Verizon Q 9m Rumored Release Date

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by chris, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Eugene

Eugene New Member

Motorola should do the same with the Q as well. Have a normal Q likeit is now and a Q pro which has the windows pro os and a touchscreen.
  2. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Research

You should also go back and do some research -- on the original Q.

Yes, it is so hard some of time. Using the jog wheel means you don't have to take the Q out of a belt case (which is not easy if you're driving).

The reason that's important is because I've found that voice dialing on the Q almost always asks me to confirm what I've said, but almost never recognizes "Yes". However, pressing the jog wheel in also confirms the command. Without the jog wheel, I'd have to remove the Q from my belt case and press the OK button on the d-pad.

No, versus 64 MB RAM and 128 MB ROM. There's no way you'd have 52+ MB device memory left with only 64 MB ROM. Windows Mobile requires a bit more than 12 MB space. :wink:

Steve
  3. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Verizon Q9M

As alluded to previously, the Q9h is a GSM phone and Verizon is a CDMA carrier. Motorola would need to make a "Q9e" (for EV-DO) or something, but they don't.

So, um, don't use VCast. Nobody is forcing you to. The Q9M should connect to the Internet at the same speeds as your current Q. If that's not fast enough, why did you buy it?

Again, no GSM phone will work on Verizon (including the Q9h). (Well, that's not quite true -- there are some phones with both GSM and CDMA radios, like the Samsung i830 and BlackBerry 8830, that will work on Verizon, but they still need the CDMA radio.)

Steve
  4. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Pocket PC Q

Agreed. A Pocket PC Phone Q (or WM 6 Professional Q) would be great. In fact, that's one thing I wished for in my Q review. :wink:

That's one reason I'm seriously considering the Samsung i760 pictured. (And it's not ugly! :angry:) Plus, Samsung has a good history of releasing OS upgrades for their phones, so when WM 7 (Photon) becomes available, you might have a chance at an upgrade.

Steve
  5. g-funkster

g-funkster New Member

Nice try. You provided no reasons as to why the new one is so different from the original.

My opinion on the scroll wheel is irrelevant, I was merely highlighting the similarities between the two devices. But anyway your random reason for wanting it isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for its necessity.
  6. clxa38

clxa38 New Member

quoted from another forum. q9m is expected next week. if it's Rev A and specs are PROVEN to be quite on par with the q9h or xv5800 then i'll jump on the opportunity. actually, if it's Rev A, then i'll jump on the opportunity. you people argue that the q9m is a rewrapped Q. Even though I agree with yall, it's still speculations. We'll find out next week. And even if it's still the same Q, it is still indeed better than the dash (wm6) and blackjack (wm6). the current Q has a faster processor and everything else is the same. so the Q is still today's standard for smartphones. Like i stated before in this forum, the Q9h has a slightly faster processor (which is fine with me, speed won't be an issue if it's only slightly faster), and it has a little bit more ram. the ram is a killer but i'll settle with the q9m. As for rom, you can always add more memory via minisd. but everything else is basically the same so why bother arguing how the q9m is outdated or not worth upgrading? i happen to LIKE the scroll wheel. i find it very usable and the style of the q9m is unique and interesting. I rather have the q9m on verizon than the q9 on AT&T ANYDAY.
  7. clxa38

clxa38 New Member

in your q review, you said the Q has gps. Is this really gps or is it the 911 gps thing that comes with almost every verizon phone?
  8. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Q Gps

I probably pulled those specs from a press release or Motorola's/Verizon's Web site. Yes, it's aGPS (assisted GPS) for 911 like every other phone (which is probably why I didn't make it a separate bullet).

Sorry if it was confusing.

Steve
  9. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Bad Tone

Of course I didn't, because I agree with your basic point. It's just that your facts about the original Q were wrong (specifically about the ROM) and your tone was pretty condescending, so I returned the favor. :laugh2:

I know why you mentioned the scroll wheel. It was the condescending editorial comment (like anybody using the scroll wheel was lazy or an idiot) that I took issue with. (See a pattern here?)

I don't know why you seem to think volume buttons are better than the scroll wheel, though, when the wheel can basically do the same thing as the buttons -- and more.

I think you also left out two things that make the Q9M similar to the Q but different from the Q9h:
    • MiniSD slot (instead of a MicroSD slot like the Q9h)
    • Mini USB connector (instead of Micro USB like the Q9h)
    Is it a coincidence that those are really good things about the Q9M (existing Q owners won't need a new memory card or new connection/charging cables)?

Personally, I'd like a Q9M with EV-DO Rev. A, the case and keyboard of the Q9h (except keep the scroll wheel -- or make Voice Recognition better -- and use the Q9M's d-pad with the bigger Send/End buttons), more memory and a better camera (like the Q9h), but the MiniSD and MiniUSB connector of the Q9M.

Too bad we can't pick and choose our features like that. :laugh2:

Steve
  10. clxa38

clxa38 New Member

Do you really think the Q9m will be Rev A upgradeable? Most people think it won't be, but I'm hoping it will be. That is the deciding factor for me. I'm debating whether to get the xv5800 or the Q9m. I'm not a big fan of slider phones so I prefer the new Q9m. But if it doesn't come equipped with a Rev A chipset then I might have to go with the xv5800.
  11. g-funkster

g-funkster New Member

You're right, we can't, and so we're stuck with a mediocre upgrade that typically costs $400 in retail. If that doesn't deserve a 'bad tone', I don't know what does. But hey, at least you can revel in those $20 of savings.
  12. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

MicroSD Cards

:laugh2:

Unfortunately, it's not necessarily just $20.

