*UPDATED 08/19/07** Playing SEGA GENESIS On Your Q!!

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by IDontKnowOfficer?, May 16, 2007.

?

Rate this article from 1 to 5

1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

30.8%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

15.4%
  5. 5

53.8%
  1. IDontKnowOfficer?

IDontKnowOfficer? New Member

*UPDATED 08/19/07** Playing SEGA GENESIS On Your Q!!

**** PLEASE CHECK PAGE 4 FOR UPDATED VERSION OF THE SOFTWARE!***

Hey EQ community Officer here, im gonna post an extremely simple way to install the PecoDrive Sega Genesis emulator on your Q. This is a free program which i will provide to you here: View attachment 608

(Only down-fall with this Emulator is the sound hasnt yet been configured, from what I know the author is currently working on fixing that problem and I will post the new emulator as soon as it is released. But still, enjoy all your favorite childhood games on your Q!)

TO INSTALL: 1.) Using ActiveSync. 2.) Using StorageCard (RECOMMENDED). 3.) Configuring and playing!

Download the file provided to your desktop and open the PicoDrive_QVGA_05_01_06.rar file. Extract the two files within to your desktop also.

1.) With your Q connected to your computer running the ActiveSync software, double click My Computer then double click Mobile Device. Next highlight and drag the two files you had just extracted to your desktop to the window that you had just double clicked (Mobile Device), it should copy the PecoDrive.exe file and FileDialogSP.dll to the Mobile Device folder. (Inside the Mobile Device folder you should see database, app data, connmgr, docprof, docs and settings, mapi, my docs, storage cards, temp, & windows (something along those lines)), the two files you just copied should appear next to those other files listed. Then disconnect your Q and open the file manager, scroll down the list and you should see the PecoDrive.exe file on your Q. Open the PecoDrive file and it will ask you something about installing the file to your device, hit accept. Jump to step 3.

2.) Installing to a StorageCard, put your card in the card reader and open the StorageCard. Make a folder if you prefer and drag the PecoDrive.exe file and FileDialogSP.dll file to your card (which you extracted earlier). Return the card to the Q and open the file manager, you should then be able see the PecoDrive.exe file. Click the file and it will ask you something about installing to your device, continue and click accecpt. Jump to step 3.

3.) Installing and playing Sega Genesis ROMs. ROMs can be found at sites such as http://www.rom-world.com/dl.php?name=Sega_Genesis&letter=A & http://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/genesis.html. Simply download each ROM (open the zipped file if applicable and extract them to your desktop) and drag the game to your device or storage card where you have the PecoDrive application. You then open the PecoDrive application and hit the right soft key and select "Portrait" (so the screen isn't sideways). Then go to ConfigKeys, and it will guide you through each step to select which key you want to be what. (These keys are normal, UP is UP and DOWN is DOWN etc.) Then hit the left soft key and select Load ROM. Load the rom from where ever you saved it hitting the middle key on the directional pad. It will highlight the ROM into the space in the bottom of the screen. Then select open. The screen will then return back to the PecoDrive application, hit the left soft key where it says Game and hit Resume, this will then start the ROM.
    TO EXIT ROM: Pause game with your "start" button and select the left soft key, this should engage another menu from the left hand side of the screen and you will be able to then select Exit.

I have spent hours putting this piece together for you all to enjoy, hopefully it comes to good use! If so, please add to my reputation as i am still a "knewbie" on EQ. I love this site and will continue to pass the information i have gained to other Q users. See you all throughout the forums! Officer! :2cool:

Attached Files:

2. KOOLWATER

KOOLWATER New Member

No sound?... That kind of sucks. How are the graffics? Does it perform as well as the nintendo emulator?

Can you post a screen shot? Thanks,
  3. IDontKnowOfficer?

The graphics are the same as the Sega Gensis console but on your phone! The sound is worth substituting for being able to play Sega, trust me. Also, I was searching around this morning and found a site that said there are a few games that the sound does work with. If I can find the link again I will post it on here later on. Some screenshots here: View attachment 611 View attachment 612 View attachment 613 & View attachment 614

Tell me what you think EQ community, any other questions about the app. will be answered in as much as detail as possable.

PS. Those were not taken from my phone as I dont know how to without using another camera.

Attached Files:

4. KOOLWATER

KOOLWATER New Member

Looks nice, I think I'll give it a go. I've been wanting to play Sonic again for years!:2cool:
  5. _RT_

_RT_ New Member

Screen size is a bit small. I'll have to play around with the settings a bit more and see if we can get them better.
  6. FourTwenSesh

FourTwenSesh Active Member

This is just deadly, thanks brother!
  7. Suture

Suture New Member

I used PicoDrive on my Nokia 9300 and loved it. The sound did affect the performance on most games, though.

Thanks for the info, I might try this out so I can squeeze in some General Chaos while I'm at work :laugh2:
  8. IDontKnowOfficer?

RGR, thought some of you might like it even if you guys dont post replies :wink:
  9. paulie

paulie New Member

screen size

is there a way to make the display larger?
  10. paulie

paulie New Member

screen size

cuz the screen size is quite small
  11. IDontKnowOfficer?

Does it fill your entire Q screen??, check out the properties and settings in PicoDrive
  12. dcdomain

dcdomain New Member

I'll try it out when I get home. Not having sound is no biggie, my NES emulator is so loud (the sound isn't adjustable) that I have it turned off by default.
  13. Apollo 13

Apollo 13 New Member

Can anyone tell us how to fix it to full screen?
  14. IDontKnowOfficer?

Not that i know of, do you have in portrait mode? Check around in the properties and settings menu's. Lemme know how it works out.

Officer!
  15. dilirum

dilirum New Member

That is tight! Love it - thanks for putting this together!
  16. replica9000

replica9000 New Member

Awesome! I just picked up a black Q and with this emu it's now like the Game Gear I never had! lol
  17. IDontKnowOfficer?

Actually the sound is adjustable. Before you open the NES emulator and load up your game hold down the scroll wheel for about two seconds and a sound adjustable bar will pop up. Then just adjust the sound to what you like (with the scroll wheel), probably about 2/5's of the way will sound alright. If already in a game just hit the clr button and it should pause the game and bring you to the emulator options, then just hold down the scroll wheel and adjust to your liking (like said uptop). Hopefully this works out for ya!

Officer! :2cool:
  18. dilirum

dilirum New Member

Oh wow, I couldn't figure that one out either. Couldn't find it in settings so I assumed the same thing - that it had two settings, no loud, or defening. Thanks Officer!

So hey, NES and SNES emulators worked like a champ for me on the first try's, but I can't get PicoDrive to work. When I try to open PicoDrive.exe (which is in the rar) nothing opens up. Am I missing something obvious? Did anybody else have problems? Maybe I'll try to d/l again.
  19. dilirum

dilirum New Member

Nevermind. File was currupt or something. Re-downloaded and it works great now.

Doesn't appear to be a way to increase the screen size. Lack of sound kinda sucks, but hey, I'll still take it. Still a sweet find!
  20. IDontKnowOfficer?

Good thing you got the emulator and sound adjusted for other games, good luck and happy playing man!

Officer!:2cool: