Use Q9H as wireless bluetooth modem on ATT's 3G network

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by twentworth12, Dec 17, 2007.

1. twentworth12

twentworth12 New Member

Use Q9H as wireless bluetooth modem on ATT's 3G network

I finally got this working on my Macbook Pro running Leopard. For those of you wanting to connect to the Internet through your Q9H, here's what I had to do:

1) Open System Preferences->Bluetooth. Make sure your phone is paired. Select the "gear" icon at the bottom of the Bluetooth window. Select "Edit Serial Ports".

2) Click the "+" icon to add a new Bluetooth Serial Port. Set the Protocol to "Modem" and the Service to "Dialup Networking". Check the box that says "Show in Network Preferences".

3) Go to System Preferences->Network. You should see a new entry listed for your Bluetooth Serial Port. Set "Account Name" to wap@cingulargrps.com. Set "Password" to cingular1.

4) Select "Advanced" and change the Modem to Vendor "Generic" model "GPRS/3G". Set the APN to wap.cingular.

5) Select "Connect". If you've done everything correctly, you should be online. My speed has ranged from 500-800 down and 200-400 up.

I have the standard data plan from AT&T without the tethering option. Now that I have it working, I'm going to add the tethering option.
  2. playbeasy

playbeasy New Member

These directions worked great. I'm on and surfing from my Macbook Pro while tethered to my q9h on AT&T. Thanks so much!!!
  3. lbmmoh

lbmmoh New Member

anyone have a good write up for BT tethering on a PC?
  4. deejay

deejay New Member

Will this also work with a Black Macbook...not the Pro. I have a new Macbook and have it set up with my Macbook (it can exchange files, etc.) but I can't seem to use it as a modem. I can't find "network" as an option in "System Preferences". Thanks for all the help!
    JK
  5. deejay

deejay New Member

Never mind. I got it working:2cool::2cool::2cool:
    By the way...I have to add that this is a great post!!!!! I love my MotoQ Global and I'm also new to Mac, this being my first AppleMac computer after using Windows for 15 years! Thanks again.
  6. d2burke

d2burke New Member

Pheww!! + Sigh of relief

Thank you for allowing me to stay with my Q instead of going back to the BJII and the USB!! I've been up for an hour tonight and I've spent much time on other occasions trying to get this to work and your steps made the magic happen! Thanks man!:laugh2:

7. parishmc

parishmc New Member