TomTom 6 and Q9h

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by U-2, Apr 16, 2008.

1. U-2

U-2 New Member

TomTom 6 and Q9h

For those who (as me) had a problem with TomTom "no GPS found" and backlight:
    Here is a small launcher (starts the GPS and fixes the backlight). Change lnk file if your pathes are different from mine.

Attached Files:

2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

welcome aboard...

great first post !
  3. agnulag

agnulag New Member

Thanks, and need help...

Your launcher sounds like what I need: I installed TomTom 6 on my q9h tonight, and am getting the "No GPS" error. (After setting it to SW Com 4 in GPSID) How do I use your file? What are your paths? What is the backlight problem? Thanks!
  4. U-2

U-2 New Member

If your TomTom is installed in \Program Files\Navigator\
    then copy MyTTLauncher.exe to the same folder, copy tt.lnk anywere (in \Windows\Start Menu, for example).
    You can change TT.lnk if your installation is different.
    On my Q9h backlight goes OFF after several seconds, to prevent this launcher not only calls GPSOpenDevice(), but SetPowerRequirement() as well. It calls ReleasePowerRequirement() and GPSCloseDevice() after exit from TomTom . By the way, on my Q9h I configured GPS to Com 3, but it should not matter as long as TomTom is configured accordingly.
  5. MisterTedster

MisterTedster New Member

By any chance, you wouldnt happen to be able to create a launcher for garmin mobile xt would you?
  6. U-2

U-2 New Member

GMXT works fine without any launcher. But if you need to start GPS and to turn backlight on before starting any program, you can change path in TT.lnk from
    141#"\Program Files\Navigator\MyTTLauncher.exe" "\Program Files\Navigator\TomTom Navigator.exe"?\Program Files\Navigator\TomTom Navigator.exe,-101
    to
    XXX#"\path to the launcher" "\path to the program"?\path to dll or exe for icon, icon's offset in dll or exe
  7. agnulag

agnulag New Member

Not working yet...

Thanks U-2!

I must not have TomTom configured correctly. I put your launcher in the directory with TomTom and the TT.lnk file works, but i still get the "No GPS found" message in TomTom. Do you have any suggestions? I tried using GPSID as per some other postings, but still nothing...

Using q9h, setting "Other NMEA GPS" in TomTom, tried Com 3 and Com 4 with several baud settings (after making appropriate settings in GPSID).

Thanks again!
  8. anderwm

anderwm New Member

What's the benefit (if any) of TomTom over GarminXT? I have just gotten GarminXT running and it seems pretty smooth.
  9. U-2

U-2 New Member

Does any other SW (gpsTest is free) works?
    Turning the GPS on first time requires several minutes of clear view of the satellites - GPS has to download almanach and ephemeris.
  10. U-2

U-2 New Member

There is only one problem with Garmin - it is slow. Route calculation/recalculation is 5 times slower than with TomTom. And Garmin recalculates route on almost every ramp here where I live - either maps or GPS on Q9h are not precise.
  11. fire00

fire00 New Member

guys how do you enter addresses in tomtom?
    i have the issue with the wrongly mapped keys on my q9h.
  12. U-2

U-2 New Member

For TT6 to switch between letters and numbers press and hold contacts key (on the bottom second from the left) untill hear a beep.
    Fn will be a backspace.
  13. fire00

fire00 New Member

thanks man, I know this shortcut. It is no longer working after I upgraded to the newest firmware. Still any idea?
  14. U-2

U-2 New Member

Did upgrading to 6.1 change key mapping?
  15. fire00

fire00 New Member

it is not WM 6.1 (unfortunately) just another (newer) WM 6.0 version. The Motorola service did the upgrade with some improvements like battery life...The disadvantage is the absence of the key shortcut to change keyboard mapping so I'm not able to use TomTom.
  16. U-2

U-2 New Member

What is the value for HKCU\ControlPanel\Keybd\APP5_LongPress on your Q?
  17. fire00

fire00 New Member

there is no such entry
    which value should I enter?
  18. U-2

U-2 New Member

Mine has the following values:

(hex)
    HKCU\ControlPanel\Keybd\
    APP5_LongPress=d0

(string)
    HKCU\keyboard layout\Preload
    Default=e001ffff
    HKCU\keyboard layout\Preload\1
    Default=e001ffff
    HKCU\keyboard layout\toggle
    Hotkey=1
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Layouts\e001ffff
    Ime File=iTap6IME.dll
    Keyboard Layout=00000409

there no space in between 1 and f in e001fff
  19. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Hm. I'm using the Q Global, and my value is 208.
  20. U-2

U-2 New Member

d0 (hex) = 208 (decimal)