Thermometer for saga?

Discussion in 'Samsung Saga' started by dragonfly, Apr 27, 2009.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Thermometer for saga?

I was thinking today how nice it would be to have a thermometer app on the phone so that you can not only see what the weather is like outside but inside also, and the actual temp. around you not just in the area you set in spb weather or weather bug applications.

hmmmm

anyone ever heard of this one? im sure someone somewhere has but this time i've even searched first :)
  2. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Don't think there's any chance of that....,Without a thermometer circuit in the phone, which would probably run hotter than room temp anyhow, how would it know?
  3. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

some sort of mercury add-on..plug-in...module? may as well add a turkey baster too! =)
  4. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

I think mercury thermometers are outlawedv now a days anyway
  5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Yeah i figured it would prob. be an impossible feature lol just thought id throw it out there.
  6. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

But they don't outlaw it in fish!!...wth?! :tounge:
  7. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Sorta of an aside....

Some Cisco switches have an internal thermometer OID for the *chip* that you can read via SNMP. That's about as close to anything that I've seen as far as doing actual heat information. I don't know if some of the other switch vendors (Rugged.com, etc) that go into outdoor enclosures, such as cell towers, electrical substation, etc have heat sensors or not. That information is often essentially useless because what you're typically concerned about is ambient air in the enclosure, not the chip. There's a correlation of course, but it changes depending on location / room.

APC used to make a simple sensor that read temp and relative humidity, but was only specced to 50C and so they burned up outside.

I've heard good things about WeatherDuck's product line.
  8. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Cool thanks bob, think ill just deal with the weather bug temp update every so often with the current temp in my area on the top task bar :)
  9. MyPhoneIsBlue

MyPhoneIsBlue New Member

weatherbug puts a temp on your taskbar, you can adjust how often it updates etc.

You don't have to have the full plugin active, just the temp option.
  10. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

hey...blue is here! seen name at phonehome...! welcome...and forgive me if ya been here awhile!
  11. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Yeah phoneisblue thats what i've been doing just running the task bar temp nothing else needed since i have spb weather if needed for rough estimates :)
  12. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

Actually some phones do/did have a temperature sensing unit and the info was returned to the OS. I don't see the indicator in the registry anymore but it might be there. It was used for battery charging purposes.
  13. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Hmmmm...interesting. Even so, it would be higly skewed with the heat of the device and wouldn't be reliable as a temp sensor for ambient air. The switches I've worked with that had this same type of thing had the same problem.
  14. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

it was worthless back then too. basically just to prevent charging a hot battery. todays batteries have it built in.