Ubuntu On The Q?

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by kev3124, Jul 21, 2008.

1. kev3124

kev3124 New Member

Ubuntu On The Q?

I run Ubuntu 8.04 (hardy) on my laptop and I love it. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is an Ubuntu distribution out there to replace the Windows Mobile OS thats currently on the Q.
  2. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

haven't seen anything.
  3. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

aaaaand welcome aboard.
  4. thefourthdoctor

thefourthdoctor New Member

I don't think that's ever gonna happen, a desktop OS would not run well on a mobile phone...think of it this way, would you want to run MS XP or Vista on your Q?

BTW I am also running 8.04 on my Sony TR.
  5. kev3124

kev3124 New Member

Doctor, you're right. Call it wishful thinking. Thought that with all the hacks and software out there, there may have been a distribution made for phones running windows mobile. Ubuntu is so much better than windows though.
  6. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Given the existing kernles it is unlikely that one could be adapted for the Q but given the introduction of Win7 (both desktop and mobile) the platform is being merged, sort of like 2000 merged Official NT and Regular Windows into 5.0. Supposedly it will have the ability to run as minimally as the system can handle on as little as a phone's resource capacity but as bloated and "pretty" and full size giant as current Vista Ultimate if the machine resources permit. This will mean that you can run a full force OS without its looks that will bloat it and have it run on practically nothing, something that would never happen with XP or Vista, even XP Embedded which was pretty sweet, couldn't do it.
  7. backdown00

backdown00 New Member

iphone with mac OSX anybody? :laugh2:
  8. thefourthdoctor

thefourthdoctor New Member