Trouble with TomTom - Workaround Data Entry

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by fire00, Jul 29, 2007.

1. fire00

fire00 New Member

Trouble with TomTom - Workaround Data Entry

TomTom 6 installed on Moto q9h. App runs fine you cannot use all of the stuff of it but the most important navigation works. With another WM Smartphones like HTC Excalibur I was always able to enter addresses using the keyboard. It wasn't piece of cake because those keys which are mapped twice - letters and numbers - were recognized as numbers. So I used to use only the alphanumeric keys like on standard stupid phones.

But on q9h this doesn't work! Keys like D-F-G or X-C-V which are numbers at the same time are recognized as numbers only so I am not able to enter all that letters which are on the alphanumeric part of the keyboard.

The workaround would be to use the fakecursor which would work. In order to use it you need to assign the app to a HW-key so I tried to use AEbutton application. And I get suck with that. Because you can assign apps only to keys like the green or red key or left/right hardkey. The problem is that after you assigned a key with a second function (fakecursor) you cannot use that key for its default function anymore.

Does anyone have another idea how to work with TomTom?
  2. change

change New Member

with Tom Tom 6 I was having the same problem and all i found was that if I entered the address into contacts i could get it to recognise the addrss from the contact. Not a perfect answer but a working one.
  3. fire00

fire00 New Member

I've got a solution. I was playing with fakecursor which emulates the mouse movements on smartphone devices. You need something to activate it while running TomTom and this is the difficult part. I tried an app called ABbutton or so which would work but there are some issues which make it impossible to use that.
    What I found now is an easy one - xBar which is an old known task switcher with integrated shortcut launcher. Using xBar I'm able to get rid of this. I can start TomTom and when I need the fakecursor e.g. for entering addresses, I use xBar to switch on fakecursor. Pressing the Home-Button brings up the switch off/profile menu which you can cancel and doing this also fakecursor gets closed when needed.
  4. change

change New Member

I can't get fakecursor working it says I need to use a windows key which the only similr key i have is the internet launcher shortcut.
  5. fire00

fire00 New Member

you don't need to assign any key to fakecursor. Just install and let it be. Then you install xBar and set a shortcut to fakecursor this is really very ease, just have a look at the file/directory structure of xBar. In TomTom, hold on the central d-pad key and xBar shows up. Go down to the shortcut menu and activate fakecursor. thats it.
  6. jonsdad

jonsdad New Member

How are you moving the cursor?

I can't get the cursor to move.

Which version of fakecursor are you running?
  7. slilley

slilley New Member

fakecursor

I would love to figure out how to install fakecursor as well. i've got tomtom working in it's limited state and would love to get the added benefit of fakecursor...when the fakecursor install window comes up, after i say yes to the 'sure to install?', i get the settings window but can only see half of it. how do i navigate through this window to complete the installation?

Thanks in advance
  8. Jerdizzle

Jerdizzle New Member

Yep...I have the EXACT same problem.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

If someone could help with this it would be greatly appreciated.
  9. webcrush

webcrush New Member

I have TomTom6 running on my Q fine, and frankly, not impressed. While it does offer traffic reports (which are always wrong and never helpful) and lil things like custom voices and such, the UI, maps, and navigation are pale in comparison to Route66.

TomTom does have a smaller memory footprint, which is nice, but you can't make calls to POI's, notifications aren't given as early as you'd like, etc.

I'm still evaluating, but I hope a newer release has big improvements.

fwiw, I use FakeCursor, but only need it for very minor things, like selections from a list. I created a shortcut to the app and named it the same as the link for the voice activation shortcut, making that button activate fakecursor.exe
  10. Jerdizzle

Jerdizzle New Member

I have THIS same problem...I'm not sure why, any help here?
  11. webcrush

webcrush New Member

You shouldn't need to 'install' FakeCursor, just place it in a directory you want and create a shortcut for it. I've attached a zip of the exe I use.

Also, here are the instructions I used to install it:

Attached Files:

12. Jerdizzle

Jerdizzle New Member

Thanks webcrush. I'll give this a try right now.
  13. Jerdizzle

Jerdizzle New Member

Well, I got the fakecursor program working now...However I can't seem to find out how to "map a hardware key to \Program Files\Fakecursor\Fakecursor.exe."

I'm assuming this means to create a hotkey on your phone to activate fakecursor....How do I do this can anybody tell me? I'm working on the motorola q9m. Thanks. :)
  14. webcrush

webcrush New Member

Open file explorer, go to where the fakecursor.exe is, select it, and then have it 'create shortcut'.

Place the shortcut in the /windows/startmenu directory, over-write the 'voice recognition.lnk' which will not make the voice activation button fire up fakecursor
  15. emathews

emathews New Member

TomTom 6 on q9

I cannot get the software to install, has anyone gotten TomTom 6 to install without errors, or does anyone have a workaround for installation?

Thank You
  16. imagoodguy

imagoodguy New Member

RE: launching fake cursor

1.create the following directory /programfiles/fakecursor,
    2.place a copy of fakecursor.exe into directory.
    3.open file explorer create a shortcut for Fakecursor.exe and place in start menu.
    4. launch voice command and select settings/application launch
    5. select fake cursor from list and exit.

thats it... once tomtom is running just hit voice command button, wait for beep, and say "open fakecursor

17. cucchiarellid

cucchiarellid New Member

HI friends.
    I have installed TTN 6.200 on my Moto Q9H global and I'm using its built in GPS receiver without fakecursor. You can choose the menu with the number keys " 1,2,3,4,5,6".
    About the problems of the key " E,R,T,D,F,G,Z,X,C,V,B,0 " you can resolve if you put hold the key between "calendar key" and "0+" in the corner left down of the keyboard until the beep. "Fn" works like a backspace.

Regards
    Daniele
  18. indie-guy

indie-guy New Member

I got the program up and running using fake Cursor, and your tip about how to key in letters rather than numbers works. However, I cannot get the program to select items by number as you suggest. And selecting an item without fake cursor seems impossible. Also, if I manage to get GPS running on Com3, it locks out any other program from using it. If I reboot and use another program that uses the intermediate driver, I have to re-do all the settings in Tomtom. All in all, it's a royal pain. Let's hope they issue an update, because I used to love Tomtom on my Treo.
  19. fire00

fire00 New Member

Daniele - YOU ARE JUST GREAT !!!!!!
    this is one of the greatest and most important posts I ever got since I'm with WM :) Enjoy! Greetings from Prague
  20. indie-guy

indie-guy New Member

I guess 6.200 is necessary. Does anyone know where it can be had? I'vegot 6.03 installed.