First, what about people using 4 GB MiniSD cards? Unless the Q9h supports SDHC (which I would hope any new device does, but I'm not sure), you'd be sacrificing memory.

Second, there's also the time spent having to copy the contents of one memory card to another. I just rebuilt a 2 GB SD card that lost some files, and copying took quite a while (over 10 minutes, I think). I'd rather just take my memory card from my older Q and plug it right into my new Q.

Finally, as I mentioned, it's not just the memory card, but chargers, too. For example, I have an iGo Auto charger and a tip that works with the Q. Does iGo have any Micro USB tips? I didn't see the Q9h listed in the iGo Solution Finder.

And, of course, even if they do have a tip, that's another $10 to spend and a potentially wasted $10 on the Mini USB tip. No, it's not a huge expense, just another hassle, but why nickel and dime people to death?

Maybe backwards compatibility isn't important to you, but it is to some people.

I agree that the Q9M isn't that exciting, but you make it sound like the Q9h is better in every way over the Q9M, and I don't believe that's the case.

Steve
  13. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Q9M Rev. A

If the Q9M truly has the same internal hardware as the current Q, then it won't be Rev. A upgradeable (unless the current Q is, but we haven't seen that upgrade).

I'm not that worried about it, personally; even if stuff downloads more quickly, the rendering time won't change because the processor isn't any faster, so Web pages and streaming video might not be helped all that much anyway. But it certainly wouldn't hurt. :wink:

Steve
  14. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

I have to take issue with Samsung having a good history on releasing Software updates and I would say not likely on the WM7 part. I had the I700 from Samsung around what 2000 time frame. Yes they did finally do the OS update from WM2002 to WM2003 but it was after the users complaining loud and clear to both Verizon and Samsung that it was released. It took 16 months to get the OS upgrade. I personally do not consider that a good history. The end result of that is I do not buy Samsung phones of any type period.
  15. clxa38

clxa38 New Member

16. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Samsung Upgrades

My understanding is that Samsung released or will be releasing:
    • A WM 2003 upgrade for the old i600 Smartphone
    • A WM 2003 upgrade for the i700 Pocket PC Phone (although it took a long time)
    • A WM 5 upgrade for the i730 Pocket PC Phone
    • A WM 6 upgrade for the BlackJack Smartphone
    Compare that to vendors like Motorola who don't seem like they'll be releasing an upgrade for the Q or HP who didn't release a WM 2003 SE upgrades for any of their WM 2003 Pocket PCs, only released WM 5 for the hx4700 as far as I recall and has announced they won't be releasing any WM 6 upgrades.

Also, regarding the i700, are you sure Verizon wasn't the one delaying it? You can't blame Samsung if Verizon was holding it back. Even if Samsung was the slow company, at least they eventually listened to their users, unlike HP and other OEMs who ignored pleas for upgrades.

You had one semi-bad experience with one phone, but still got an upgrade. If you don't like Samsung's upgrade history, what CDMA vendor has a better one?

And what basis do you have for doubting a WM 7 upgrade?

Steve
  17. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

Its simple, carriers and device mfgs make more money off of new equipment and new contracts, they do not make lots of money off of software updates. Most likely Moto not offering an update would be carrier request since the Q9m is coming and as rumored it has the same basic hardware as the original Q.

Yes I had a bad experience with Samsung and the I700, and yes both sides blamed the other. At the end of the day it IS the manufacturers job to tell the users that it won't be upgraded.

I have lived through the blame game many times with different manufacturers but the I700 was by far the worst and the device was a POS with multiple issues.

The I600 which I also had for a time was so device locked at Verizon's request that it was unusable at times.

On the I730 I did not buy one for obvious reasons, but how long did it take for the WM5 upgrade to come out?

Blackjack, cute phone but way too small and I will agree if it shows up then that is a good thing for those users.

I am not a casual user of pdaphones and smartphones, but I do find when you merge a device mfg and Verizon together you get bent over. Obviously Apple did it the right way at least partly when it comes to AT&T not having control over the OS updates being OTA. That is the best way.
  18. Eugene

Eugene New Member

Just got off the phone with my rep who said if the Q9m (or any other new phones) was coming out this week then he would know about it by now so at least another week wait.
  19. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

OS Upgrades

I have no idea. My Motorola Q is my first Windows Mobile phone, so I didn't pay attention to the time it took upgrades to come out. The important thing is that one did come out, I think.

Apple is a unique case, though. They forced a lot on AT&T (like Visual Voice Mail), not that that's a bad thing. :laugh2: Also, we don't have any evidence that Apple will upgrade the OS, yet, right? Update for bug fixes, perhaps, but will they actually provide upgrades to new versions? That remains to be seen.

Also, Windows Mobile 6 has a Windows Update feature in it. (Of course, old WM devices had a hidden Updates control panel applet, too, but it didn't do anything as far as I know.) We'll have to see how (or if) Microsoft uses that in the future.

Steve
  20. clxa38

clxa38 New Member