USB Tethering to MAC works great!

Discussion in 'Mac and Motorola Q' started by Frozengeek, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Frozengeek

Frozengeek New Member

USB Tethering to MAC works great!

Found this article on qusers.com on how to use usb tethering and your Q as a modem instead of bluetooth and it works great. I am using it to post this now.

http://www.qusers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7919

Process To Enable USB Connection
    1.) Download the (trial) program here: http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem_wm.html
    2.) Unzip the downloaded file.
    3.) Open the folder named "macosx" in the folder named "drivers"
    4.) Copy the "Mobile Stream CDMA" file to: /Library/Modem Scripts/ folder (you don't need the other file for these purposes)
    5.) Install the program on your Q. The CAB file. The EXE is for installation on Windows.

Next, we're going to set up a USB modem.
    6.) Connect your Q to your Mac via USB. Run the newly installed program named "USB Modem". For your connection select "USB", check the "Enabled on start" option and hit the key to "Enable".

** YOU MUST STAY IN THIS PROGRAM FOR THIS TO WORK. IF YOU EXIT, THEN YOUR COMPUTER WON'T SEE YOUR Q CONNECTED ANYMORE.

7.) Once this is done, you can go to System Preferences > Network. You should see an item for USB Modem along with your other Network Devices (BT, Airport, etc.). Select it, and click configure. If you don't see the USB Modem entry, then quit System Preferences, reconnect the Q, enable the program and try again. It should work.

8.) For configuring, this is basically like before. In the PPP tab:
    Account Name: yourNumber@vzw3g.com
    Password: vzw
    Telephone Nuber: #777

Click the "PPP Options..." button. Be sure to uncheck both "Send PPP echo packets" and Use TCP header compression. The instructions that come with this program mention that Verizon users will probably have to enable "Send PPP echo packets" (and I have these enabled for my old BT connection when I could tether before the update), but for this you should leave it unchecked. When I had this checked, I could still connect, but after 2 or 3 minutes I would be disconnected. With this not checked, everything is staying connected perfectly.

9.) Still in this dialog box, click the "Modem" tab. Select "Mobile Stream CDMA" as the modem (this is the file we copied earlier - if you don't see it, you forgot to copy it to your Modem Scripts folder) and click "Apply Now".

10.) Now, go back to the "PPP" tab. Click the "Dial Now..." button. This will bring up Internet Connect.

11.) In Internet Connect click the "Connect" button.

You should be connected. Congratulations!
  2. ph363

ph363 New Member

can anyone verify if this will bt tether with the purchased version?
  3. Frozengeek

Frozengeek New Member

I have not tried it with bluetooth. I will and let you know. If all you want is bluetooth sync download pdanet from junefabrics.com it wont time out for bluetooth syncing.
  4. Frozengeek

Frozengeek New Member

Ok so I have tried it. It will tether via Bluetooth. Although it is slower.
  5. jaross

jaross New Member

help please. cannot get usb modem to show up on my powerbook with tiger. any ideas????
  6. Frozengeek

Frozengeek New Member

Before you connect your Q to your notebook, make sure to start the usb software on your Q first. If you do not It will not be recognized as a usb modem.
  7. jaross

jaross New Member

I was using a cable that said on it "for charging only"..... that was my problem...

this is sweet! it works now!
  8. Frozengeek

Frozengeek New Member

Glad to hear that it is working for you. I did not know they made cables for charging only.
  9. ph363

ph363 New Member

updated to leopard....mobile-steam no longer works. I have heard that the driver structure is different in 10.5, has anyone looked into this?

edit: nm, got it to work
  10. macadeezy

macadeezy New Member

Im having the same problem connecting through usb modem after my Leopard upgrade. What did you do to correct the problem?
  11. ph363

ph363 New Member

I did a fresh install as opposed to just updating 10.4 to 10.5.
  12. macadeezy

macadeezy New Member

Yeah I just tried that too. Still no luck. It worked flawlessly on Tiger though. I don't remember the drivers being Unix Executable Files when I dropped them into modem scripts. Do you know if they are supposed to be that kind of file?

