Tips on getting started with 9m.

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by seafood, Feb 4, 2008.

1. seafood

seafood New Member

Tips on getting started with 9m.

Just bought a Q9m online. Should be arriving in a day or two. Looking forward to having this phone.

Thought it might be wise to get some input on this thing before I even break it out of the box.

My needs for this are very simple. I have NO data plan and don’t plan on getting one. I will use it as a phone obviously but also the calendar/datebook feature as a PDA, will use texting features, and will attempt to use this as my mobile music player. (don’t own an ipod or zune)

Again I will not be using it for internet, or emailing so I am not too worried about the device being slow.

Questions:
    • How have you all found the 9m to function as a music player? Will use headphones but also would like to plug into home stereo unit
    • Are there good 4gb mini SD cards and bad ones? Are some faster or slower or are they all the same?
    • Am I right in saying that to sync my phone calendar to Outlook I need a data plan? What about all this ActiveSync stuff?
    • How would you manage your music on your PC to best transfer music to 9m? Should I just download iTunes or is there something better?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to this forum.
  2. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

1) It has worked out fine as a music player for me, but you may want to get another program to use as your default media player. Note that you will need to get a 2.5mm to 3.5 mm adapter in order to use regular headphones and to plus it into your home stereo unit. Lots of ppl have had success with bluetooth stereo headphones if you want to go that route.

2) I guess there are good and bad cards . . .don't know if you would really notice a difference in speed among the different brands, but I'll leave that to someone else to answer. I prefer Sandisk and/or Kingston for my memory card needs.

3) You don't need a data plan to sync with outlook unless you are doing it over the air via an exchange server or other similar option. If you don't mind plugging your Q into your PC via USB cable or via bluetooth, then you can sync with outlook w/o a data plan.

4) Some ppl use playlists through Windows Media Player. I've been lazy about and have just been dragging the albums/songs I want to my memory card via a card reader.
  3. seafood

seafood New Member

Thanks to everyone for the OVERWHELMING response to my first post!

I will gather every last tidbit of info that all of you have provided to make sure that my experience with the 9m goes well.

I guess I will just lurk from now on.
  4. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

got sarcasm :}
  5. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

OOOOOOR rather than waiting for people to GIVE you the info (as one member so nicely did) you can help yourself and search our wonderful forum...
  6. seafood

seafood New Member

Went through 15 pages of archieves, thanks.

Thought I would ask for help before screwing things up...funny...isn't "help" waht alot of forums are about.
  7. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

they sure are.... but also all forums have a search feature (that should be used more).

check this out.
  8. oresteez

oresteez New Member

funny, i just ordered my Q9m and should be getting it today or tomorrow...i was going to post a similar thread....

i didn't notice any stickies on the subject...like a "what to do when your q9m arrives"...like getting rid of certain bloatware, etc, etc..

i'll do a few searches and see what turns up...
  9. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

well welcome, have you see what i linked in this post ? :}
  10. n99hockey

they are all about help...and all your questions have been answered many a times...

atleast acknowledge the person who responded...

also and fyi...a member whos first post has a list of basic questions before searching is usually over looked

1. have an mp3 player so i dont use it for mp3s
    2. read the 4gig sd card thread
    3. no you dont need a data plan for outlook
    4. just copy and paste song files to the device and then play them
  11. seafood

seafood New Member

Forgive me for not being a Rhodes Scholar.

I am somewhat Tech challenged. As I said I did searches and still decided to post.
  12. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

it's all good....
  13. oresteez

oresteez New Member

Unfortunately for me, my work's web filter has decided to block that web address :( lol

What am I missing? hahaha

is it a checklist of what to do with your motorola Q9m when it arrives? hehe, i've been doing some searches, and havent seen anything like that...anyone know if one exists? maybe it would be cool to start one and sticky it...

i've seen similar ideas on laptop websites, that are really great to read and USUALLY helps to avoid people posting extra posts..
  14. n99hockey

no its not a link to get started

the Q is different for everyone. everyone has different priorities and interests...so to put up a thread of 'how to get started' doesnt make much sense....
    basically turn it on and then look at all the program threads we have to see if there is anything you want
    get active sync installed and read the hacks...thats it...
    all i can say is read read read...
  15. oresteez

oresteez New Member

hehehe that's all i've been doing.. :)
    i just wasnt sure if there was anything obvious on the phone that most people wouldn't want..and if there were any particular hacks/apps/mods that almost everyone would want.. :)
  16. n99hockey

again its all up to the user

alot of people swear by the 'sent message hack' where you dont get the message that the text was sent...
    but to me i need to see that so i know it went through....
    go through the hack threads that are stickied and see what sounds good
  17. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

you know, for the first year i had this "hack", since the last MR i did not do it and i kinda like it, plus after a few seconds it goes away on it's own.
  18. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

a few things to look into...

TCPMP - much beter media player than the winblows version. (check you tube sticky )

Jeyo and/or Sprite backup - handy for when things go to poo

SKtools or SKlite - help keep Q running at its best

some others you will need later, but these are a good start..and keep reading :)
  19. n99hockey

exactly...its not a pain in the ass...
    but then again some people like things done in under 3 seconds....

anywho...sometimes i dont get that message and find my texts in the drafts folder...i would never know if the screen never came on with that hack...
  20. oresteez

oresteez New Member

just checked out the link, hahahah good stuff :)