Top 10 Things I'd Do To Improve Windows Phone 7

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by chris, Jan 4, 2011.

1. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

It needs to be dead simple, allowing you to use any MP3 that's on your phone. This would ensure that either Mac or PC users could create custom ringtones for callers, SMS messages.
  2. ln1000000

ln1000000 New Member

I completely agree
  3. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Threaded email messaging please!!!
    chris likes this.
  4. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

My take...combination of fixes and wish list.

Calendar - Have appointments represented by colored icons in month view. The current text is too tiny. Even the small screen on my WinMo 6.1 phone showed appointments better.
    The default calendar double tile is bland and boring.

People hub - Facebook data needs to populate much more quickly. It's gotten to the point where I load the FB mobile page instead of going to the People hub which is supposed to be one of the main draws of the OS. I think this is an issue with MS' servers, but if the FB mobile page can launch and fully load in 5 seconds, then the People hub should fully load in about 8. Sometimes it takes me up to 25 seconds and that is unacceptable...especially with the whole 'glance and go' message that MS is pushing. Loading the comments is just as slow. The updated Seesmic app loads comments in a couple of seconds.
    The Recent section in the hub is kinda useless to me. It should be an area where responses to your FB posts are listed.

Photo hub - Same issue with the loading speed. It also affects when I view FB photo albums and I will swipe/view about 5 photos and the others are grey squares that are still loading. I would also like the ability to save photos that my friends post directly from the photo hub. (And the FB hub as well.). Integration with other photo upload sites. The ability to delete photos from the synced online folders right from the phone.

Me Hub - Add the ability to post to FB Places, Twitter and Foursquare.

Music/Video Hub - Higher quality background images. Integration with Last.Fm scrobbling.

Office - Better integration with Skydrive. Better OneNote implementation - When you swipe to Notebooks, all OneNote notebooks should start syncing.

IE - Performance boost, sometimes page loads take way too long. Ability to organize bookmarks.

Maps - Faster load time. Need more features. I wish I had Google Maps places where I could pin and save locations. Ability to 'fetch' contact addresses in maps. Transit information like I had in Google Maps on WinMo 6.1 where it showed the bus stops and scheduled arrive times for the next 1-2 hours.

If MS is going to give us custom ringtones, then I want custom tones for email, texts and alerts.

Overall UI speed increase. Either kill or speed up those transitions.

Better communications with developers as far as how to improve tombstoning of apps and using caching to increase resume times. Open multitasking to allow other music apps to play music in the background. In lieu of traditional multi-tasking we need fast task switching that can be launched wherever we are in the OS, even in 3rd party apps. Cycling thru via the back button is tedious and a time waster.
  5. ryant35

ryant35 Member

That's pretty much everything my Droid X does...
  6. ajayden

ajayden Member

My request is very simple : Add any feature but give us frequent OS updates. :)
  7. hasankamal

hasankamal New Member

I would only add direct synch with Outlook for contacts, calendars and tasks.
  8. Phyo Thu Aung

Phyo Thu Aung New Member

it seems microsoft did hit the snooze button... i'm gonna b returning my focus and going to wait until after MWC to decide which phone to get.. it seems everyone at msft took a vacation after WP7 release... c'mon do not disappoint us.
  9. Twonko

Twonko New Member

1. Flash support
    2. Tethering
    3. Better support from MS
    4. Make custom ringtones impossible forever (get a friend, go out, have a beer). (IMHO)
    5. Landscape address bar in browser
    6. Support for iCalendar
    7. Improved visuals in month view calendar (tiny writing isn't the best)
    Don't want to sound like I'm whining though. The phone is the business and I'm glad I got it. The biggest problem is that Microsoft don't seem to give a monkeys about their customers. If the update isn't ready, let's at least have some accurate info. It's called respect.