Top 10 Things I'd Do To Improve Windows Phone 7

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by chris, Jan 4, 2011.

1. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

10 Things To Improve Windows Phone 7

1. Speed. Windows Phone 7 is plenty fast within the confines of the OS. In-app speed needs to be faster. Currently, some apps perform better than others, but it’s still needs improvement. The overall UI is fast. We need apps that launch faster and offer better performance across the board. I’ll even trade some of those fancy transition graphics if we can achieve more speed.
    2. Landscape keyboard support in Internet Explorer. If you’re browsing in landscape mode, there is no way to bring up the browser bar. You have to go back into portrait mode and then you have access to the address bar.
    3. Tap To Top. If you find yourself at the bottom of a long Twitter feed or with email, there is no easy way to get back to the top. You can slide right and back left in email. Why not allow apps like Internet Explorer, email and third party apps to allow you to tap to return to the top of your list.
    4. Screenshot capability: Admittedly, this is a request from a blogger whose job would be made easier if he could take screenshots. iOS and webOS make this real easy. Android has the feature, but requires downloading the SDK and connecting your Android phone to your Mac/PC. Adding the ability to take quick screenshots would be a welcome feature.
    5. YouTube App. Microsoft did a good job getting key apps available for launch. Facebook, Twitter among those offering up solid efforts, but not so much with YouTube. The Marketplace download is just a redirect to m.youtube.com. It’s time they offered up a full blown app. On the iPhone and webOS, YouTube is an included app. Windows Phone 7 needs to include a capable YouTube app.
    6. Easier To Answer Calls: To answer calls on Windows Phone 7, you have to swipe up to unlock the screen and then select “answer”. For those counting at home, that’s two taps and one too many.
    7. microSD Mess: Microsoft has been clear about microSD support, but it appears the manufacturers didn’t heed the warning. The result being phones on the market that have an easily accessible microSD card slot. It’s natural that most will look to add memory to their phones. Microsoft expects to offer up information on compatible cards, but it’s still a bag of hurt. Cards that are not compatible become toast (unless you’ve got a Nokia lying around). This needs to be more consumer friendly. This likely means a change in how the OS manages data. Make it happen. Make it easy for us to add memory cards.
    8. Custom Ringtones: There is no way to add custom ringtones. People love ringtones. They don’t want to pay carriers for ringtones. They simply want to download them off the Internet and have an easy way to add them to their phone. The more you can customize ringtones for callers, text messages, the better.
    9. Homescreen Customization: Personalization is big on phones. The beauty of Windows Phone lies in its simplicity. Not everyone loves simplicity. What if you allowed a fully customizable multi-tile mosaic. Users could select the number of tiles to use, ability to select one or more photos that would rotate into the homescreen. Extending the capability of the current Pictures app might help bridge the gap between simplicity and customization.
    10. Internet Explorer: The current iteration is a nice first step, but there are still a number of oddities present. If particular, I’ve had some odd issues with javascript, problems that did not appear on competing browsers. It’s also pretending to be a desktop browser (if selected), which is not a good thing for developers who are expecting a desktop browser. The result is a less than optimal experience for the end user.
  2. chris

I could have gone on and I'm sure plenty of you have ones that I missed. Feel free to jump and let me know what you'd change.
  3. Aximtreo

Aximtreo Member

Looks good to me. I would only add direct synch with Outlook for contacts, calendars and tasks.
  4. Zeuss1220

Zeuss1220 New Member

Native Messenger App. I expected Windows to have instant-messenging features from its 'core'. I mean it has mail and calendar, why not mail? The Windows Live And Windows Phone integration is one of WP7's selling point. the App by Miyowa is okay, but i want it to be as good as Messenger 2011, with Facebook chat built in.
  5. WinningGuy

WinningGuy New Member

The things that I believe they should address for the first update are:

1. copy/paste of course
    2. access to Camera for devs
    3. limited multitasking. Maybe just start out with having 1 third party app running in the background at a time.
    4. native messenger app, with a messenger API available for 3rd party apps to take advantage of
    5. Outlook syncing
    6. adding BACK and FORWARD keys to the software keyboard
    7. custom ringtones
    8. ability to share audio and video to skydrive, mms, or email
    9. Separate volume controls for ringer and device sounds
    10. Alphabetical menu for apps (like there is for contacts)

I'm hoping that speed will get better as developers get more familiar with the platform.

