Upgrading to Windows Mobile 6

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Nick Danger, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Nick Danger

Nick Danger New Member

Upgrading to Windows Mobile 6

Is there any related charge from Microsoft to upgrade to 6.0 when it is release for our Q's..?
  2. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

Moto has to agree to put the upgrade out for Verizon to test and also agree to offer it so, no MS has no charge to us and has rumored to offer it at no charge if the OEM & Carrier offer it to their customers.
  3. gmplr831

gmplr831 New Member

Sprint

rumor has it sprint will be receiving it too. someone on these forums had gotten that answer. Search around, i am sure you will find it to be true too.
  4. WorksInTheory

WorksInTheory New Member

When's it coming out and what's better about it over 5.0?
  5. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

Unkown
    Over 10,000 improvements. Search around to see what they are :-p
  6. WorksInTheory

WorksInTheory New Member

Haha - okay I will. I am just concerned - if it's anything like any of the Windows upgrades on the desktop this thing might use up all the memory and bog down the phone! :laugh2:
  7. SpiritOfTwoThousand

SpiritOfTwoThousand New Member

Hopefully it will fix some of the quirks that these phones seem to be running. Hopefully the upgrade won't bog down the RAM either, otherwise it isn't worth the upgrade!
  8. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

By the time WM6 hits the shelves... early Q adopters will be up for a new contract anyway. Something tells me the Q won't be offered an upgrade path to WM6, but rather a "refreshed" Q will be overed w/ it pre-installed. Strictly guessing, but WM5 isn't as buggy/limited as WM2003 was (which is why the WM5 upgrade path was FINALLY offered to users)
  9. inf3st

inf3st New Member

vtd do you know if they added ems in WM6?
  10. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

I have read elsewhere that Verizon has confirmed yes, but no date at this time, my guess is summer at the earliest and hopefully sooner. Sprint will most likely be first since they probably had WM6 upgrade in process with Moto and Verizon is slow and it gets when it comes to upgrades.
  11. inf3st

inf3st New Member

All vzw reps that i have spoke with say that wm6 will be available for the Q. But they also don't know the difference between data and text on the Q. So I have no doubt in my mind that they actually even know what they are talkin about.
  12. westonea

westonea New Member

I spoke with a MS rep at the Vista launch, and was told that WM6 would run no problems on the Q, however with the new Q, would Motorola make it avail? After all that would give us no reason to go out and but the new version
  13. keith.granger

keith.granger New Member

update to WM6.0

I talked to motorola today and also i talked to microsoft. i found out that no seems to have an exact answer on this. I was told that the phones hardware might not support wm6. can anyone confirm this?also does anyone know if you can view videos straight form the wireless internet? is there something that can be downloaded? HELP!
  14. mhhd

mhhd New Member

15. westonea

westonea New Member

But wasnt 'push-email' in the patch that MS released with Exchange 2003 SP2 for the WM5? At least that was the stuff they were pushing to the IT market...
  16. malatesta

malatesta New Member

You're kidding, right?

Push email came with AKU 2.x which was in Jan 2006.

WM6 adds tons of features, a lot under the hood (speedier, faster boot, better graphics, new sounds, built in VOIP) but also

- HTML email
    - Search server for email (Exchange 2007)
    - Hotkeys for email
    - Windows Live intergration (Messenger, search, etc. including audio clips)
    - Storage card encryption/better security/certificates
    - New calender system
    - Office Mobile for smartphone (finally)
    - Faster IE ("33% speed improvement"), AJAX support, new Home page

It only takes 5 seconds of google searches to find this stuff:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonlan/archive/2007/02/08/windows-mobile-6-what-s-new-and-what-s-cool.aspx

or just watch this video: http://on10.net/Blogs/laura/windows-mobile-6-is-here/

And of course the Moto Q can run WM6 since WM6 doesn't have any new hardware requirement than WM5. Seeing as the GSM Q can run WM6 just fine it's not a stretch to think the CDMA version can as well. Since there is no CDMA Q q9, the competition angle doesn't hold up either.

Will sprint or verizon do it is another question.
  17. mhhd

mhhd New Member

Increased performance is always welcomed, of course. New OSes on computers usually only offer better performance when used on new hardware, but hopefully that's not the case with mobiles.

Otherwise there's nothing on that list that I'm looking for. If an upgrade is free and there are no significant bugs then maybe I'll play around with it. On the other hand, a WM5 smartphone version of Opera I am awaiting eagerly.
  18. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

I believe I will eat crow --- everywhere I've looked says WM6 will be coming to the Q if VZW gives the go ahead. Sprint is even saying it will be available as a free upgrade to the Q on a mail-in basis (which I compeletely do NOT understand). Not sure if they're going to flash or just send you a new unit and refurb the one you send in....
  19. imagness

imagness New Member

Upgrading WM5 to WM6

It has been a couple of months since the last post. Has anyone found out how I can upgrade from WM5 to WM6 for my Q?
  20. punch

punch New Member

There is no new information. Windows mobile 6 is not yet released for the Q.