  12. bluesneaky

bluesneaky New Member

Verizon GPS on Q9c

I also noticed the registry refrence to the gpsid dll in the windows directory which looks to point to two other files in the windows dir. Likely gpsapi and gpsclientdvr

looks like we need real motorola gps dll's as in the sprint version since we know it works. Anybody able to post those to look over and try?
  13. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

Motorola Dev Site

I found this in the QA section of the Motorola Developers Site.

https://support.developer.motorola....T0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9Z3Bz&p_li=&p_topview=1

Where should I look for support on questions related to Global Positioning System or Location Based Service on MOTO Q 9c (Verizon)?

INTRODUCTION:
    Location Based Services (LBS) are information services accessible with mobile devices through the mobile network and utilizing the ability to make use of the location of the mobile device. Global Positioning System (GPS) is a part of Location Based Services. GPS is a "constellation" of 24 well-spaced satellites that orbit the Earth and make it possible for people with ground receivers to pinpoint their geographic location. GPS support on the Q 9c (Verizon) is called VZ Navigator. This article tells the point of contact at Verizon for issues regarding LBS or GPS on MOTO Q 9c(Verizon).

RESOLUTION:
    The LBS functionality on MOTO Q 9c (Verizon) is not accessible through Microsoft LBS APIs. It is only accessible through the software VZ Navigator from Verizon. VZ Navigator is a GPS navigation software by Verizon wireless. All questions regarding Global Positioning System or Location Based Services on MOTO Q 9c (Verizon) should be directed to Anik.Jain@VerizonWireless.com

CONCLUSION:
    GPS or LBS issues on MOTO Q 9c (Verizon) -- Questions should be directed to Verizon at the above email address.

So at this point I think the solution is to try the driver from sprint with hopes that is does allow the use through the GPS Intermediate Driver API.
  14. donkeycrock

donkeycrock New Member

above "So at this point I think the solution is to try the driver from sprint with hopes that is does allow the use through the GPS Intermediate Driver API."

I have both phones infront of me, the sprint 9Qc and the verizon 9Qc, the sprint GPS does work, the verizon does not.

if you tell me what file (spicifically) i need to copy over, i will. And i will post my findings and upload the file if needs be.

thanks
  15. weinster666

weinster666 New Member

Great Work, guys!!! Keep me appraised of the situation
  16. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

We could start with:
    gpsclientdrvr.dll
    gpsapi.dll
    gpsid.dll
    LBSDriver.dll and associated LBSDriver.dll.* files.

These are all located in the Windows folder. I wasn't able to copy them out, but if you use resco explorer (unhide system files) you can send them to zip and copy that zip out of the folder.

If you could also export the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USERS keys from the registry with resco reg edit that would be a great start.
  17. level2

level2 New Member

This Sprint Q9c, is it windows mobile 6.1 like the Microsoft claims it to be?
  18. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

if you upgrade it it will be
  19. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

Come on! I've been all excited to see these files sitting here waiting. If you need to dump them somewhere, let me know. I know theres a fairly small limit on zip file posts.
  20. n55rc

n55rc New Member

Reviewed posted reg files

I reviewed the posted reg files of before and after VZ nav install. It doesn't look like it will be as simple as a registry edit to get Gmaps to work. I think thebixcuit is correct in that a file replacement perhaps with sprint version files might be useful. We need a Sprint phone to eval files.....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.