unlocking a verizon wireless Moto Q

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Antipostman, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Antipostman

Antipostman New Member

unlocking a verizon wireless Moto Q

I've been searhing high and low trying to find a way to unlock my moto q. Not app. unlock, i've done that already but completely unlock it. Is there anyone out there with the skills or know how to do this. I've already tried IMEI code unlocking put in about a few days time it hit me IMEI codes only work with GSM and UMTS phones, the Motorola Q is an CDMA phone they have MEID or ESN numbers. So i find out how to get my MEID/ESN number all i need now is a program to input the code in to and unlock my phone.
  2. Geckotek

Geckotek New Member

What EXACTLY are you trying to accomplish? CDMA phones are not "locked" in the same way GSM phones are (not for the same purpose anyway.)

Unlocking it may allow you to tinker with some of the settings (radio etc...) but won't allow you to activate the phone on another US carrier.
  3. Antipostman

Antipostman New Member

So your telling me that there is no way to unlock the phone for the use of another US carrier. If this had been true then why might verizon and sprint use the Motorola Q phone. I under stand that CDMA phones don't work with some carriers the same as GSM phones. Simply put i don't want to pay for another contract with verizon and i don't want to pay another company to unlock my phone.
  4. K3SRK

K3SRK New Member

Most carriers will refuse to activate it unless it has their logo and firmware. Yes, the logo on the front of the case. That has been a real sticking point lately.
  5. scottjb

scottjb New Member

Sprint will not activate a VZW phone and vice versa. The ESN has to be one of their "own" for them to activate it.
  6. Geckotek

Geckotek New Member

There's actually some history of people hacking Sprint Treo 650s to activate on VZW, it is possible.

However, Sprint won't allow the opposite.

So if what you are wanting to do is unlock a Sprint Q to activate on Verizon, it may be possible....but it's a real stretch.

You will need to find a way to trick Sprint into giving up the Master Subsidy Lock (MSL) code. This is next to impossible and I don't have any suggestions for you. You might search MSL. If you get that far, you'll have to find someone who knows the codes to change in the OS to get the phone moved to Verizon....there's a slight chance Verizon tech support would help you do this. Then complete the ESN change on Verizon and finally *22899 to program it OTA.

Of course, this all happened a couple of years ago. It's perfectly possible that VZW has activated a similar policy to Sprint. Even back then though, you had to call several CSRs before you could find one willing to activate a Sprint ESN.

Good luck, but I don't think this information is easily available.
  7. Antipostman

Antipostman New Member

Thanks a million guys. I'll start my search asap. I'll post back and let you guys know what happened.:smile: