Unlimited data plans slowly arriving in Canada

Discussion in 'International' started by areviakiQ, Feb 1, 2008.

1. areviakiQ

areviakiQ New Member

Unlimited data plans slowly arriving in Canada

Started in December 2007.

Best deal so far....Telus. on all smartphones you can get $15/month unlimited email/IM/browsing. Only need to have a talk plan of $30.00 or more and a three year contract to take advantage of it.

Won't find any details about the unlimited browsing portion but if you call a CSR they will confirm it.

Bell only offers unlimited browsing for $7.00 but not on all smartphones. Closest they get to a smartphone is the HTC Touch. I think Bell will come around to providing it for all there phones eventually. Right now on a smartphone you pay big bucks for very little usage (4mb/$10, 12mb/30 and 30mb for $60) per month. How long do you think it takes to meet the 4mb limit? Not very much.

I bought an HTC5800 from Bell and was originally signed up with the $7/month deal. My first bill came and I was charged $15.00/mb for 2 mb of usage. I was lucky my first billing cycle was only 3 days long or I could have had a whooping large bill. I called and apparently the HTC5800 wasn't eligible for the unlimted plan. GOODBYE BELL! :thumbdown Man am I thankful I bought out the phone upfront, I would have been pissed if I would have been stuck with a 3 year contract. (anyone want to buy an HTC 5800 :wink:

I heard about the Telus plan and grabbed a free Moto Q with a 3 year plan and unlimited email/IM /browsing for $15 a month plus a $ myfaves30 talk plan.

So far I have to say I love the Moto Q.

Can someone confirm this....to send an SMS text message to a "normal" cell phone using email I would enter "phonenumber@msg.telus.com" as the email address? Ad they could reply and I would receive it in my email app?

I don't want to have to get the text message bundle if I can avoid it, but still need to text people with regular cell phones.
  2. areviakiQ

areviakiQ New Member

This deal is not on Telus's website. It appears Telus is not openly adverstising this. If you talk to a CSR they will confirm it exists. Last I heard, it was being extended past Feb 3rd. This is just speculation, you need to confirm this with a Telus CSR to make sure. When I swapped my phones I got the CSR to re-confirm that this was indedd for browsing as well as email and IM AND that it was for the term of my contract (3 years).
  3. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

wow first electricity now cell service :)

if you send something from your email to their #@carrier you should get the reply as an email
  4. Prolab

Prolab New Member

Even fido has unlimited surfing. Stupid me i didnt read it thoroughly and now your gonna get charge for date you u/d (ie sending email) if your in the unlimited surfing package.

They dont offer the value pack with 12 mb of data plan. I miss that plan.

Too bad Rogers is the only GSM provider up north. Which sucks donkey balls.
  5. lovesick101

lovesick101 New Member

weird i just called Telus and asked them about this plan and they told me that it was a Christmas/Boxing day promotion, BUT I changed my plan from Talk and Email 50 to this new non-existent Unlimited Email/IM/Web/Applications(facebook, MySpace) as an add-on for $30 bucks...so I just changed my plan to Talk to me 30 + the $30 Unlimited Email/IM/Web/Applications(facebook, MySpace) + the other add ons I had before (text, unlimited nights and weekends starting at 6, call waiting, caller id, voice mail) = Me saving more! :D
  6. Matteo86

Matteo86 New Member

Don't talk to the data department, call a CSR!
    I was outraged in January when I heard of the $15 unlimited (which includes web).

It took about 3 attempts but now i have my Q on the plan. Did 129mb last month and no charge over...

Push them around...even Fido offers like 15$ on all WM phone saw the ad the other day.

Regards,

Matteo
  7. PilotGav

PilotGav New Member

The plan is official now.

$30.00 for unlimited data, EXCEPT for tethering to your laptop.

Welcome to the 21st Century canada.

8. piranah

piranah New Member

free healthcare more than makes up for data costs :laugh2: