Unable to view new home screen

Discussion in 'Q Home Screens and Wallpapers' started by rmunson, Sep 22, 2007.

1. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

no not the comments but the <!-- --> inside the code
    specificly the calendar one...

do you have a copy of the original screen?

maybe you can try it again one step at a time
    do one change load it and see if it works than another...
  2. rmunson

rmunson New Member

those are the comments (ie. <!-- -->). I could do one step at a time, but that is truly what i am doing right now. I copied the original, changed the title, and uploaded....and nothing.
  3. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

ok, here is what i did for you...

1. downloaded the jennifer.txt as jennifer.home.xml
    2. edited the .xml to put in a background i actually have
    3. selected it in the home screen list, see here:

[​IMG]

pressed done and done again, went back to the home screen and saw this:

[​IMG]

what else can i do.... it works.
  4. rmunson

rmunson New Member

yeah....other than changing the background, that is what I did as well, so either I am uploading it incorrectly on the phone or there is an issue with my phone. To upload, it should just be as simple as clicking Explore in the ActiveSync app once it is connected and paste the new file to the \Application Data\Home folder, right?
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

yep, copy it to \Application Data\Home and you should be good to go, that is all i did to get working..
  6. n99hockey

so if RB just changed the background image name it is very possible that you type the file name incorrectly

test it out with another image file in that same folder
    if it works then it was the image name and then just double check your image name and retype it in
    its case sensitive (i believe) so that might matter
  7. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

yes, pretty sure it is case sensitive....
  8. rmunson

rmunson New Member

I'll definitely give that a try, but again, the image i used was from the original file that works fine. So the image is correct. I don't have the phone with me right now to try that, but can tonight.
  9. n99hockey

im sure the image itself is just fine
    but how you typed it in on the homescreen may not be
    just something else to check out and possibly rule out
  10. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

I had this prob this weekend. I changed the .xml name to something different, messed with the .xml, pasted back and never saw it listed...until I changed the "title" within the .xml also. Then it popped up.
  11. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

should not be required.... but if it worked for you, great..
  12. rmunson

rmunson New Member

Ok. I was able to get my custom home screen to display in the list. However, the main reason I wanted to make this change was so that I could replace the ActiveSync email link/count with my IMAP email account. So here is what i have changed. In the message count plugin in my custom home screen xml, I changed the unreadMsgs name attribute from "ActiveSync" to "2Js". Then I searched all other files in the home folder for "ActiveSync" and replaced them with "2Js" as well. This change was in both the full.home.xml and nomru.home.xml files and was the msgcount2 plugin. On my new home screen the link displays as 2Js, but when i select it it does not open my IMAP email account and doesn't do anything. I have verified that my IMAP account name is 2Js. What am I doing wrong?

<pluginclsid="{62E5C279-1E55-4bbb-95DA-D576093C23BE}"name="MessageCount"height="20">
    <background>
    <formatstate="selected"bgcolor="COLOR_HOMEHIGHLIGHT"/>
    </background>
    <label>
    <textlang="0x0409">2Js <unreadMsgsname="2Js" /></text>
    <textlang="0x0C0A">2Js <unreadMsgsname="2Js" /></text>
    </label>
    <label>
    <textlang="0x0409">SMS <unreadMsgsname="SMS" /></text>
    <textlang="0x0C0A">SMS <unreadMsgsname="SMS" /></text>
    </label>
    <label>
    <textlang="0x0409">MMS <unreadMsgsname="MMS" /></text>
    <textlang="0x0C0A">MMS <unreadMsgsname="MMS" /></text>
    </label>
    <label>
    <textlang="0x0409">VMail <unreadVMailname="VMail" /></text>
    <textlang="0x0407">VMail <unreadVMailhidezero="true"/></text>
    </label>
    <translaterockerkeys/>
    </plugin>

13. bjsmith

bjsmith New Member

Same Problem, can't click on email

I have the exact same problem as RMunson . . . I successfully edited the [vzw].home.xml file, replaced "ActiveSync" with "Gmail", which corresponds to the email account that I want to view on my home screen. It correctly displays the message count, but I am unable to click on it to bring me into my mail box. The other message services are fine (SMS, MMS, vmail).

I'm using the messagecount plugin that was included in the original VZW Layout.

Anyone know of a reason why this would be happening?

<plugin clsid="{62E5C279-1E55-4bbb-95DA-D576093C23BE}" name="MessageCount" height="20">
    <background>
    <format state="selected" bgcolor="COLOR_HOMEHIGHLIGHT"/>
    </background>
    <label>
    <text lang="0x0409">Gmail<unreadMsgs name="Gmail" /></text>
    </label>
    <label>
    <text lang="0x0409">SMS <unreadMsgs name="SMS" /></text>
    </label>
    <label>
    <text lang="0x0409">MMS <unreadMsgs name="MMS" /></text>
    </label>
    <label>
    <text lang="0x0409">Voicemail <unreadVMail hidezero="true"/></text>
    </label>
    </plugin>
  14. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

I use this plug-in...not sure what the difference is now. Mine's selectable though.

plugin file="sysplug.dll" clsid="{2F930BF0-6FE9-4a53-9E17-88E9247BAB48}

maybe the .dll part
  15. bjsmith

bjsmith New Member

sysplug.dll

TreeFrog - it looks like I don't have a file called sysplug.dll on my phone. I have the Moto Q 9m, what do you have? Anyone know of another plugin I could try? Or if I could get a copy of sysplug.dll and load it and have it work? Thanks!
  16. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i think thats the Orange plugin, Scott has it on his apps page. not sure if it works on a Q9.. let us know.
  17. bjsmith

bjsmith New Member

Orange

OK, I grabbed the .cab, moved it to my Q 9m and installed. I got a message saying that it may not "display properly" on my phone because it was written for an earlier version of Windows, but I did get the message stating that it installed successfully.

Does the .cab file also register the dll, or do I need to do something further to register it? Is there a place to find the possibilities of what I can do with this dll? For instance, with my scenario above, can I just replace sysplug.dll with the name of the orange dll?

Thanks, BJS
  18. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

yea, it said the same thing on my Q... no biggie.

the .cab registers the dll, and sysplug.dll is the Orange plugin so no.. you should not have to change it.

oh... at this point we/i know that Orange can be used to put 2 plugin next to each other on the home screen, and it also allows you to move the clock to the icon-bar... i never found a decent help document for Orange..
  19. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

Now I'm confused! I didnt think that sysplug was part of orange. Pretty sure I used that line of code before I had orange. Also that plugin is referenced in that MS xml how-to. I'll check more when I get to my PC....
  20. bjsmith

bjsmith New Member

Shifted Gears

The sysplug thing that TreeFrog posted doesn't seem to have anything to do with orange . . . I get the same results. I, did however, spend some time working with orange and got a few other things to work that I'm excited about, like moving the time into the icon bar and putting the date and messages on the same line.

As for the messages, for now I'm opting to use smscount, which gets me into the messages home screen and allows me to quickly get into the home page of the messaging app. And I can use my "1" speed dial to get into VMail. The only thing is that I'd like to separate MMS from Gmail, but I can't see a way to do that because <unreadEmail name="Gmail" /> doesn't work, and neither does <unreadMMS />.

Perfect world, I'd have counts for Gmail, MMS, SMS, and VMail . . . and be able to click on each one to get directly into the corresponding app, but this is a good interim solution.