Mobile Stream support has told me that they are working on compatibility for USB Modem for Leopard and are expecting to release a fix soon. However I have no problems with PDANet BT, its just much slower than USB Modem.
  13. nuklehed

nuklehed New Member

How did you get it to work in Leopard? What did you have to change from the instructions?
  14. ph363

ph363 New Member

It worked a few times, but has now stopped. This doesn't make much sense. Has anyone contacted mobile-stream about this?
  15. thepaperboy

thepaperboy New Member

ok i found all the settings the instructions tell you to do on 10.5 and i have placed them all but when i click on connect it just pops up a error that says there was a modem error with your settings i cant figure this out for the ones that did have this working for a little on 10.5 please tell me what settings you used to make it work so i can try
  16. navait

navait New Member

Mac Leopard using Motorola Q as modem via BT

Hey all, I got internet via BT on Leopard without paying the $15 bucks. This is only for Bluetooth; you're on your own with USB, i couldn't get it to work.

1. Install PDAnet on your Q via some god-forsaken Windows machine. Turn your Q's Bluetooth off using the Wireless Manager, then go down to PDAnet via your Start menu. Make sure that Bluetooth DUN networking is checked. I know Mobile Stream's USB Modem worked well under Tiger. I couldn't get it to work, but your mileage may vary. Probably will, actually.
    2. Hook up your Q and your Mac via BT. This involves some rigmarole; make sure BT on both Q and Mac are discoverable; your Mac will suggest a random key that you'll have to type in on your Q. This part is pretty self-explanatory; I did it while at work and not paying attention.
    3. Whether you've already synced your Q or not, you can restart the set-up process in the right place by going to System Preferences and then Network. On the right-hand side, all fancy-like, is the list of your potential internet connections. If "Bluetooth" isn't one of them, click the plus sign at the bottom. By the way: "Bluetooth PAN" isn't what you're looking for, unless you want to access the web html page by html page via OBEX.
    4. Click on Bluetooth and then Set Up Bluetooth Device. Click the plus sign on the bottom of the left panel, click "Continue" and then select Mobile Phone. Leopard will look for your phone; when your Q shows up (prob. "Motorola Q9m" or something of the like) select it and click "Continue."
    5. It'll "gather" information about your "device." No idea what's going on here, but click "Continue" as soon as you can. In the next screen, make sure that "Access the Internet with your phone's data connection" is checked.
    6. Here's where I got stuck a couple times before, and from what I can tell is the only serious difference between Tiger and Leopard. (Only saying that because I hadn't heard any mention of this in any previous tutorial) The Q isn't recognized by Leopard as a dial-up modem. I've got some weird default results under Phone Vender and Phone Model including "Generic" and "Apple" (wtf?), but what you need to do is select Generic under "Phone Vender" and Dialup Device under "Phone Model." Intuitive, no? Throw in your username (yournumber@vzw3g.com, without the dashes, natch) and password (just plain vzw) and phone number (#777) and you're golden.
    7. There are some PPP preferences you should make sure are okay. Click "Continue" past the config screen with username etc and then "Quit" to get back to the Bluetooth control screen. Hit the back arrow to get back to your Network status.
    8. Click "Advanced" in the bottom corner, then click on the "PPP" tab. Change the "Settings" pop-up to "Configuration". Make sure that "Send PPP echo packets' and "Use TCP header compression" are NOT checked. Nobody seems to know why; it's just passed down from Q user to Q user as screw-vwz gospel. I say don't mess with it.
    9. Click "Okay" out of that screen, and you're back to "Network." Click "connect" and you should be okay.
    I make no guarantees for any of this. This is my first post. The only other slightly hackish thing i've gotten to work on my Q is an NES emulator. Everything except the weird Leopard settings is credit to
    http://www.qusers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7919

Anything doesn't work? Not sure what I can do. Respond and we'll use the collective power of the internet to give some vague answers and then probably let the post die. Or something. Or you can PM me to death. You know, either way.

17. macadeezy

macadeezy New Member

Has anyone verified if this works with the q9m? I cant get it to stop saying BT not supported on my q9m. It worked fine for my old black q.
  18. macadeezy

macadeezy New Member

I emailed pdanet and they sent me a link for a new pdanet cab file that unlocked the BT feature for the Q9m. They also informed me that they are in the works to release a new version soon.
  19. navait

navait New Member

i got mine working with the Q9m... PDAnet gives you that error when you try to start it?
  20. bandit8706

bandit8706 New Member

THAT IS AN AWESOME WORKTHROUGH!....but i dont have verizon. Can you tell me how to edit
    this part to work for sprint.
    Anyone that can offer a suggestion? It would be GREATLY appreciated.