Time for another round of Favorite Apps Thread!

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by brada55306, Aug 4, 2007.

1. softspirits

softspirits Guest

Actually I don't use AIM at all, pretty much just MSN ... I really want to instal MSN Live for Mobile, but I haven't seen it or found it, just heard talk of it, and saw it as an option in the homescreen xml file, which I completely don't understand when it isn't even installed.
  2. henrylcr

henrylcr New Member

Ah. I see. Well, I don't use MSN, so I haven't fully followed these things through to their conclusions, but you have a Q9c, right? I think you're one of the ones who responded to that weird thread that sprang up when I asked about my settings panel having gone blank... If you do have a Q9c and you haven't already deleted the link, there's a link in your start menu to for instant messaging. It'll want you to download and install a .cab if you haven't already. I did that, just cuz I was curious, soon after I got my phone. That program has MSN messaging. And yeah, when you install the program it asks if you want to enable the instant messaging homescreen so you can see your status on the homescreen. Sadly that's not a paneled homescreen, but, at least for AIM, it does show whether or not you're online and how many of your buddies are online. It looks like you could also be signed into two messaging... programs isn't the word... environments or something, and it would list them separately.

If you already did delete that icon, I'm sure it's still hidden on your phone someplace to be reinstated, or, since I haven't deleted the .cab yet, I'd be happy to send it to you. Or, if none of that appeals, google revealed this: http://www.gowindowslive.com/Mobile/Landing/Messenger/Default.aspx?Locale=en-US I didn't follow that any further than seeing that it wanted to send me the link by text message.

And thus ends my knowledge of MSN messaging.
  3. softspirits

softspirits Guest

Thanks for your help. Before 6.1 the instant messaging program that came on my 9C crashed my phone everytime i installed it, requireing master resets, so I don't use it anymore. But i did install Slick, and I do like it. It doesn't show anything on my homescreen, which is a bit of a bummer, but the program is so small and takes up such little memory/resources, its worth it.
  4. aristocrat

aristocrat New Member

Call Log

Anyone know of a good call log program. I need to be able to store all calls (received and made) in a log for quick reference. I tried Unlimited Call Log but it seems not work and the arthor's web site is down. Thanks for your help,
    Aristocrat
  5. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

If a freebie simple text file is all that is needed....SKTools Lite can export a call file. It shows incoming/outgoing/missed....

I suppose you could then import to Excel too.....
  6. freki

freki New Member

I really like Octro Talk. It supports nearly all of the clients (MSN, Yahoo, AIM, Google, Jabber, ICQ, etc.), is fairly simple, is FREE, and has a status widget thingy that plugs right into your home screen so you know when you're online/offline, have new messages, etc just like sms and email.

Octro Website (download link on home page)
  7. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

My Favorite Apps:
    (These applications are all free unless specified otherwise)

1. Dashwire - Best backup program that I have found so far. I have used it to restore my contacts to my Q several times. Works perfectly. Allows you to essentially text message your contacts via remote-control using their control panel.

2. Palringo - Very solid and clean multi-client instant messenger. It runs in the background nicely, and features instant voice messaging, as well as picture messaging. Supports all the major clients: Google Talk, Yahoo, AIM, MSN, ICQ, and more.

3. Skyfire - Need I really say more? The best browser on the block right now. Browse Youtube as you would on your desktop without hacks or plugins. Fast, free, and very powerful. Makes browsing extremely pleasant on the Q.

4. Live Search - Very handy program, features voice-command searches, weather, gas prices, maps, driving directions, and much more. If you're GPS isn't locked down, I believe Live Search can do GPS location and directions. I'd highly reccomend this.

5. Windows Live Messenger - I know it's somewhat redundant to have this with Palringo, but the Windows Live for Smartphones is very handy for checking your Windows Live Hotmail account via your messaging screen. The messenger is also quite useful if you use MSN a bit to chat with friends.

6. PocketDOS - My personal favorite, being an old-school DOS user myself. This is essentially a full blown DOS emulator for your smartphone. It lets you mount your storage card as a drive, and features many many different tweaks and options. I managed to get Commander Keen (a very old DOS game) working on my Q the other day and it's a blast. If you're into DOS, this is a must-have for your smartphone.

7. Orb - Orb is not a smartphone application, but a program you run on your desktop that allows you to stream video, audio, and all your files to your mobile device securely. You run Orb in your desktop's system tray, and then from anywhere you have an EVDO connection on your Q, you can access all your DVDs, music, documents, and files from anywhere. DVDrips are automatically streamed to your device with no conversion on your part. I can download a video file, and when it finishes it I can stream it to my phone at work from my laptop at home. A definite must-have file.

8. SKTools Lite - Goes without saying this program is required if you use Windows Mobile. It cleans your junk and temporary files, invalid registry entries and shortcuts, and optimizes your windows mobile system. Has a feature "FreeUP RAM" that releases memory and improves your smartphone's performance. I highly reccomend this piece of software.
  8. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

Keen on the Q ?! that must kick ass...

(is it pocketdos.com ?)
  9. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

commander keen
    now theres something i havent heard in ages
  10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i know... and what about the possibility to perhaps play Larry I on the Q :}
  11. n99hockey

i could have sworn i saw LL for the smartphone not more than a week ago....
  12. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

are you messing with me here ?

my name is rb, and i was/still am a Larry addict :}
  13. n99hockey

no im not
    bah now i gotta find it
  14. n99hockey

15. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

16. n99hockey

no problemo!:tounge:
  17. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

18. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

thanks.... 8Mb ?! wow.. 1 more question, do you run the registered version ? ($33.99)
  19. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

Nah...I'm a cheapskate. Free version all the way.
  20. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

yea, most likely i will go that route :}