Turning off the Camera Click sound

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by dak2climber, Jun 19, 2006.

1. dak2climber

dak2climber New Member

Turning off the Camera Click sound

Just bought my Q. Switched from a Treo and still trying to figure out whats cool and what is not.
    Questions: 1. Is there a way to turn off that fake click sound on the Camera or atleast turn the volume down.
    2. Is there a shortcut to go to video other than pulling it down from the menu?
  2. amartins02

amartins02 New Member

Use a registry editor and navigate to \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Pictures\Camera\OEM\ForceShutterSound change the value from 1 to 0
  3. ckest13

ckest13 New Member

how do you get to the reg. editor?
  4. dak2climber

dak2climber New Member

Can someone direct me as to how to get to this registry editor. Thanks
  5. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

6. Vectex

Vectex New Member

Re:

I downloaded the registry editor but when I click OK to accept the changes a message pops up saying Access Denied. What am I doing wrong?
  7. clangschultz

clangschultz New Member

lol just curious but are you taking pictures of girls butts on the street or something and you dont want them knowing
  8. TAG1976

TAG1976 New Member

You can't catch your friends doin stupid sh** when the camera is as noisy as it is....
  9. EdL

EdL New Member

Shutter sound

I get access denied as well :wacko:
  10. DestinationQ

DestinationQ New Member

I haven't found away to work around the access denied yet but if I do i'll be sure to post here but if somebody else could figure this out that would be f'n awesome cause that would open a whole new world for hacking the Q, i bet we could even unlock some of those nice features verizon locked off :)
  11. djad23

djad23 New Member

Could you please let me know if I am doing something wrong. I downloaded the registry editor from the website and I unzip and it wont let me open the program. Help please
  12. bpatt

bpatt New Member

I sent AMARTINS02 a private message asking him if he had any ideas on getting this to work...
  13. amartins02

amartins02 New Member

For those of you locked out of the registry, are you on Telus in Canada? You should be able to modify the registry on the Verizon network.
  14. EdL

EdL New Member

Shutter Sound

I tried the Resco Explorer with Reg editor and yes I was able to change the value from 1 to 0 but the sound is still there and there was an extra whistle sound too. I restarted the Q and it was still there. I put it back to 1 and restarted and I'm back to normal Pheww! Huh?
  15. hnsimpson

hnsimpson New Member

I found a different solution online:
    Go to:
    \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Pictures\Camera\OEM\SoundFile

Change the string/value:
    \windows\shuttersound_02_secs.wav

to say:
    \windows\*none*

Please note that it should have the asterisks around 'none'

-Simpson
  16. aspetseris

aspetseris New Member

Motorola Q registry access

Downloaded Resco explorer and registry editor and changed as described. Did not like the complete silence so I used a different sound file 440hz.wav.
  17. Matt bWilson

Matt bWilson New Member

I erased some of the values in my camera settings. If someone has a minute and could email me or just post these i would appreciate it. basically would to see evertything after pictures/camera/oem.

All i have is
    (default) String
    ShutterSound
  18. Ugly Joe

Ugly Joe New Member

Nothing to do with the registry, but this seems to have severed the "click" when taking a pic (at least, so far...)

I simply moved the file.

Went into File Manager > Windows...
    Located shuttersound_02_secs.wav

Clicked Menu > File > Move To

and chose my storage card (didn't want to lose the file).
    (I was going to add a "1" to the beginning of the filename, but as this is a ROM file, I wasn't able to change the name whatsoever...so I moved it).

So far, my Q doesn't seem inclined to go find the new path to the file.

I'll let you guys know if this causes any glitches...I figure the fix will be just to reverse the operation (I REALLY hope...I'm in it deep if it isn't).

Edited to add: Nope! I'm a dork...this is not a complete solution - the file is replaced upon re-boot (I gave it a complete power off, battery pull, re-boot to test this out...it came back).
  19. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Better Method

This topic hasn't been updated in a while, but I thought I'd share this. I discovered a better (and simpler) hack to get rid of the Camera shutter sound. See my post in the Hacks thread.

UPDATE: My post got deleted when Rude cleaned the thread out. :angry:

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Pictures\Camera\OEM and change the ShutterSoundVolume from 32768 to 0 and reset the Q. That will eliminate the sound without having to remember an odd name (and recovering the sound is easier, too). That's what makes it simpler.

It's better because you can also keep the shutter sound, but not have it be so annoyingly loud, by using a value of 16384 instead.

DISCLAIMER: This value is on my Verizon Q after the MOL 1 software update. I don't know if it's on pre-update Qs or not. If it's not, try creating it.

NOTE: I also tried an even simpler fix, changing the ForceShutterSound value from 1 to 0, but that didn't work.

Steve