This Is My First Post On Eq... Please Help!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by chris1harrison1, Dec 14, 2006.

1. chris1harrison1

chris1harrison1 New Member

This Is My First Post On Eq... Please Help!!

I have recently purchased the Q and have the unlimited data plan for the Q.. I am going on a trip out of town this weekend and was wondering if it is possible for me to use the Q as the modem for my laptop while in the car... If so, how do I set this up? TIA
  2. mad3963

mad3963 New Member

Yes, you can do this, but you also need to have the Broadband Access added to your plan ($15/mo.) and VZ Access Manager software on your laptop. I have this and it works great, as long as you're in a good EVDO signal area. Best to call VZW or stop by a VZW store and get this setup.
  3. cocoon

cocoon New Member

Download PDANet. You will have what you need in a couple of minutes.
  4. bildy

bildy New Member

Will there be any charges for using this if I have the unlimited data plan? Just a little nervous because I will be bypassing the extra $15 charge....and this is a work phone.
  5. inf3st

inf3st New Member

I know verizon employees that use pdanet. The only charge that you will incur will be for the pdanet application itself.
  6. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

I work out of my house for a remote office via VPN. I've traveled to Tennessee for a week, and used PDAnet as my only connection to the internet. While I was there, my laptop crashed (bad Karma for not telling work of my "vacation" they were paying me to be on). I used my tethered-Q (via PDAnet) to download the Windows XP SP2 CD, 3 Visual Studio 2005 CD's, and countless SDK's. That plus 5 days of VPN/RDP traffic, I only hit 3.8 GB's, and haven't had any "repercussions" since.

It is my understanding that the way PDAnet tunnels the data, the only way for VZW to see you are tethered is to see the type of traffic coming through (and realizing that kind of traffic could never possibly come from a Smartphone).... and I doubt they do that.
  7. inf3st

inf3st New Member

Were at in Tn?
  8. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

Bolivar, TN. I had to head to Oakland, TN to get EvDO access a few times so I could participate in Webex meetings.
  9. inf3st

inf3st New Member

LoL Bolivar is strictly Ghetto. I don't live far from there.