TP2 GPS capability

Discussion in 'US Cellular' started by oldguy, Nov 21, 2009.

1. oldguy

oldguy New Member

TP2 GPS capability

In checking out the TP2, I've had five different answers from USCC reps concerning the GPS capability.

When I asked if it was usable as a GPS for driving directions, I was told:

1. No. The GPS capability only shows where you are;

2. Sorta. It will show directions on the screen to get you from your location to wherever you want to go, but it does not update those directions as you travel;

3. It will function as an "assisted" GPS if you download Googlemaps or Bing;

4. Currently it just shows where you are, but USCc is "working on an app we hope to have available soon which will have turn-by-turn voice-assisted directions for only $9.99 a month";

5. There are apps out there that can be downloaded to make it a voice-assisted, turn-by-turn GPS, but the battery only lasts about 20 minutes when you use it this way.

Does anyone have one of these and the experience with it to answer what it is really capable of? No way in hall am I going to pay 10 bucks a month to use it as GPS for driving.
  2. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Active Member

Try Google Maps.
  3. oldguy

oldguy New Member

That will give me turn-by-turn?
  4. bberryhill0

Not voice. USCC doesn't allow Q9c's to use the GPS so no one knows yet. GM is free so give it a try and let us know what happens.
  5. oldguy

oldguy New Member

so the printout you would usually get with google maps would show up on screen? Does it keep up with you as you move? And this is on a TP2, not a Q.
  6. bberryhill0

Guessing you don't have a TP2 or you would have already installed GM. My advice is to run not walk to a different carrier and get a modern phone like the Droid.
  7. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

yes...of course it keeps up with you!
  8. oldguy

oldguy New Member

bberry--not interested in modern, just functional. We'll see how this Droid biz works out. Seen too many "newest/neatest/bestest" things flash and die... Anybody around here old enough to remember Quadraphonic sound?

We had planned on letting our contracts w/USCC run out and find something else, but their offer to pick up new phones for free (w/rebate) is pretty hard to pass up. USCC and ATT are the only two carriers that work in our house. Sprint/Verizon/Tmobile exhibit dead spots/dropped calls when walking around our house. And it's a small house. ATT pissed me off when we tried to add a line a few years ago. They were in the process of purchasing Cingular, and their least expensive "family plan" was about 30% higher than USCC and filled with bells and whistles we didn't need. Neither their company stores nor any agent I could find were interested in keeping our business after being with them for 5 years. So we fired them and went with USCC. Their service is good, but their local storefronts are a disgrace. Even McDonald's gives better service.

Treefrog--"of course" maybe to you, but some of us old farts don't have near the experience with this stuff that you apparently do. If I wanted an attitude, I'd talk to my teenagers...
  9. bberryhill0

Oh! Free is good. Poke around here a bit and you will see that people are using GPS on the TP2. I just haven't gotten to see it work on USCC because I'm on a Q9c.

Frog doesn't have an attitude. He was prolly surprised that I didn't remember seeing posts here saying how well GPS works. I do read every post so I should know.

FWIW I was born in 1958 and had an IMSAI 8080 and a BigBoard.
  10. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

for sure not giving attitude...just answering your question! i was just saying that it does follow you on the map! this time i will follow with a... =) ...just in case!

thanks berry! =)
  11. bberryhill0

The TP2 is no longer available from USCC in my area. Just the TP.
  12. oldguy

oldguy New Member

No problem, Frog--just one of those days dealing with the public at work--hadn't unwound yet and it hit me wrong . Still a bit of a stranger in a strange land on forums.

The TP2 is what USCC offers that fits what I want a phone to do. I'm just a bit leery of Chinese quality control. I've come across a lot of negative references to the HTC phones. I could probably get a crackberry to do what I want, but it should be easier on a Windows platform.

Went in to a USCC storefront today and played with both for a while. Too bad the staff doesn't know shite from shinola on these thing. I've learned more going through these forums than I learned from their reps.
  13. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

no worries....and yes you'll learn far more here than anywhere!
  14. oldguy

oldguy New Member

tomtom software for TP2?

It appears that tomtom software can be downloaded for the TP2? Anybody have any experience with this?