UNCONFIRMED Firmware update from Verizon

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by jmorisey, Feb 8, 2008.

1. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

UNCONFIRMED Firmware update from Verizon

First, I didn't know if this should have been here or in the Software forum, so if I made more work for the MODS, sorry RB and Hockey...

Second, this is UNCONFIRMED since I have not been in a position to try it...

While talking to Verizon Wireless support today about all these damn reboots I keep getting, a VERY HELPFULL and POLITE tech support lady told me that my phone was not up to date. Now I have recently tried updating it like 2 or 3 weeks ago and it told my I had the most current...

She told be that a new one came out 1-28-2008.... so, when I get home tonight, I am going to give it a shot...

If anyone else wants to take a stab at it, here is the direct link to d/l page at Motorola.

http://direct.motorola.com/hellomot...rizon&strPhone=Q&strCable=Mini USB Data Cable

Thanks,
    Jon
  2. lexluthor

lexluthor New Member

Interesting. I downloaded the file and unzipped it.

Inside is an install.exe dated 1/11/08 and Motorola_Software_Update_01.05.12_Stand_Alone.msi dated 1/15/08, so I guess this very well could be something new.

What's the 01.05.12 reference? Does that compare to some version we can check on our phone?

Come on, someone give this a shot ;)
  3. lexluthor

lexluthor New Member

Ok. Well, it's definitely something new. At least to me.

I'm an obsessive updater, so I couldn't help myself.

Well, first thing, it is NOT WM6, that's disapointing right off the bat.

Software version: Q2-BP_C_06.0B.13P, MP_BSP_C_02.07.55-30P_HW_P2.1

The only difference from my last version was that was 06.0B.11P.

I did have to run a *228,1 after in order for calls to complete.

Ok, well, I did Sprite backup everything, but last time I restored that way and probably restored a lot of stuff from the registry that shouldn't have been. I think I'm just going to reinstall everything this time.

Be back later!
  4. crashdau

crashdau Member

Was this update for the Q1, Q9M, Q9C, Q9H? I didn't see any indication in this thread.

Posted on Q9Mm
  5. crashdau

crashdau Member

My bad. Just saw the forum it was in after my previous post. Please resume discussion. Thank you.

Posted on Q9M
  6. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

not feeling up to updating (i have strap throat) and this is in the correct forum unless Scott or Chris think it should be in the Verizon forum.

potQ.
  7. lexluthor

lexluthor New Member

Well, I don't really see anything new or different at all. Maybe some improvements under the hood, I don't know.

It was relatively painless though and I pretty much got everything re-installed back to the way it was.

Wouldn't mind seeing some sort of changelog.
  8. lexluthor

lexluthor New Member

Anyone else going to give this update a shot?

It's definitely a new release.

Back last time there was an update it was big news, I guess a lot of people have moved on from their Q by now.
  9. firecracker37

firecracker37 New Member

I will probably be doing the update dance soon enough. Hopefuly, if nothing else, it just fixes some of the WM5 bugs that plague us all every day lol. One less soft reset a week would make it worth updating IMHO.

Now I wish I wouldn't have forgotten my USB cable at home :(
  10. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

I still haven't had time to do this, I will be getting to it tonight though...
    I just hope it fixes all these damn reboots...
    a change log would be great as well...

Jon
    (potQ)
  11. sulster

sulster Active Member

I got a new replacement Q last week and did an update b/c it was on MOL1. So, I "accidentally' did this update. Haven't noticed anything new/improved. I do seem to be having less resets, but then again I've got a new phone that I reinstalled all my apps on from scratch, so I can't say that the update is what is causing that.
  12. scf

scf New Member

I'm noticing fewer resets, and better "recognition" of battery strength. Had some problems with the Q not seeing what the battery level REALLY was. I'd charge it, and it'd say "low battery". Turn it off, take the battery out, wait, put the battery back in, turn it on, all is well. Haven't had to do that in a bit myself.
  13. JustPureChaos

JustPureChaos New Member

Yea I did that update last night. It said I was roaming and had no service in the morning. I updated my roaming. And now I'm connected to the VZW network, but my phone number has changed to "0000008315". And I can't so anything I need to fix this ASAP.
  14. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

I would do the *86 and options 1 and 2... maybe even try rreinstalling the update....

Jon
  15. JustPureChaos

JustPureChaos New Member

ok through a mix of your advice and some Mad scientist ish. i fixed it
  16. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

posting a question once is enough..
  17. JustPureChaos

JustPureChaos New Member

I agree I'm a mod on a few other forums. But even I panic when my phone number changes randomly.
  18. scf

scf New Member

Thinking back, I had to get a hold of Verizon to have them help me get the phone back up and running. They gave me a whole string of numbers to put in for an "a key" for authentication. That put my number back in place, and fixed things up.
  19. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

Confirmed Update!!!

OK, I am pleased to say that this IS A NEW UPDATE and I have seen a noticeable change in my Q. Before, my Q would randomly reboot CONSTANTLY by istself, and at times, when I pushed big WebPages or heavy programs it would reboot.

I can say that I have pushed my Q to the limit and probably beyond, and have yet seen a reboot... I couldn't get this thing to reboot if I tried.

I have seen nothing but good... more stability and better memory handling (as far as I can tell for right now)

This is a MUST update if your Q always reboots on you...

Jon
  20. twelvetreeez

twelvetreeez New Member

Just noticed

First of, it's "Strep" throat, as in Streptobacillus moniloformis. I also couldn't help notice that Scott made the jump to the Q9m, why ya slackin homey? :tounge: