The ultimate thread to discuss why everyone experiences different battery life!

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Jimbro727, Feb 23, 2007.

1. williec30

williec30 New Member

not to de-rail this topic too much... but what are type of increase are people getting with the 2100mAh battery over the stock battery?

i love the profile of the smaller battery... but need some more usage time.
  2. Jimbro727

Jimbro727 New Member

for me, the slim battery didnt last a day.. the extended 1640 would barely make a day... and the 2100 lasts me over a day.. it hasn't died on me yet *KNOCK ON WOOD* in fact ive not charged it over night like normal and the next day it still has a full charge.. definitely worth it.. and any extended battery gives the Q a better shape making it easier to hold/type on IMHO

--Jimmy
  3. QDJSTEVEZ

QDJSTEVEZ New Member

I can say from experience that being in a signal poor area will drain your battery fast. I was in a signal poor area one day for a meeting (Stockbridge, MA). My freshly charged battery was on one bar by the end of the day. Good thing I had a car charger for the ride home.

I've yet to try Candle-light but will likely get it soon. I've installed SmartTweaks which seems to have helped...and does so with a number of different modifications to the Q's operations.

I'm sure everyone has heard about making sure their Q is set to NOT receive incoming beams (Start/Settings/Connections/Beam), as well as minimizing the frequency of send/receive for e-mail.
  4. hecubusq

hecubusq New Member

Yup, shutting off incoming beams made the most dramatic difference in my battery life. Before, I was lucky to make it 12 hours without my phone dying. Now, I can probably get a couple of days at least from a single charge. For me, disabling incoming beams was the best thing I've done to increase my battery performance.
  5. theicepelican

theicepelican New Member

another thing i've noticed is that if you're not useing bluetooth, shut it off on your phone (just remember to turn it back on when you need it)... ive noticed a good deal more life when i've had it off
  6. bedtech

bedtech New Member

Possible battery life fix?

I have read a couple of posts suggesting that the built in windows alarm clock might be the juice drainer. The posters said they stopped using the built in alarm clock and installed a free lite version alarm clock to take its place. They said that their batteries now stay charged for two days, which is far better results than any other suggested fixes they had previously read about and tried. I was only able to find three people who reported trying this. Two people reported success while 1 person reported no change. So the question is...could the windows alarm clock suck that much?

I have never had battery problems with my Q but have also never used the alarm clock so Im gonna set my alarm to see if there is a huge difference. I am curious if any of you have the battery issue but have never used the alarm. I'm equally curious if any of you have ever been bored enough to try to figure out a problem that your not even having? Lol! Finally, I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has tried this fix and what your results were, if any. As for me, I will keep you posted on my results and hopefully we will soon know if this is fact or fixion ;-)
  7. Somecomic

Somecomic New Member

Black Q

Hello, I just got my Q last week, but....... It seems like for me and my black we are not experienceing battery issues. Candlelight in, bluetooth off, ifrared off, backlight time out 10 seconds, screen timeout 30 seconds. Moderate texting, email checks 3-4 times a day (comcast so it takes forever), decent amount of web useage as I am still playing with it, fairly heavy calling as it is my only phone. Have yet to come home with a dead battery. I do charge fully every night.

I can say that the signal strength DEFINTIELY used to deplete my old phone (not a q) It seemed like when the phone had to search for a signal it could run the battery out in a few hours.

So far though, I have not found the problems that others report.

Peace, Mark
  8. IQTOO

IQTOO New Member

My battery life on the original Q is not good. I have everything turned off and barely use the phone for anything and still have to charge everynight. I keep a spare battery charged because I'm afraid I might be somewhere and need to use the phone, only to have it die on me. I plan to change phones this summer so I don't want to put any money into this one. Btw, I have an extended battery and that too drained quickly. I had a razor before the Q and the battery lasted a week even with BT turned on all the time. Go figure!
  9. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

Thank you for making my point so eloquently. The majority of people who have the biggest issues with battery life are merely new-to-Smartphone users. Recharging your Q every night isn't a battery issue, its a Smartphone issue. You'd be charging nightly with a Blackberry or Treo too.
  10. dnk1102

dnk1102 New Member

I originaly had the silver Q, I purchased the extended the battery almost immediately after getting the phone almost a year ago, it made my battery life great I could go 2 days w/o charging. Just recently my phone came into contact with some liquid and broke, fortunately I have the insurance. They asked if it was ok to send me a Black Q, naturally I said yes. I saved my extended battery (and cover so I have a black phone and silver battery door!) Now, my battery is horrible, I can barely make it thru one day w/o the battery dying. I don't use the web or data, thermust be a block on my account because I can't use mms. I can't figure out the difference between my old silver phone and this new black one to make the battery life so different. any suggestions?