Unlock Q9h | Want to use it in India

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by RJNJC, Jan 30, 2008.

1. RJNJC

RJNJC New Member

Unlock Q9h | Want to use it in India

My Info:
    1. Phone: Motorola Q9H (what a sweet little machine it is!)
    2. Carrier: AT&T
    3. Need to be able to use it in India during Feb.

Q1: Is it possible to unlock the phone by myself? If so, where can I get information on the process to unlock?
    Q2: On unlocking will I lose use of any features/software at all - carrier-dependant or not?
    Q3: Any recommendation/suggestion of 3rd party unlocking code providers?

:2cool:
  2. dwboston

dwboston New Member

If your account has been in good standing with AT&T for more than 90 days, you can call them and ask for the unlock code for your phone. You will have to add the "international roaming" feature (no cost). Tell them you are traveling abroad and want to use a local SIM while overseas. The number to call is 916-843-4685, which is AT&T's International Support group. It can take 7-10 days to get you the code via email. Some folks have got it faster.

SIM Unlocking will not disrupt your phone in any way - it only allows you to use other SIM's in the phone. It also raises the resale value a bit.
  3. RJNJC

RJNJC New Member

Thanks dwboston,

When you say AT&T for 90 days. Do you mean the account or the time I have had the phone?

I have been a 'good-standing' customer of AT&T since 2006, but have had the Q9H for just about a month now.

Still worth a shot with AT&T International Tech?

4. dwboston

dwboston New Member

The account. You should be fine. The rep will do an eligibility check before putting the request through. Have the IMEI of your device handy to give to them if you haven't already added it to your account.
  5. RJNJC

RJNJC New Member

IMEI is attached to my account.
    I'll call AT&T later and will report back.

Thanks again!

6. RJNJC

RJNJC New Member

Put the call through to ATT International Dept.
    Went pretty smooth. No ifs, No buts. Confirm IMEI number and email address. They will obtain unlock code from manufacturers and it will be sent by email within 7 days.

Saved a few dollars there.

However, the rep did 'warn' me: That once I unlock the phone, then the warranty will be null and void - seeing that my Q9H is still a 'new' phone.

Should I be concerned about this? Should I not 'unlock' my phone?

Hope to get some thoughts and ideas from Q-ers!

7. dwboston

dwboston New Member

I think the rep is full of it. All you are doing is entering in the subsidy unlock code. That doesn't void the warranty.
  8. RJNJC

RJNJC New Member

Those were my thoughts also. Especially since I am unlocking in 'full sight' of ATT and they themselves are providing me the unlock code.

With such reps and the lack of passage of sufficient information, it has come to the point that we need find the answers first and then put the question to the reps later!

Thanks for your help, dwb.

9. mexiken

mexiken New Member

It shouldn't void your warranty. I never remember seeing anything like that....
  10. RJNJC

RJNJC New Member

I'll call the International reps again tomorrow and see if I get any different story about this.

11. RJNJC

RJNJC New Member

I received an email from ATT Unlock Code department. They were pretty quick. Came through much sooner than expected.

Here is the email I got for other forum users' reference:

Dear Valued Customer,

Your request for the device unlock code for your handset is approved.

Unlock Code & Instructions

IMEI: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Make: MotorolaModel: Q9
    Unlock Code: xxxxxxxxx

Note: You only have five (5) tries to unlock the phone.
    Do not attempt to enter the code more than five (5) times total.
    If this process is unsuccessful five times in a row, the phone will be permanently locked to the AT&T network.

Motorola Step Action
    1 Insert non-AT&T SIM card
    2 Power on the handset - wait a few moments allowing your phone to fully power up - then you will be prompted to enter the unlock code
    3 Enter unlock code
    4 Press OK - the handset is then successfully unlocked Please call our Technical Support department at 1-877-834-3318 if you need any assistance with unlocking your device. This email box is unmonitored; please do not respond to this message.

Note: In order for ATT to accept and file a request for the unlock code, the 'international feature' has to be activated on the relevant phone. This is a free activation and service. It just lets you call international and call from abroad using the ATT sim card.

Hope this helps others in similar situation as I am.

12. jaycsin

jaycsin New Member

Getting unlock code over phone from AT&T

Did this today, May 12, 2008....

To get my unlock code, I called them and told them I will be traveling a lot in the coming months (which is true) and wanted to use my phone in England, Greece, UAE, and Japan (also true). She checked to see if I had my account long enough (2.5 years) and how my I paid for phone (half price with 2 YSC). Then gave me my 8 digit code right over the phone.

I then asked about the international option and she transfered me to the Fraud Detection Department. They asked me about 30 questions about my account and my info. When he was satisfied, he set me up the the no cost international plan, which I think is like $1.37 a minute or something like that. I don't plan on using it, I will be using prepaid sims, but wanted it just in case.

Concerning RJNJC said about requiring you get the "international feature" in order to get the unlock code was not true in my case. I had to ask a few questions and request it before it even came up and that's when I got transfered to Fraud Detection. I just upgraded to the Q and had my number changed (had a florida # and got a Nebraska #), so I had to get an exception in order to get the "international feature". It was almost a hassle in order for them to add it for me.

This seems to be a lot different that other peoples accounts of what happened to them. Wonder what changed....
  13. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Wonder why they sent you to fraud protection? I didn't have to go through that process.

Concerning the part where it takes a week or so to get your code:
    Apparently Business Care and Customer Care are 2 different entities. When I contacted CC asking for the code, they told me just that: 7-10 days. But then they saw I had a business account. They then transfered me to BC. They were able to give me the unlock code over the phone. I had to get International Option before doing so. I asked why it takes CC a week to get the code. They explained that they (CC) had to right up a request. I guess BC is the higher entity. Don't know why that is. Just FYI.
  14. mexiken

mexiken New Member

You were transferred to Fraud because you asked for an unlock code, and then an option to make long distance calls. If someone stole your phone, they could now make long distance calls on your line until you cancelled the line, and THEN they could simply put in the unlock code, and take your phone to TMobile, or another carrier. Obviously, AT&T is trying to protect you and verify that its actually YOU calling.
  15. jaycsin

jaycsin New Member

I dont have a business account....

I don't have a business account, I'm in the Air Force so that's why I travel so much. I called the customer care line (611) and was not transferred until I went to Fraud Protection. So customer care was able to give me the unlock code instantly. ......go figure
  16. mexiken

mexiken New Member

You probably have a military FAN associated with your acount, which means you get a discount. If thats the case, then anytime you call 611, you get routed to Business Care.
  17. Hines57

Hines57 New Member

I have heard/read of others stating it does not allow messaging/email after unlocking.
  18. RJNJC

RJNJC New Member

I can be considered living proof:

No features are disabled or found not working. I used the phone in India. Since, am back in the US and the phone's features work fine. No disruption in messaging or email at all.

19. DUTCH

DUTCH New Member

I purchased my 9h from ATT last week. While calling CC about another issue, I asked the rep about unlocking it. She looked at my record and was amazed that I've had the same phone number and account with them (BellSouth->Cingular->ATT) since 1991. She gave me the unlock code right over the phone.

Worked just fine, but you must have a non-subsidy SIM card to do the job. No loss of email or any other capability that I can see.
  20. joekill162

joekill162 New Member

anyone know why att want people to wait 90 days+ to unlock you phone if you own your phone and pay att monthly you should get the unlock code not wait 90 days, i just bought a 9h global phone and i dont know if its unlock i put another att sim card in it and it works but if its lock i will do anything to unlock it when i get my phone usb cable i herd it will unlock it very easy.