Traded my Focus in for a Surround

Discussion in 'HTC Surround' started by ninjaap, Dec 11, 2010.

1. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I realize there are not too many Surround owners out there, but I hope to meet some here and to exchange trouble shooting ideas, if needed. Or at least make some new friends. We in the minority, so let's stick together like the peeps at the Focus forum. They have been very helpful to me and I hope to pass it forward to my fellow Surroundians. :D

My Surround should be in in a few days.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

Is it much different from the Focus?
    It shouldnt be, right? Thats the whole point of WP7 its all the same ish...or so I thought.
  3. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Software wise, not at all! Hardware, yes.
  4. n99hockey

Whats different on the software end? I thought it was all supposed to be running the same software, no fragmentation.
  5. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

No. No. I meant it's not different software wise. Featured hardwares are what differentiate the devices. Surround has better speakers and Focus has a better screen.
  6. n99hockey

Oh ok, I misunderstood, yea the Surround has that slide out speaker.
  7. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Yes. The speaker combined with a kickstand makes watching movies more enjoyeable.
  8. Rich Varenas

Rich Varenas Member

What made you trade in your Focus beside speakers?

-Rich

9. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

First of all I got a defective Focus. I believe the proximity sensor was messed up. Amazon offered to exhange it for another but it's backordered and they can't start shipping till Dec 21. They also gave the option at getting the Surround if I wanted, since it was in stock. So, I have to be honest, if I never had to exchange my Focus, I wouldn't have thought about getting a Surround. I still believe the Focus to be a very good phone.

That being said, the Surround just has a more solid feel to it. The Focus is lightweight and thin, and I felt like I was going to crack it in half, as I sat, while in my pant pocket. No I don't wear skinny jeans. In fact, men wearing skinny jeans should be outlawed in all 50 states. I was also afraid of dropping it, because the shiny black finish will no doubt show the scrapes and scracthes from any type of fall. I felt like I had to get some form of skin protection. I really don't like skins, because they usually make the phone look bulky and ugly.

The 16GB storage was another plus for me. The Focus only has 8GB. Yes I can install an SD card to expand capacity. No I don't want to do it and deal with the nightmare that many have gone through. I just want my phone to work like it should and get on with my life. 16GB is plenty for me, which is how much I have on my Zune HD.

The speaker is what HTC highlights as the Surround's featured hardware. But it's really at the bottom of my wants, right behind build and storage. I think if the Surround didn't have the speakers, I still would have purchased the phone. The speakers are just a bonus.
  10. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

I predict you will miss the awesome screen of the Focus pretty soon :p.
    Come back to the Dark Side.... we have cookies!
  11. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I think you should try stepping into the light instead... hehe ;)
  12. lee_bruice

lee_bruice New Member

Like the HTC Surrrond,especially the Operationg system.
  13. slantedandenchanted

slantedandenchanted New Member

i bought a surround less than a week ago. i dig it, though it tends to drain the battery pretty quickly. after reading all the reviews online, i was beginning to think i picked out the wrong phone (all reviews seem to prefer the focus). i do dig it though, don't plan on changing any time soon.
  14. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

You probably have to conditon the battery, like I did the Focus. It was pretty bad at first, but got better over time.
  15. slantedandenchanted

do i just run it down until it's dead, charge to full etc?

i haven't really owned many new phones...and this is my first new smartphone. i just upgraded from a blackberry bold, but that was used.
  16. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Yeah, I would run it down as far as you can, but not to the point that it dies on you. Then plug it in over night. Some say do that once a month. Others say do that every other month. I say just get on with your life and don't pay much attention to it after doing it once, because there will be more occassions when you will be running on fumes and can't get to a charger right away.
  17. slantedandenchanted

sweet, thanks. i did that last night actually, battery seems better today, but that's mainly due to me turning off certain features that i read was draining it (wi-fi on all the time, email push notifications etc)
  18. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Wifi is a killer, if you leave it on. It constantly scans for available networks.
  19. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I take back what I said about the speakers on this device. You're not going to get great sound when just talking to another person or listening to your typical mp3/mp4. Just like video quality depends on the source, same goes for sound. Playing xbox live games and watching netflix movies are where it shines. I can really tell the difference in sound experience when I pop up those speakers and hit that square button. The sounds become richer, fuller and louder, and just adds to greatest mobile entertainment experience. I am a very happy camper! :)
  20. meridian

meridian Member

I saw a surround for the first time in Best Buy the other day. From the reviews, I'd had the impression it was outrageously thick. It's thicker than my Mozart, that's for sure, but it's not that thick. I didn't get to try out the speakers, but over all, nice looking phone.