Transfer contacts

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by derrickwhitt, Feb 29, 2008.

1. derrickwhitt

derrickwhitt New Member

Transfer contacts

Hello all! I just ordered the Q9m for free :laugh2: and will be getting it early next week. I currently have a VX9800 and using backup assistant to backup my contacts. What is the easiest way I can transfer my contacts over to my new phone. Thanks for the help!
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

try bluetooth
    or get verizon to do it
  3. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

4. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

I don't suppose your old phone syncs with Outlook (my guess is no). Maybe the Verizon folks in store could transfer them for you if there is not some easier way for you to do it on your own.
  5. poseidon7902

poseidon7902 New Member

I went into the verizon store to get my Q9m to replace my 9800. They tried to transfer my contacts over, but no dice. Said it wasn't possible after trying for 15 minutes.
  6. Verizon can't do it. At least when they tried to do it from my treo to my q9m.
    Easiest way?
    Use Bitpim to get the contacts off of the original phone if you have a usb cable for it. If not, bluetooth 'em over, one at a time.
  7. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Oh yeah . . . forgot about BitPim (and that's after having recently used it to get pictures off of my wife's LG Chocolate and ringtones on). To the OP, if you go this route, there are lots of deals on cables on eBay, if you don't already have the right one. BitPim itself is free.
  8. derrickwhitt

derrickwhitt New Member

I've got BitPim and I will see if I can export them somehow and maybe import them as a txt file or csv. Bluetoothing one at a time will be the last option, would you want to BT over 100 contacts one at a time?..lol
  9. derrickwhitt

derrickwhitt New Member

I used BitPim and exported the phonebook to a .csv file. Now, I am playing with the field mapping.
  10. derrickwhitt

derrickwhitt New Member

I got the field mappings correct. They are all correctly imported into Outlook. I think it may work. Thanks for the ideas!
  11. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Nice work . . . perhaps you could post the field mappings you ultimately used in case someone else has this same issue.

12. Good point....when all else fails BitPim to the rescue..
    Amazing how freeware is needed to make our lives easier with software.
  13. derrickwhitt

derrickwhitt New Member

Steps I used to transfer my contacts from BitPim to Outlook
    1. Plug up phone and start BitPim and setup your phone up
    2. Press Get Phone Data. Add Phonebook.
    3. In BitPim, File>Export>CSV Contacts
    4. Save Contacts
    5. Open Outlook, Then File>Import and Export
    6. Choose Import from another program or file
    7. Choose Comma Seperated Values (Windows)
    8. Look for the .csv file that you exported from BitPim. You choose your options
    9. Destination folder obviously is Contacts
    10. Check the box and then click Map Custom Fields
    11. From section is your .csv file and To section is your contact list. Expand the Name area
    12. Click and drag the names_full to the First Name on the To section
    13. Scroll to the Mobile Phone field on the To section and click and drag the FIRST numbers_number field to the Mobile Phone field to the right. If you have multiple phone numbers for an individual click and drag numbers_number field to the Other Phone field on the right. And do this for any other fields you may have, you match them up to the field on the right. Example: Email Address.
    14. If you mess up click Clear Map.
    15. Then click Ok and then Finish.

I hope I didn't leave out anything. These are the steps that I went. I hope it helps!
  14. DRinRichmond

DRinRichmond New Member

Getting BitPim to recognize MotoQ

Derrick,
    I have some of the same issues. Yet BitPim doesn't even find the port on my Moto Q so I can't transfer any data. Perhaps you can explain what the setup steps are to have it connect? A password window does pop-up in BitPim when I connect the USB cable and it seems to accept it. But that's the end of it. DR