unlocking the GSM for international SIM

Discussion in 'Samsung Saga' started by nganto, Aug 14, 2009.

1. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

im curious. did you have the original vodaphone sim that comes with the saga and did you need to use it with the turbo sim to get your new sim working? my understanding was that you needed to insert the original sim first so turbo sim can read and spoof it for the phone.
  2. nganto

nganto New Member

i do have it.
    but i don't need it to get turbo sim worked.
    just pop in a non verizon sim along turbo sim and i'm a happy man.
  3. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

the vodaphone sim that comes with your phone is used for roaming purposes on a gsm network. that sim will work wether the phone is unlocked or not. the turbo sim is meant to be used with another carrier's sim so that you can avoid roaming.
  4. larsdennert

Yea that's why I was questioning the method behind it. The phone is locked to the specific vodaphone sim supplied with it. I was surprised to hear that the turbo sim can unlock the phone without knowing anything about the sim that the phone is locked to. Pretty impressive. Mine has shipped but it is coming form Hong Kong so it'll take a while before I can report back on my experience.

Why the phone has to be activated on Verizon to unlock the phone/sim port through VZW is a mystery to me. Seems like it could be done without based upon what the turbo sim does. Usually you just read off the IMEI to them and they give you the calculated code to unlock.
  5. nganto

nganto New Member

exactly.
    unlike other GSM phones locked to an operator, when an alien SIM detected, a Network PIN window will haunt you (in an WM phone AFAIK) until an 8 digit numbers punched in. not in the case of saga, only a lock with a NET sign icon displayed in the top bar. You can not enter a Network PIN, neither by special secret code prefix.

that's why i'm very surprised that it can be done by box unlocking (in ninjaap case), but alas, it is not available (or found) yet here in indonesia.

but at least, turbo sim bleeds you only 3 bucks. hurray.
  6. larsdennert

Here might be an example why you are only getting GPRS and not Edge. The Saga might be looking on the wrong band. Same reason the iphone can't do 3G on Tmobile.

AT&T is using 850 and 1900 (UMTS band II/V). T-Mobile USA is using 1700 and 2100 (UMTS band IV).

The iPhone 3G supports "UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)"

Only one T-Mobile USA frequency is supported by the iPhone 3G.

On T-Mobile's USA network, the 1700 MHz part is used for the uplink while the 2100 MHz part of the spectrum is used for the downlink (network to mobile).
    Since the iPhone does not support the 1700 band, it will still not work with T-Mobile.
  7. nganto

nganto New Member

IMHO, the turbo sim is not EDGE compatible.

i have 2 q9h, one unlocked by IMEI, the other is using turbo sim since it's a test phone. the former showed EDGE in the bar, the latter only G. both using the same network.

q9h and saga are quire similar spec in the GSM band capabilities according to pdadb.net. but well, i guess, i'll never know, since i can not unlock it for being a non verizon user.

so, have you tried it yourself?
  8. larsdennert

Waiting on the turbo sim still...
  9. seego

seego New Member

Any updates on this, larsdennert?
  10. larsdennert

Ah, yea. I have the turbo sim and it fits with the sim in the slot. What I need to do is borrow an active sim to try out. My dad has tmobile, I have friends on iphones and one guy on a gsm pay as you go.

I just have to hook up with them since the vodaphone sim doesn't work in the US. I don't want to buy and activate a pay as you go sim if I don't have to. Our office is on VZW and Sprint.

It'll be interesting. The turbo sim is super slim. thinner than a piece of paper with a slight bump on the end where the chip is.
  11. seego

seego New Member

it will be great if that TurboSim does actually unlocks the phone for GSM operators with no need to call Verizon.
  12. larsdennert

I tried an AT&T pay as you go sim and got an invalid sim warning. No luck there.
  13. nganto

nganto New Member

that's bad news.
    but again, it might due to improper installation (it must be placed/aligned perfectly with the sim) or broken turbosim. i bought another two turbosim for motorola K1, one is bad, one is good.

in indonesia, there are 4 different GSM operators. i managed to test 3 of them with turbo sim, and they all passed.

i bought another saga for my friend, pop another turbosim, and also worked. and he reported that he can not make it worked for the first time, but after second attempt (insert the turbosim first, but not 100%, around 95%, then insert the sim card), turbo sim worked. and again, no EDGE.
  14. larsdennert

Thanks, I'll keep playing with it. I get no camplaints with the Vodaphone + turbo sim except the usual, you are in the US do you want to switch to CDMA.
  15. bhoomika

bhoomika New Member

I will help you