To get Ozone or not????

Discussion in 'HTC Snap | Ozone' started by zbhover, Dec 13, 2009.

1. zbhover

zbhover New Member

To get Ozone or not????

Hello everyone I just joined and am thinking of getting an ozone from verizon, I'm just not positive yet that I should get one so was wondering if you guys could help out??

So I haven't had a smart phone yet, but my wife had a storm for 2 weeks and it was a neat phone and I used it quite a bit when we were on vacation at the time. The touch screen keyboard just drove me nuts.......... LOL Which is why she got rid of it and now just has a normal phone.

From this experience I know I HAVE to have a phone with a full keyboard.

I'd be getting the ozone for a "toy" more than anything. I'm just having a hard time spending the extra $30 a month for the smartphone service... LOL

I guess my biggest concern is with it being a non touch screen phone. I know there are TONS of free WM apps out there. Being that the Ozone doesn't have a touch screen will it still run most apps??? I'm just worried that I'd get the phone and 90% of the free apps out there would end up only working with touch screen phones... I've looked at the touch pro 2, but I don't have $150 to spend on the phone, the ozone is free so thats a +.

To help offset feeling bad for spending $30 a month for the smartphone plan I figure that I could cancel my $10/mo XM radio and just listen to streaming radio on the phone, and also MP3's. How well does streaming radio work on the ozone???

I don't need it for work as I'm an industrial mechanic, I just need a phone for that. I carry my phone with me at work so I'd keep it in a leather case, but I was thinking the non touch screen ozone might be more durable for me?

I also am a webmaster of 3 websites on the side and do search engine optimization for 2 of these companies also and the other is my personal website for my hovercrafts, woodworking, and V8 VW beetle project...

I figured that having the ozone would come in handy for these because I'd be able to check stat counters and such whenever I wanted, because sometimes I get to busy to get to a computer.

I also figured that It would be nice to be able to check my work email (outlook on an exchange server), webmaster emails and personal email whenever I wanted.

I also read several online forums(hovercrafts, v8 vw's, hotrods, etc) and it would be nice to be able to keep up on those during the day when I had a chance. There are a lot of days that I don't end up having a chance to get on the computer at night when I get home and catch up on all of them.

So what do you guys think, would I be happy with the Ozone?? Should I wait until the touch pro 2 gets a little older and the price comes down??? are there any new phones coming out with a full keyboard and touch screen in the close future that might be cheap???????

Thanks for all the help!!!!!
  2. sixbennetts

sixbennetts Member

I'll chime in here!

GET THE OZONE!

Seriously, I too am a recent convert from regular cellphone to smartphone, (which is the industry standard term for Windows Mobile Standard, meaning a non-touchscreen smartphone), and I don't regret it one single bit. I got it recently to stay in touch both at work and at my son's bedside.

Touchscreens and tinkerers do NOT got hand-in-hand! If you're anything like me, you'd be wiping the damn thing off constantly. With an Ozone, the buttons are matt finish, so hide the finger grease well. Keep your fingers off the screen, your toy will look good *most* of the time.

As far as the perceived lack of apps for WM Standard, BAH! Simply reading the stickies here in the Q sections, you can see that you can find enough small apps to both do just about everything you want online, as well as clog up the poor Ozone like a single toilet in a house full of Thanksgiving relatives! That's NOT to say the Ozone can't handle it, it can. One of the fastest phones out there. All the things you mentioned above that you want to do can be done easily by this excellent little machine.

About the $30 a month, what do you spend weekly on beer, cigs, fast food, etc.? Your particular vices? $7.50 a week to get the same funtionality as your home computer, and it fits in your pocket. No brainer. Play with some of the features and options on your account, I bet you can get pretty close to cancelling that out on your bill. Add to that the ability for this thing to replace whatever music source you carry around, (Ipod), and it's one stop shopping for your connectivity AND multimedia needs.

Depending on your connection, you can log into XM from your phone and listen online, right? So, you can keep both, or use something like Pocket Player from Conduits, and go podcast for your music. I've been able to find 1000's of stations to listen too. As far as streaming music, haven't gotten to that yet, but I'm sure it won't be a problem for the Ozone.

Your webmaster needs and websurfing will be liquid-smooth on the Ozone. Add the Skyfire browser for anything flash. As far as your email needs, this thing is SO easy to set up for email. Took me about 2 minutes to configure, and now I don't even go to my PC for them anymore. Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, Verizon, anything. And it's all kept in a handy message center with it's own dedicated button. Easy-peasy, Lemon-squeezy!

Toss out your notions of touchscreen, and get yerself into the 'Zone, friend.

(I hear they're working on hover-mode for it over at XDA-DEV!)
    [​IMG]

JK:dft010:big_smile
  3. rampart51

rampart51 New Member

I've had my OZONE for 2.5 months now and luv it.

I bought it from someone on EBAY who had used it for about a month. He didn't want to pay the extra 30/month for data so he sold it......to me....190.00

Once you have an OZONE (don't buy from Verizon) activate it on PAGEPLUS Cellular. 29.95 a month for 1200 minutes, 1200 texts, 50mb of data a month....no taxes. They use the standard prepaid Verizon network.

I don't use data that much because the OZONE has WIFI. I use that instead.

I really enjoy the phone....get one!
  4. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Active Member

5. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

If nothing else you have 30 days to return it and get something else. Provoded you got it from Verizon and not from fleeBay
  6. mrchambo

mrchambo New Member

I'v ehad my 'Zone since August and love this thing to death...it is my first smartphone as well. I toyed with the idea of a touchscreen but the grease factor steered me away.

However, I am quite enamored with the new HTC HD2, which has a glass screen with some type of treatment that pretty much prevents fingerprints et al...really cool.r
    But for now, the 'Zone is it for me. No problems and I am running ookba's 6.5 ROM with no issues.

The thing is blazing fast for web activity and has decent battery life. I also got a 1650 ma battery which improves usage by about 20-25%.

I say go for it. You will not be disappointed.
  7. chinch

chinch New Member

the imagio/tp2 onscreen keyboard is probably as good as the ozone's keyboard (which is tight/crammed). unfortunately for you they're the same price.

i don't really buy the "i need a keypad" 'cause i thought that myself at one point. that said... the ozone is a great phone with wifi, gps, and it's fast/responsive & very easy to use (i recommend facade 2.0 and removing sliding panels). Works great with opera mini 4.x

plenty of winmobile non-touch software (plus ozone will run 6.5 if that matters, probably not an issue)
  8. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

9. mrchambo

mrchambo New Member

Amaze GPS is free for one month according to the website. After that, it appears that it's 2.25 euro per month with an annual subscription.

If this is not correct, please let me know...

thanks,

JC
  10. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

Well after a bit o research it appears that Amaze is no longer free. Starting with version 5 there is a charge.
    I think I still have version 4.5 which is still free. Can't currently test this to be sure.
    (See attached)
    If this is not it maybe we can find it somewhere?

Attached Files:

11. zbhover

zbhover New Member

Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm now pretty much positive that I'm going to get an ozone......... :dft010:big_smile

I'll let you all know if I get one and how I like it when I do. I'll try to contribute to the forum....

Thanks again!
  12. mrchambo

mrchambo New Member

Good on ya! You won't be disappointed...please do visit when you get it!

JC