Timer-is my Q9m new

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by sixbennetts, Mar 12, 2008.

1. sixbennetts

sixbennetts Member

Timer-is my Q9m new

Hi folks,

Just bought a Q9m for my son, and its wigging out, (locks up,freezes, now it wont even start)

Getting a brand new Q on saturday, i need to know how to check if its new or refurbished. Most other cell phones have a life time timer that you can go to to tell wether the phone is new or refurbished. How do i do this with the new one im getting saturday if its brand new.

Thanks!
  2. jmaynard1986

jmaynard1986 New Member

If the box they give you is the the same as the original (with pics and info on the outside) chances are its new....

If the box is plain white or brown cardboard, its a refurb....
  3. sixbennetts

sixbennetts Member

Thanks, I'll watch for that. This thing is so cludgy, I thought maybe I got a refurb!

Is there such a timer on this phone?

Also, how do I know if this wasn't one that somebody turned in? Is Verizon abover that kind of nonsense?

Hope so.
  4. jmaynard1986

jmaynard1986 New Member

Im not aware of such timer but Im not 100% sure...

As far as getting a previously returned unit, look for the blue plastic screen and keyboard covers... Also a new one should have a white plastic cover on the "M" in middle of earpiece...

(on Q)
  5. coop5571

coop5571 New Member

Go to: call history/menu/view timers

This will show last call, All calls, Incoming calls, Outgoing call, Roaming Calls, Data calls, Last timer reset date, Lifetime calls.

Should be what you are looking for.
  6. SimonQ

SimonQ New Member

Is there a way to reset the lifetime call timer? Just wondering if they do that when the send you a "new" phone...?
  7. spork27

spork27 Member

You can reset the timers. Although, in the Call Timers it tells you when the last reset was done.
  8. SimonQ

SimonQ New Member

Yeah I see that but it doesn't reset the lifetime call timer.
  9. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i was not sure but i didn't think we "customers/users" would be able to reset it... the carriers may be able to.
  10. SimonQ

SimonQ New Member

Ok that's what I figured, so I'll probably never know if I got a refurbed or used phone. Oh well.

Rude you are 99 posts away from 20,000 posts that's quite a feat!
  11. bobby-n

bobby-n New Member

pffff.... that aint nothing : )
  12. He'll have that by nightfall.
    Anyhow refurbs to me are better than new.
  13. SimonQ

SimonQ New Member

I agree with you as long as it was refurbed by the manufacturer. I'm more worried about my phone I bought on Ebay that some little punk sold and cleared the timer to sell it as new.
  14. Gotcha! I don't think they would be smart enough to reset the timer and get the phone back together.
  15. DaSniper

DaSniper New Member

Just One thing: If it's Windows, It's going to be hacked some way or another.
    I was just surfing the registry of my new phone and searched for "timer" and it pointed me to:

Just have a look for yourself! :happy:

DON'T MESS WITH THOSE VALUES as I don't know if there is not a value somewhere that needs validation, as if the timers have been tampered with.

If a buy a new phone, I expect the seller not to have tampered with the timers. When I sell a used phone, I don't sell it as New. If we all keep it that way, we'll always have trust between sellers ans buyers.:w00t:
  16. welcome aboard DaSniper!
  17. EQBob

EQBob New Member

That's an interesting opinion. Mind if I inquire as to why?
  18. just cause other than the 9m which kills my point.... especially this month :)

a refurb was typically taken off of the production line because of some defect, etc.

They are tested twice.

Anyhow that is my warped thinking. Plus my wife's original V not the enV was replaced and to this day still works if needed....
  19. DaSniper

DaSniper New Member

It's the same thing here! I prefer refurb! Just as Tony Bag o Donuts said, they're checked twice. You're sure that you have a working unit. And it sometimes comes with the same warranty as the "new" thing, but for a fraction of the price! It's a win-win combination!
  20. I am a pro photographer (kinda) doing lots of weddings.
    Just ordered a third camera as a backup....its a factory demo which means a local shop used it to show it off, gets sent back to the manufacturer.
    They check it and sell it as a refurb/ demo.....with full warranty