Time Stamp on Verizon Q9C

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by npoly, May 20, 2008.

1. npoly

npoly New Member

Time Stamp on Verizon Q9C

I found a bug today that, even though small, can be quite annoying. When receiving txt messages, the time stamp is always dated with Eastern time set. I live in Chicago so all my messages are stamped an hour later. When I called Verizon tech support they had no idea of the issue and said that if enough people called in about it, they would try and release a patch in about a month or so. Anyone else have this issue? Im more worried about what will happen when standard time goes back into play. Will we have messages stamped 2 hours or more, depending on where you lived, displayed in the message box?
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

have you changed your time settings to central time?
  3. npoly

npoly New Member

Of course...I tried several different time zones. It would always offset for eastern time. The tech even went through it, he got the same results so apparently, its on a batch of Q9C's.

At first, they tried to tell me that the reason is because the main switch is in PA and that Im in Chicago. They later did some tests and noticed that it occurred with every time zone. I also had to remind them that Ive had several other phones from Verizon that didn't do that, no matter where I traveled. He finally admitted that it was a bug in the new phone. When it will get fixed, nobody knows.
  4. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

ah i see
    well i just had to ask the question...you never know bout those vzw csr people...
  5. npoly

npoly New Member

The first one I spoke to was pretty clueless, the second though seemed very competent. The bad thing was, he told me I may be better off with the new BB curve. When I tried to process the exchange, they wanted to charge another 70 bucks for it. Even though they were the same price. The CSR stated that 5 days ago, the BB was more expensive and that they would have to go with that price since I got the Q 5 days ago. Isn't that something. I didn't know phones depreciated faster then cars Huh?
  6. npoly

npoly New Member

Because of this incident, I am really considering returning the phone, breaking my contract and going with the Q global with ATT. I've been with Verizon for years and they still show very little loyalty to their customers.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Would it be a good move or would I be asking for more trouble?
  7. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

you it be worth the expense? May be worth a short wait and see if they come through with a fix.
  8. Angry Beaver

Angry Beaver New Member

I wish Sprint would do this when the handset won't hang up.

:thumbdown
  9. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

My text msg's appear to be showing the correct time... and I am in Peoria Illinois.
  10. npoly

npoly New Member

Edit: Are you with Sprint or Verizon? As of now, they claim it is only affecting Verizon Q9C's.

Did you buy it in IL? Mine was shipped by Verizon from PA. They are claiming that is one of the reasons the East coast time stamp is ingrained in. I might try and take it to a verizon store today to see if one of theres does the same thing.

Also, have you changed your time zone to see if it shows the correct one when changed?
  11. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

If I am not mistaken, I think mine shipped from St. Louis. I find it hard to believe that when Motorola produced these that they were manufactured based on geographical location within the US. Have you tried a master reset?
  12. npoly

npoly New Member

Yes, I tried the master reset, didn't help. One thing I did notice...when setting my time to Central (GMT-6), it was an hour ahead. I had to manually change it. Maybe it could have something to do with DST? I tried to reapply the DST patch. It didn't really do anything. I'm stumped and it seems so is the Verizon tech support.
  13. sulster

sulster Active Member

I recall seeing a setting on my Q9c for either automatically/manually applying DST. Have you tried toggling that?

EDIT to add: go to Settings --> Phone Settings --> Clock & Time Zone on 2nd page
  14. npoly

npoly New Member

I tried that as well. Still a no go.

Now it's starting to get frustrating. It seems like they had all the bugs worked out on these phones. Everything else on the phone works flawlessly.
  15. randallflagg

randallflagg New Member

why did you apply the dst patch for? if I recall that only affected wm5 phones. do a master rest and see what happens. back up everything first of coarse.
  16. npoly

npoly New Member

I reapplied it to see if it would help. It didn't. I have already gone through a master reset. Didn't help much either. It only happens on the text message inbox. On the outbox, MMS inbox and outbox, the time is stamped correctly.
  17. npoly

npoly New Member

Spoke to Verizon again last night. They confirmed, it is an issue with the fist batch they released. They said Motorola is working on a fix for it. They estimated about 6 weeks for the patch to be released.
  18. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

What do you mean by "First Batch"? I got mine 3 days after they were realeased and I don't seem to be having this problem. Sounds like someone may be blowing smoke up your... i mean in your face. ;-)

Anyways, as long as they fix it, I guess that is all that matters. I would demand a new one... no one else here seems to be having a problem... and when I say new, I mean DEMAND a BRAND NEW one... not a refurbished one.

Jon
  19. npoly

npoly New Member

They most likely are blowing smoke up my you know what...

Quick question, have you tried changing your time zone then sending yourself a message to see if the time stamp reads correctly?
  20. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

OK, I sent myself a test message and everything looks good... time and all.

I then went to START --> SETTINGS --> CLOCK & ALARM --> DATE and TIME and changed my settings to GMT-5 Eastern US and it still showed my current time...

(That is wierd, I was expecting it to show the EASTERN time.... huh)