The ultimate thread to discuss why everyone experiences different battery life!

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Jimbro727, Feb 23, 2007.

1. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

I have found that using IM significantly drains my battery. If I use IM for about and hour or two a day I barely get through the day. If I don't use IM I can go two days before I need a charge. I use the original battery and always kill apps and turn the backlight off immediately after I am done using the phone. I make a few phone calls a day, maybe surf for an hour.
  2. Jimbro727

Jimbro727 New Member

yeah that supposedly drains alot.. and it's had mixed results for me.. sometimes it'll be a battery killer.. especially if i'm on IM+ and surfing... but then sometimes i'll leave IM+ signed in all day, reconnecting it whenever i notice it got disconnected, and the battery lasts all day! My Q is so weird like that lol
  3. ZATZAi

ZATZAi New Member

IM is a real killer! The more networks you connect to the worse it is of course, seems that constant data feed sucks the battery something fierce.
  4. boricuafemme

boricuafemme New Member

whats the diff between Ev and 1x? How can I switch it to 1x?
  5. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

EvDO is a new CDMA technololgy than 1x and supports faster data transmission. Only problem is that it doesn't work so hot in low-signal areas, so the phone switches over to 1x. Once a good signal is acquired, it'll switch back up to EvDO. This continuous switching is a battery-drain (not to mention low-signal areas require more Tx power which sucks up battery as well). If you live in a solid EvDO area, switching to 1x will just make your browsing slower, but it won't save you any battery life.
  6. bubbatex

bubbatex New Member

Think about it - anything that is constantly pinging the network is going to drain the battery. For me, making 2-3 hours of calls a day "really drains the battery"!

Oh, $hit, guess I should use it as a phone! :laugh2:
  7. Derk

Derk New Member

But...

...but fewer dates!

I think wearing one on my belt makes me look like Batman.
  8. g-funkster

g-funkster New Member

^ that is so true
  9. marjwilliams

marjwilliams New Member

Yup

My wife hates it when I wear it on my belt. But I prefer it being out of the way and out of my pocket. At least with my Blackberry it was so huge that there was no decision to be made. It had to go on the belt.

I'm a new user but I've read so much about poor battery life that I've stashed chargers everywhere I go. I also have a spare extended battery, but I need one of those cradles that will charge the phone and the spare battery at the same time. Unfortunately I think the $25.00 they cost is a bit much.
  10. Jimbro727

Jimbro727 New Member

I don't know what part of the country you're all from, but here in NY almost everyone has a phone on their belt, and alot of them are blackberries or similar! So wearing a phone on your belt just makes you.. normal? around here.

Yeah, I have a 1640mAh extended battery that I use as a spare, and then also the slim battery. I have a Seidio 2100mAh that I use normally, and it works so well that I no longer have to carry a spare on my person (i used to carry the slim in my pocket with the extended in the phone), but I do keep one in the car *just in case*.

It would be nice to have one of those cradles, but I agree, 25 bucks is steep.
  11. brooklynsugabun

brooklynsugabun New Member

Candelight question

What it candelight? what does it do, why would i need it and where can i get it?
  12. hernandezcar

hernandezcar New Member

Battery life issue...

I own a Sprint Q, since I bought it, I have experienced difficulties to keep my battery in full. After an hour of the full charged it starts to going down. It would last only about 8 or 10 hours with out make any phone call. Now.. my question is.. How do you turn off all the programs that are running or any action that it killyour battery?
    Thanks for the advice !!!
  13. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

As an update to my previous post --- I am now a Sprint user and the standard battery lasts 2 - 3 days depending on usage (heavy-heavy usage it'll last a full day, but it'll be to about 1/2 battery by 11 pm). WirelessSync must have been doing something on Verizon's network to hog up the battery, or I'm just a lucky SOB w/ this new unit.

A friend of mine who just signed up with Sprint with me is seeing longer battery life.... while I love it now, it really pisses off the regressed "SIX HOURS??? THATS ALL I GET??!?!?" verizon MOL1 user within me.
  14. mikemcq

mikemcq New Member

not to upset anyone, but i dont understand the whole battery debate. i have come to terms with the battery not lasting a week like alot of people think it should. the Q is basically a mini laptop computer. i use a laptop all day. if i just turn it on and leave it the battery will last a long time, if i stream music, do a ton of programming, watch movies etc the battery will die in a few hours. if you compare size/battery ratio to that of a laptop, how can anyone expect days of battery with heavy usage on the Q. turn your Q on and dont use i garantee it wil last a long time. but make of calls, surf the web, stream music, watch slingox, use bluetooth, etc and it WILL be dead befoe the day is over.
  15. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

AHMEN BROTHER!!!

While I completely agree with you for the heavy users... those that have 16 POP accounts checking every 15 minutes, MSN messenger connected, bluetooth connected to the laptop's PAN, and their headset, and Receive IR Beams on... they see it as "my phone's just sitting there and it only lasts 4-6 hours." I understand their frustration, but you can only educate them. For the people that have no e-mail, no video playing, no anything going on in the backgound and only receive 8 hours..... I sympathize with them b/c something has to be going wrong on thier phones...
  16. theicepelican

theicepelican New Member

that deffinitally is a factor, a couple months ago i was in a very obscure building at my school, and the signal strength was very low. i was in there for around 2 hours and it did seem to drain the battery when it was searching for a signal.
  17. bubbatex

bubbatex New Member

18. HoosierHero

HoosierHero New Member

When the big update came (last month?), some people were saying that they had increased battery life. I'm not so sure with mine. I don't run a ton of programs, and have turned off email checking for battery concerns. Mine seems to range from a couple of days to 1/2 day. I think it must be something like the EVDO/1x thing that is killing it. Unfortunately, I haven't had any time to drain it with new programs! :smile:
  19. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

Truth is, there are way, way too many variables effecting battery life to make broad-ranging statements like "The Q has Great Battery Life!" or "The Q has lousy battery life!". I've used a succession of Treos, and now a Q and for each I have found their battery life to be PREDICTABLE.

Its enough for me to know that on every forum for every type of smartphone there are discussion strings that begin with some variation of "My battery life sucks!". I also predict that the new Apple iPhone will have a battery that SOME people will think SUCKS (this will be inevitable, as there will be people who expect their phone to hold a charge as long as their iPod).

I think that with the Q, one of the biggest things you can do to improve your battery life is poll email no more frequently than once per hour - using the "every fifteen minutes" setting barely allows the phone enough time to power-down from the task, so its almost always running something processor intensive in the background.
  20. GWK

GWK New Member

The only time I have a battery problem is when I am in a weak area. I lose battery quickly them. For the most part, I am in an EVDO area and get a couple of days from the phone. I talk primarily on a Krazr, so the Q sees only a few hundred emails a day, I stream xm, and surf usually at least an hour. With that, I get 2 to 3 days on the slim battery. If I go into a weak area, I get only a few hours 7-8 before it goes dead.