I also believe that landscape keyboard support may have already been addressed. I went to an AT&T store on Christmas Eve and attempted to show my wife the landscape keyboard/IE issue on the LG Quantum. But when I tried to show her, the address bar was there and I was able to type in it from landscape mode. So maybe it's an update that was already pushed to LG because they really needed it, and the rest of us will see it when the official update comes out.
  6. izzypizzy

izzypizzy Member

I personally disagree with this one, I'm happy with the slide up -> answer/ignore function, but I suppose there's nothing wrong with having the option, options are always good! Otherwise, nice list!
  7. chris

I'm slow and miss calls.:p
  8. EatCereal

EatCereal Member

My wants are small.

*Folders - to organize my pictures. Yes I was told I can do this through zune, but I don't wanna:)

*videa and audio to send though text. I assume this includes sending animated gifs.

*Yes customized tones. So I can know if i need to get up to check a text. I dont get many calls, so I wont download much for that anyway. Sucks when all your peeps get married and you are still single sometimes. :)
  9. NSH

NSH New Member

Let me preface this by saying I LOVE my phone (Samsung Focus) and the OS. Battery life needs improving but all in all I am happy at the moment.

In no particular order:

*A document repository that is not centered around Office.
    *App management through Zune. You can download from Zune and synch with WP7 but then Zune is hands off at that point.
    *Software volume control within apps like the Zune music player. Hate always needing to use the hardware buttons on the side.
    *Battery info app that does not require using the diag codes to get into. Track Battery usage, etc.
    *More customizations. Most of the apps or default behaviors in the OS have very little in the way of config options. For example when you get a text message and the screen is locked it shows who it is from and the text of that message in a notification at the top. This should be configureable to just notify, etc.
    *Custom Ringtones
    *Camera app actually save your settings.
    *Why the Music & Videos hub is not a Live tile confuses me.
    *Allow local Synch to Outlook (Non Excahnge) - I don't want to only manage my calendar in the cloud. I love the cloud contact management though.
    *Ability to merge mail account hubs if desired
    *Ability to increase/decrease size of tiles by the user.
    *Turn off proximity sensors when in phone calls if desired (configureable option)
    *Turn off screen lock if in a phone call
    *Improved battery life (Already had my device swapped out once thinking that was the problem)
    *Quick enable/disable of WiFi On/Off. I know someone created an app to help get there quicker but I want a simple tile that is On/Off
    *Additional Themes
  10. Despair

Despair New Member

Agree 100% with custom ringtones
  11. TheDFO

TheDFO Member

Someone created an app to get to WiFi on/off faster?

What's it called?
  12. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I forget what it's called, but it's homebrew stuff. It's not available in the Marketplace.
  13. wp7owner

wp7owner New Member

here are some things i need back from wm6.5

copy and paste is already in the next update
    USB Connectivity
    • USB Mass storage, even if you can only see maybe 1 folder and not the sys files, i need drag and drop
    • USB Tethering
    • USB Charging only (basically the phone only asks the computer for power so a "new hardware" notification doesnt show up, android has this)
    • USB Sync (Zune driver)
    proper exchange connectivity, this means...
    • Outlook Tasks
    • SMS Sync (i love this feature, txting at work without taking my phone out, also makes it look like im working hard)
    WiFi Hotspot, this was included in almost all Energy Roms on multiple devices (Wifi Router)

ability to play any format in any resolution (hardware supporting), nice feature of the samsung wave, drag whatever you want on to the SD card and play it

ability to use any type of file as a ring tone (audio only obviously), i have lots of files in Ogg, mp3, midi, wma and it sucks converting everything

uncripple bluetooth.... WOW where do i start, WM6.5 could do ANYTHING with bluetooth, my car can even dial numbers through its own internal voice command system to any WM or android phone.
    wp7 cant do anything!

bluetooth PAN and OBEX would be nice too

screen shots in any program

ability to turn off the freaking camera sound, it sounds stupid, its annoying, and intrusive, on most wm phones it was either sound on or of, the wp7 camera has no options, i realize providers and carriers *think* it may prevent unwanted pictures taken by weirdo but thats just BS, cameras are a dime a dozen. i doubt they would be using a camera phone,

