Use built-in GPS for CoPilot and others

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by bobsmithflys, Sep 11, 2007.

1. bobsmithflys

bobsmithflys New Member

Use built-in GPS for CoPilot and others

Has anyone hacked the GPS in a Sprint Q for use in a 3rd party GPS application? Or is aGPS unuseable outside E911? If there is already a thread I couldn't find it, but eil be thankful if someone could point me in the right direction, either way. Thanks ahead of time.
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

-- moved --

not sure if this is what you are asking, but in order to use the GPS you need a external GPS receiver..
  3. bobsmithflys

bobsmithflys New Member

Rephrase

Thanks for the reply, but let me clarify my question. I understand that the Moto Q has built-in GPS receiver, but, due to Motorola's programing, it can only be used for E911 (giving your location when you call 911). So, to be able to utilize GPS functionality in programs like CoPilot and Google Maps, one has to buy a stand-alone GPS receiver.

My question is whether, through a hack, the existing internal GPs receiver may be used for "regular" GPS functions and not just E911?
  4. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

you would be a hero around here if you found a hack to do that..
  5. bobsmithflys

bobsmithflys New Member

While I don't have the aptitude do attempt such a hack, it would seem possible as Sprint, for example, uses the built-in GPS receiver for "Family Locator."

it is so aggravating that the phone has the capability, and Sprint won't even let you purchase a service to use what you already have (Sprint won't sell it's navigation service to Q users). I just don't get it.
  6. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

didn't wanna say it before i found a confirmation, read this, and after that do a search for "GPS receiver" and you'll find more threads that most likely tell you something like this.