Upgrading from WM 5 to WM 6 on moto q

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by q5485, Jun 1, 2007.

1. q5485

q5485 New Member

Upgrading from WM 5 to WM 6 on moto q

It seems from the following MS team blog that one can upgrade from WM 5 to WM on moto q:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/default.aspx

Has anyone tried thier approach and installed wm6? I am sorry if this is a repeat question that has been answered elsewhere but I haven't found the solution.
    Thanks.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

i dont see anything on that page that says upgrading to wm6
  3. extremum

extremum New Member

Wow, the thread title almost gave me the willies, until I remembered that the Moto Q isn't upgradable to WM6 - possibly, never will be. :(
  4. q5485

q5485 New Member

If you scroll down to the bottom, this is what it says:

"For a default Windows Mobile 6 SDK install, the SDKCerts cab is located at "C:\Program Files\Windows Mobile 6 SDK\Tools\Security\SDK Development Certificates\Certs.cab". Copy this CAB to a device configured like the above, and it will successfully install. Once the SDK certs are installed, you can write your own programs and use all the development tools that ship with the SDK."

Before that section, it outlines what you can do to unlock so that you can install wm6.
    Kash
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

@ q5485: here's a wild idea, why don't you try it ? :}
  6. n99hockey

blech thats way to much to do...and personally im not attempting this with the chance of bricking the phone....
  7. q5485

q5485 New Member

Actaully I did try it out. The only reason I considered it seriously is that it was written by MS mobile team and they were responding to some questions about upgrading. I tried their steps. The first one was to install DSM (Device Security Manager) located at
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8c-d587-47e0-908b-09fee6ea517a&DisplayLang=en

I tried to install it but the installation would not complete because the .NET 2 was required (or something to that effect). I could not proceed with that installation. Maybe someone knows how to install it and unlock it.

Again, I would not consider it had it not been written by the "Official Windows Mobile Team" blog.

K
  8. extremum

extremum New Member

Install .NET CF 2.0, and try it again! I already have it on my phone, but I'm too wise to rig an unsupported OS into my "less than month old" Q. :laugh2:
  9. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

@ q5485: for some unrelated reason i had to install .NET v2, so we know that works on the Q.. if the Official Windows Mobile Team has written that it should work, they might also give you support ?

from what i read on here (EQ) it might not be possible to use it on the current Q and most here (for sure me :} rather have a somewhat stable WM5 with 3rd party programs to fill in the holes/limitations then WM6..
  10. abrigham

abrigham New Member

I just read through the article... it has nothing to do with installing WM6... it's referring to security certificates and some non-touchscreen smartphones being locked down to prevent 3rd party certificates being installed. From the article: "Some non-touchscreen Windows Mobile devices ship with a set of security policies that prevents developers from adding their own codesigning certificates." Also: "For this post I'll assume that the end goal is to get the SDK certificates (sdkcerts.cab) installed on the phone. Once you've done that, you can run the remote registry editor from the SDK, develop and sign your own programs and do whatever you want."

So, this basically tells programmers how to prevent the "This application has not been signed" prompt, which on some smartphones prevents the app from installing at all (the Sprint Q is not locked down in this way... not sure about the VZW Q). This also appears to only apply to WM6 as it refers to the WM6 SDK (Software Developers' Kit).
  11. neves

neves New Member

12. n99hockey

the link does not work
  13. rasmith3530

rasmith3530 New Member

This describes the installation of a software developer's kit, or, in other words, programming tools for writing code. This is not for upgrading the operating system. The URL that you got this from should provide the clue. It came from the MSDN (Microsoft Developer's Network) area of Microsoft's web site. If it were an article on how to upgrade the Moto Q from WM5 up to WM6, it would be posted in the Windowsmobile section of the Microsoft site.

+++++
    Sent from a laptop running Debian GNU/Linux
    www.debian.org
    +++++
  14. BIGD

BIGD New Member

The Lik Is Empty