LED control, the htc desire has it built in from the factory to turn on the LED by itself for use as a flash light, this should also be on every single wp7

skydrive? i dont see any type of proper integration with this service

wifi hidden networks - dont matter if hidden SSID's dont improve security, you cannot ask your network admin to enable ssid broadcast on 30 + APs just because your wp7 doesnt support it, thats totally ridiculous. also ive seen clients where the internal APs are hidden and the public APs are visible to remove any confusion. its not even a matter of security, its just how networks are setup

spaces in usernames for exchange - no clue how this missed this one

word and excel work perfect dont change please :)
  14. krcaso

krcaso New Member

I'd love to have multiplayer gaming on xbox live in the phone even if it is made only available through wi-fi
  15. Brett Watters

Brett Watters New Member

I don’t agree with many of Chris’ improvements. Speed of applications is mainly an issue with the applications, screen shot is pretty minor, YouTube is fine and if it needs an app YouTube or someone else can do it, etc.
    My top 10 would be:
    1. Outlook Sync. Inexcusable. This included adding a standard to-do application and syncing appointments, tasks, and contacts with desktop Outlook. Folks will not change the way they work on a $2000 computer in order to use a $399 phone. Paying for an Exchange server, using new email addresses, using online programs, buying third-party memberships, manually uploading contacts, etc. along with all the hassle to do this, is a complete non-starter when Windows Mobile, the iPhone, and others do this already.

2. Easier PC setup. Too many steps including Zune, Windows Live accounts, etc. If Zune is your sync system, have the ability to wizard your way through the setup including adding Windows Live accounts, Xbox Live accounts, Facebook stuff, etc. automatically – rather than doing some online, some in Zune, and some on the phone.

3. Remove the confusing naming. Zune is the name of the music app on the phone, the sync app on your PC, and a physical device you can use to watch movies/play music. Searches, support sites, compatibility lists, etc. all run users into trouble. For example, Audible.com supports the Zune *box* and not the Zune software or Zune phone application. Same with Windows Phone 7 itself – searches routinely give you Windows 7 + Phone; Xbox Live – I don’t know how many folks think it runs Xbox games; etc.

4. Cut and paste. Ok... coming.

5. Proper landscape mode. If you use an LG quantum, the inability for apps and the home screens to remain in landscape mode is more than annoying.

6. Proper application switching. The back is not a good system to get to another application. Having to back out of an email to check a movie’s times is not useful. Having to back through ten screens of your music app in order to get to your running IE is not helpful. The mind simply can’t remember how many screens and apps we went through, so half the time I start with back and then give up and go through start. The start screen should include a ‘Running Apps’ list so you can jump to anything currently running.

7. Lock Screen. Highly annoying for music apps and answering phone calls. The power button should answer a phone call – we can play with the screen later if we want – and there should be away to navigate through and pause songs without having to take the phone out of our pocket. Something like power should pause and power-power should go to the next song.

8. Local file storage. My $49 MP3 player could be used to move files to and from work as can a $16 USB thumb drive. It seems silly that a $399 phone can’t. It has 16GB of space, a USB, WiFi, and BlueTooth which would all make picture sharing, file transfers, etc. easy.

9. Hidden WiFi pairing. Come on folks... lots of companies and personal networks don’t show their WiFi networks.

10. Custom ring tones. I don’t care, but so many others do.
  16. RobR

RobR Member

Coming from the iPhone and the number of annoyances I have with it, I have little to complain about WP7 as a 1.0 release. Copy and Paste I could care less, I hardly use it now even though I was one of the ones complaining when Apple didn't include it. I find multitasking to be poorly implemented on the iPhone and half my Apps still are not multitask ready, so I don't miss that. I think the one thing I would like to see for for the update would be better control of how your email accounts sync. What I mean is the whole first email account you sync controls the phone business. I'd like to be able to choose which accounts my photos, contacts etc sync to. Not a big ring tone user but it would be nice to get my "Wicked witch of the west" from Wizard of Oz back on my wifes number, it's always good for a laugh when she calls.
  17. chris

Okay, so where do I find this audio file?:)
  18. RobR

RobR Member

I made it from an mp3 I found online and trimmed it, but it was a while ago and don't know where I found it specifically or I'd point you to it.
  19. EatCereal

EatCereal Member

They should fix the call history.
    If I call Xbox live 5 times. It doesnt need to be listed 5 times.
  20. ln1000000

ln1000000 New Member

There is a way to add custom ringtones to the phone at the moment, but it involves alot of third party software and you need the Microsoft Deploy Tool with the WP7 SDK

Please note currently I have only found a way to deploy RINGTONES, not ALERT TONES yet, looking into it as we speak.